• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How do you write about the internet?

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
I have an idea for a story that I want to take place, in part, on an online forum...but how on earth do I do that? I am wondering if it would translate better to the stage, but I'd rather write it as fiction because I want more characters and more flexibility in switching between the online world and the real world. Small casts are the standard these days, so I would be limited to maybe six actors in a play (and that's pushing it; I'd rather keep it at four), and it would limit my ability to have offline characters and an offline world. My efforts so far, in both genres, feel clunky and inauthentic. Have you read anything set online? Any advice or ideas? I'm really drawing a blank.

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
A nonfiction forum?

If fiction or RPG based it'd be something like Ready Player One or litrpg type stuff.

If nonfiction and short story, it could maybe be almost epistolary, but it depends how much content takes place "in text".

If it's primarily their " dialogue" (posts) and interactions, Kiss Of The Spider woman (Manual Prig) might give you some ideas.

Otherwise it needs a framing narrative I feel, or an added dimension. Things the characters are doing/saying in real lives around their forum posting.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I've read a few graphic novels (online ones) which centre entirely on the interactions of people in a chatroom.

A chatroom is easier than a forum as it is real time, less disjointed, and you could have that tight cast if you want it, plus the opportunity to log off and follow different people.

Depends how married you are to the idea of a forum versus a chatroom I guess! Personally I think chatrooms are good fodder for writing. Lots of drama.

It may help if your forums or chatroom has a very driven focus. Not just "we're here to talk about politics or whatever" but, we're here to raid/roleplay/debate/plan protests etc.

YMMV. *throws ideas at you *

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for these ideas, Harlequin! I do really want it to be a forum, and it's nonfiction--if what you mean by that is that the characters are talking about their lives as themselves, not roleplaying with each other. I'm trying out just using a template and rendering the forum posts directly, interspersing traditional prose from the main character's POV...but it still feels kind of clunky to me. My internet friendships have been so important to me, and I've always wanted to write something that fully captures the nature of those types of relationships, but it's hard to figure out.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
You are approaching virtual reality. How will you retain reader interest in such an unchanging environment?

I am a big believer in plot, characters, and setting, all as tools to help keep readers immersed in the experience of reading your work.

flowerburgers

Registered
Reaction score
Enlightened, why couldn't a story set online have plot, characters, and setting...?

Last edited:

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Virtual reality can have a totally fluid reality but it depends how crazy you want to go with representing it.

If you do thrash out a full ms at some point I'd be interested to read. It does sound challenging but could b really interesting. I guessing you will have to rely a lot on interiority and/or writing reactions to posts.

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Enlightened, why couldn't a story set online have plot, characters, and setting...?

If your story takes place strictly on a forum, there is a potential of losing readers (immersion in the story), due to things like boredom. You can have very interesting plots and characters, but I think the setting element (if strictly doing a story in an online forum) might be hindered. You can have all three elements, but can you have a setting that immerses people into the story (leaving them a strong desire to read through till the end)?

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

If your story takes place strictly on a forum, there is a potential of losing readers (immersion in the story), due to things like boredom. You can have very interesting plots and characters, but I think the setting element (if strictly doing a story in an online forum) might be hindered. You can have all three elements, but can you have a setting that immerses people into the story (leaving them a strong desire to read through till the end)?
It would be a challenge, but if the writer has a vision and the skill to manifest it, there's no reason it couldn't be done effectively. (Just my opinion. :) )

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Stephen King's Mr Mercedes has some of the action happening online, including in an online forum.

I don't see how online conversations/interaction would be any less interesting or immersive than any other dialogue. Whether it's engaging or not depends on how well it's written and how interesting you can make it. Lots of people enjoy reading online conversations and interaction in real life. It can be entertaining in a soap opera/fly on the wall kind of a way. There's no reason why you can't recreate that in fiction.

As online forums etc are a written media, IMO it lends itself to epistolary novels, but as all novels are a written media, you can easily switch between online and face to face interactions. It's just a matter of formatting it so it's clear (there are other threads in here on that).