Do you/Can you read books while writing your own?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Palmer

Registered
Reaction score
This is a really interesting question.
I'm never able to read fiction while writing - it's massively disrupting for me.
However non-fiction is no problem.

HarvesterOfSorrow

Registered
Reaction score
Of course I do. If I only read when I wasn't working on a novel/short story, I'd barely read at all. I read every day, no matter what. The creative muscles have to be worked by writing just as much as reading.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading about eight books concurrently, which probably explains why it's taken me two months to write 1000 words.

Manuel Royal

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
donnetowntoday.blogspot.com
I'm on my first serious attempt at a novel in a long time, so haven't had to deal with this issue much before. I'm still reading fiction (usually just a few minutes here and there), but won't be starting any long, dense novels before I'm finished with my own project. Even though some of what I'm reading deals with ideas and themes similar to what I'm working on, I think (hope) my own take is different enough that I'm not copying anyone.

MatthewSteele

Registered
Reaction score
I find that keeping a regular intake of fiction while writing fiction is actually beneficial to the process. While writing I can often feel drained mentally and need some inspiration. Finding a good story; whether its a show, movie, or book, that I really like can get my inspirational juices flowing. (On the other hand I also sometimes come across material that I secretly feel is inferior to my writing and that also encourages me haha.)

thereeness

Registered
Reaction score
I go through spurts. If I'm going through a writing slump, then I go through books like they're candy. I think I read like 3 ebooks in one day at one time? I know I've read over 60 books since April (April/May was a really rough time for me.)

On the other hand, if I'm deep in the writing trenches, am inspired, and actually going places, I hardly read at all. Reading is a huge distraction for me, but it can also help if I get stuck in a rut. It's just getting back into the writing after so long reading that's the tricky part, haha. So, no, I don't really read while I'm writing, cause it distracts me, unless I really need the distraction to keep going.

SaifTheWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think it's really important to read as you write...for me it's the same as watching a movie or a good TV series. If I don't read or watch anything whilst I'm in my drafting process then my own creativity starts to wane eventually. By reading new content I can develop or adapt ideas that could solve the puzzles in my writing..

Status
Not open for further replies.