Giant Novels

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I adore long books. I don't mind a languid pace or a large complex of plot threads or even digressions, provided the reading is engaging. If a story and a world are enticing to me, I want to spend as much time in it as possible. Many of my favorite books are very long, especially classics like Middlemarch, Vanity Fair, The Way We Live Now - all more than 300,000 words - but some of my modern favorites have similar word counts, like Neal Stephenson's Anathem. I've certainly slogged through some that were longer than they needed to be - the second time through Murakami's 1Q84 I noticed how repetitive it was, and I've been working on John Barth's The Sot-Weed Factor for a while now and have come close to giving up. But in general, I love long, expansive, immersive, detailed books. At least, I'd never shy away from a book based upon its word count alone. :)

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
The cynic in me wants to say that the doorstop novels are still out there. They're just being more strategically written to be released as trilogies (or more). More volumes equals more money.

SKara

Registered
Reaction score
I adore long books. I don't mind a languid pace or a large complex of plot threads or even digressions, provided the reading is engaging. If a story and a world are enticing to me, I want to spend as much time in it as possible.

Me too. I love long books. I find them to be so much more richly plotted, with complex characters and relationships and world-building. And the longer it takes to read them, the more real they feel. I remember Stephanie Meyer talking to Rainbow Rowell during an interview and saying, "Books the bigger the better." I thought I was the only one who had a weird interest in long books, but apparently there are lots of people who like reading them.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
The cynic in me wants to say that the doorstop novels are still out there. They're just being more strategically written to be released as trilogies (or more). More volumes equals more money.

As it's actually fairly difficult to break a narrative apart, even into a series with cliffhangers, I'd say that when it's done it's less to do with greed than with wanting to get the thing published in the first place.

It's also a lot more expensive to produce three books, even if they're shorter, so I'd be a little surprised to see a publisher push to break up a book they've already acquired. (And I have a vague memory that this has actually been done, at least once? But I doubt it's common.)

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I adore both types of books, but there's nothing like sticking your nose in a really good long book and savoring every little bit of it.

It depends on the book, but it can reap magical wonders.

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
You're not the only one. I've run into this before. But thanks for the explanation. It seems to be related to an effort/reward ratio. Shorter books obviously get a reader to the end more quickly. Longer books take more patience and more sustained attention to the characters and plot. I suppose to some readers, getting to the end is a stronger reward than taking the journey. A long book requires falling in love with journey itself, to the point where the reader isn't tempted to stray. I can see the appeal of preferring shorter books; you get a feeling of accomplishment at having finished. OTOH, a long book that is also engaging/gripping/emotionally compelling can become a place you'd have to pry the reader away from, and when they do have to put it down, they can't wait to get back to it. I've read some like that.

Couldn't have put it better myself, though I have yet to read a shorter book and feel satisfied when I reach the end. Its all about the journey for me.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
A very complex book often benefits from being shorter, at least for me.

A lot of Gene Wolfe novels are on the slim side, 80k or less per volume, and the heart quails to consider how daunting they'd be if they were incredibly long as well as incredibly dense >.>

But then I read Jane Eyre without complaint and that's pushing 300k so who knows. Although I'd have said that's more exploratory than dense; she devotes a lot of time to musing, meandering, self debate, micro tensions, the complex minutiae of life at which she excelled at writing.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
But then I read Jane Eyre without complaint and that's pushing 300k so who knows. Although I'd have said that's more exploratory than dense; she devotes a lot of time to musing, meandering, self debate, micro tensions, the complex minutiae of life at which she excelled at writing.

I love Jane Eyre, but tbh I skip the whole St. John Rivers section when I re-read it.

Interestingly, wikpedia claims it was originally published in three volumes. :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
though I have yet to read a shorter book and feel satisfied when I reach the end. Its all about the journey for me.

Yeah. The ending itself may be satisfying, but if I really enjoyed the book, I'm not satisfied to reach the end, but rather, it leaves me hungry for more.

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
I've got to really love a long book to stick with it. I'll give it more time too before I decide whether to continue, maybe 100 pages when a shorter book might get only 50 or less. I've rarely read a long book that I thought was just right; they could all use edits to me, Stephen King included, and Martin definitely (I skip whole POVs in his Ice and Fire books and don't seem to really miss them).

I think the only long books I've really loved are historical novels. The genre is expansive and epic enough that the space is needed. Most contemporary stuff. . .not so much. I don't read a lot of sci fi, but I did like Red Mars and a few other fatter ones. Fantasy can be longer in my opinion, but so many people seem to go way overboard, usually with world-building that can get really turgid, or overly complex plots with a cast of zillions.

But then, I'll forgive anything if I love at least one character in the book.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
I love Jane Eyre, but tbh I skip the whole St. John Rivers section when I re-read it.

Interestingly, wikpedia claims it was originally published in three volumes. :)

That (publication in 3 volumes) was standard in that age.

I prefer mid-sized books. I love to spend time with a good book, but it'd have to be really good for me to stick with it for 1000 pages. I don't get a lot of time to devote to reading, and my eyes make it difficult to read for long periods, so it would be exhausting for me to read something that long. It would take me months. But I also don't love super-short books--they usually don't get into the characters' psyches enough for my tastes. So, around 100k words is my sweet spot for reading AND writing.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
All thing being equal I go for the longer book. If a book turns out enjoyable I want it to last as long as possible, preferably it should never end. As a matter of fact, I generally avoid shorter books as they tend to end just as I get stuck in the story.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
As it's actually fairly difficult to break a narrative apart, even into a series with cliffhangers, I'd say that when it's done it's less to do with greed than with wanting to get the thing published in the first place.

It's also a lot more expensive to produce three books, even if they're shorter, so I'd be a little surprised to see a publisher push to break up a book they've already acquired. (And I have a vague memory that this has actually been done, at least once? But I doubt it's common.)

Well the book I will release (hopefully) this fall is a very, very long novel (over 330,000 words). Originally, my idea was three volumes. Two came out in French with two different publishers, because the editor in the first publishing company left. I got the rights to revert to me when the second editor also left the second company, and then I decided to rewrite the whole story in English (some parts already existed in English).

I always wanted to get the whole story out. It took me several years to write, to edit, to rewrite, and all that. When I edited I took out 300 pages. It's not a series, it's just a long book. I know this kind of length is impossible for an agent, or a publisher. I thought of serialization, but since the book is finished, it doesn't seem to be a good idea. So I will self-publish. What I want now is to get the book out and we'll see about readers. Some like short books, some like long books. I feel that if a book is a good book, you're just happy to be involved with the characters. I hope it will be like that for my own! :)

I'll let you know...

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
If the story and characters are good, I feel cheated if the novel is short.

I forget where I heard this but it was a LONG time ago... When you turn the final page of a truly great novel, you wonder what happened to the characters on their next day.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I forget where I heard this but it was a LONG time ago... When you turn the final page of a truly great novel, you wonder what happened to the characters on their next day.

No novel in history epitomizes this thought more than The Count of Monte Cristo, by Alexandre Dumas. 900+ pages, fine print, in the Penguin Classic paperback edition I read many years ago, and unputdownable throughout.

Perhaps the most important personal story about my reading Cristo was that I actually read about 100 pages of it sitting on a rock on a beautiful Mediterranean day on the Château D'If, offshore of Marseilles, on a tourist visit back in 1992. I broke away from the tour group to do that. For those who don't know the story, the Château D'If, which was a real prison island and has the remains of a real prison on it, was the setting for the beginning of Dumas' tale of treachery and vengeance. They even have a cell there that they claim was the one Edmond Dantès, Dumas' hero, escaped from. Which is complete merde de boeuf, because the story really is fictional.

I still have that volume, in very good condition, and ain't nobody ever going to take it from me.

caw

Last edited:

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
I know this kind of length is impossible for an agent, or a publisher

Not impossible, no. But the writing and the story have to justify it, so the bar is set very high for books like that.

Good luck with yours! :)