• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I give up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Questioner

Registered
Reaction score
I give up. I'm done. For a year now, I've been trying to find the flaws with my writing; I've taken several courses and bought several books, but none have managed to solve these problems. I can almost hear your scoffing by now. What an impatient newbie. What an amateur. He's never gonna make it in writing. But, you have to admit, if you had tried developing a skill for a year, a whole year, twelve months and three hundred and sixty five days, without much result, you would feel at least a little dishearted, wouldn't you?

My writing feels boring and stale. It's not just boring to read and edit, but it takes me hours to write only a thousand words.

One year, and I still haven't learned how to write well. I honestly don't even know what the f*** I'm doing anymore.
Please, if you have the time, take a look at the piece below (it's something I just scrambled together for you to see what an awful mess my writing is) and reply with some critique. I don't know what else to do.

#
She couldn’t remember the last time she had seen the town as such: tiny. Emily looked down at the photo again, as if she had hallucinated. Wow. It had really grown over the years, hadn’t it? It was almost nostalgic seeing the old town again, when it had just been a couple few houses with a hundred, give or take, citizens who traded wares and gathered each Friday in the village’s around a campfire.

The town was now nearing the thousand-citizen-counter. The cracked, grey walls were now webbed into dry twines, and the white paint all the buildings were drenched in had started to crack.
What had happened? What had gone so wrong? It was so full of life, been so innocent and, y’know, cared about the people who lived there. But, now, you couldn’t step foot outside without seeing a poster stamped with big letters, revealing that a young child had disappeared, or that some recent murder had taken place, or a robbery.

It didn’t matter what the government said. It didn’t matter how much they tried to calm them. She refused to believe that the town was innocent. A feeling of something not being quite right had followed her ever since she was a child. It couldn’t be, it just couldn’t. Why would such a seemingly perfect place be without flaws, without secrets? Of course there were.

But no one ever said anything about it, because everyone knew that it meant death.
#

Last edited:

Vhb_Rocketman

Registered
Reaction score
The excerpt reads a bit clunky but that's ok for starting to write a year ago.

Honestly, you sounds like you need to take a break. Do something else for a few months or even a year. If you still feel the urge to write then you can start again. It sounds like you are putting too much pressure on yourself to be good and it's getting into your head. You need some time apart from your writing.

Who knows. Maybe in a year you'll find your spark. Or you'll completely forget about writing and be happier for it. And you know what? That's perfectly fine.

You can't force artistic output. And it sounds like you've reached that point. So take a writing vacation. And if/when you get back remember that writing should be fun and to write for yourself, especially in the early stages.

satisverborum2003

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chantalravens.wordpress.com
Writing takes time. I have probably been writing since I was a 6 year old and now I'm 28 years old and it isn't until now that it all finally started to click. The best practice is to write as much as possible, edit, rewrite and start all over again. I have written 4 novels that are never going to see the light of day and probably hundreds of half-finished and short work. Saying that, however, there are some things that can be helpful when trying to improve your craft and that is starting with the basics. Forget everything you have learned and just study the basics of grammar, characterisation and plot. Trust me, this would really help you. Also, read a lot and try to study other author's work to figure out what they're doing right. Then, try to get some feedback from other people, whether that's a writing group (online or offline). Just put your work out there for critiques. I don't read much writing books but if there's one book you should get if you're serious about writing would be "self editing for fiction writers".

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
Writing should be a matter of heart, the skills can come later. Is there a story in your head you just love? Then write it down. Not for pay, intending to sell it to anyone, but just for yourself. If there is no more enjoyment in writing, and you do not love your stories or their characters, then perhaps you're right to quit.
aHR0cCUzQSUyRiUyRjQwLm1lZGlhLnR1bWJsci5jb20lMkY5NTY2ZGJmZmI3ZGU2YmI2MzgwYzU1N2UzMzcxOTljNSUyRnR1bWJscl9ubnZ1cDZmT3d1MXF6NGQ0Ym8xXzUwMC5qcGc=

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
This really isn't the place for critting - SYW's better for that. So I'm not going to crit.

On top of that, though, is the contradiction. Are you quitting, or are you not?

It may be, as the previous poster said, you need to take a break. During that break, I suggest reading. A lot. Read new stuff. Reread old favorites. As you read, stop yourself now and again and think. How is the author drawing you in (or failing to draw you in)? What, in those courses you took and writing books you read, is the author using, what tools or techniques? What does the forest look like? What trees are growing in that forest... and what trees aren't? Moreover: do you like what you're reading, or are you forcing yourself to eat it like a brussel sprout casserole, because Mom told you it's good for you? (Hint: being an adult means you don't have to choke down that lousy casserole if you hate it... and if you're writing, you can write all the danged ice cream desserts you want, 'cause adult!)

Good luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
The best way to learn how to write is to do it. And then the second best is to get critiqued on it (in the proper place, which this is not).

I feel like the fact that writing feels boring to you as you do it is a more important reason to give it up than that you feel like you're not learning anything. If it was just that you felt like you weren't learning, a year would totally be nothing. It'd be practice practice practice. But if the act of writing is not enjoyable to you, I can't blame you for not wanting to continue it.

Here's my suggestion: Give it one more try. But this time, don't worry about improving. Don't worry about being perfect. Don't worry about whether you're skipping over things that you know the book needs. Don't worry if the plot has holes and your characters need better introductions. And don't worry about how many words you're writing in a given timeframe. Write something completely for you. If you're not enjoying it, go in a different direction until you are.

Improvements happen with practice and in revision. You don't have to worry about it in the writing stage.

The first time I got to a point where every. single. word. was like pulling teeth, and it went on for a year, I decided to give myself permission to write just for me. My friend and I went to a cabin for a 3-day weekend and I worked on a silly little Christmas novel that I knew, for sure, I would never be able to sell. So I didn't worry about the fact that it took 10K before the action started or whether I was getting details right, or what an agent would think about the scene I was writing or whether that joke was too old for my "target audience" because the target audience was me. I wrote 42K in that weekend (the full book because it was an MG), and I had a ton of fun writing it. And, yeah, I'll never sell it, but it got me out of my slump.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
But, you have to admit, if you had tried developing a skill for a year, a whole year, twelve months and three hundred and sixty five days, without much result, you would feel at least a little dishearted, wouldn't you?

Disheartened? No. A year is hardly any discovery time at all, but think of all you've learned. Here's a tiny lesson for next year: And, or, nor, but, for, yet, and so are coordinating conjunctions. Commas usually precede them for compound structures, but when they begin sentences, a comma shouldn't automatically follow.

She couldn’t remember the last time she had seen the town as such: tiny. Emily looked down at the photo again, as if she had hallucinated. Wow. It had really grown over the years, hadn’t it? It was almost nostalgic seeing the old town again, when it had just been a couple few houses with a hundred, give or take, citizens who traded wares and gathered each Friday in the village’s around a campfire.

Another lesson for next year. Five "hads" is a bit on the repetitive side for a short paragraph. After the first "had" establishes past perfect, it can be less boring to slip back into simple past.

Last edited:

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
Sage, quick question. What proper place to get critiqued are you alluding to? Are you thinking writing groups or perhaps something else? As a first timer I have no clue whether what I write is bad or terrible, but would love to find out

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Do you enjoy fanfiction, OP? If yo'uve never tried it, give it a go.

I hope that doesn't sound condescending. But fanfiction was massively helpful to me. It's got a difficulty that naturally scales because *you* choose how much to deviate from the plot, the established characters, the established setting.

The other bonus--you're writing in a world you already love, so it's already interesting.

It does take time. And it can't be pushed imo. I couldn't write a birthday card five years ago, and no amount of "forcing" myself to learn writing made any difference. One day it just clicked. Like that whole time my brain had been downloading a Writing file and I just had to wait for it to finish ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Share Your Work, loaderbot: https://absolutewrite.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?26-Share-Your-Work

password is vista

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I felt like that, too, during my first year of writing. I expected too much from myself, quick, easy success, just because I'd had a short poem and other work accepted. Slowing down and not worrying so much helped me. Like others mentioned, maybe you just need to take a break or focus on enjoying your own writing, rather than worrying about being successful (right now, when you've just started).

Sage, quick question. What proper place to get critiqued are you alluding to? Are you thinking writing groups or perhaps something else? As a first timer I have no clue whether what I write is bad or terrible, but would love to find out

Sage is probably talking about the Share Your Work forum that's near the bottom of the AW's forum. It has its own password and members have to have a minimum of 50 posts before they can share their work for critique. But you can browse, even though you don't have 50 posts, to help you learn the ropes.

Last edited:

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score

Sage is referring to the Share Your Work (SYW) forum here at AW. The password is vista.

You need 50 posts to be able to post your own work for critique, but you can head there now and look at other people's work. You may even want to try your hand at offering a critique or two.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Questioner, have you ever heard the Ira Glass speech on the creative process? It's here, and particularly for someone who's feeling the way you're feeling, worth a look and a listen: Ira Glass on Creativity

ETA: I also have to ask: why would you post something for crit that you "just scrambled together?" Nobody's first draft is any good - I don't care if you're Jane Austen or Tolstoy or Stephen King. It's almost as if you want us to validate your poor opinion of your writing by posting something you know needs work. And that's not fair - not to your writing, to you nor to us.

Last edited:

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I'll check that section out. Might be a while before I offer critique though as I fear it would be worthless at this stage.

Sorry for hijacking the thread Questioner. Although I know little of writing I know much about pursuing skills/projects. What matters is enjoyment. As long as you enjoy yourself, everything else will fall into place given enough effort and time. Best of luck!

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Share Your Work for small sections & beta readers for full novels.

inksplatter

Registered
Reaction score
It doesn't hurt to take a break, OP. Do something else for a few weeks or a couple of months. The best way to 'learn' writing is to read and critque others.

Head over to SYW to see what other people are writing. It's quite fun.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
For scrambled together I thought that was fine. You've got character with a problem and a setting.

As far as the twelve month thing, it may be down to your sensibilities. Let me rephrase that. I can bring 20 books home from the library. This is twenty books I picked out intentionally at the library because I thought they were all worth trying. Not to beat a dead horse, but these are twenty *published* books.

And every time I do this (or worse, drop a hundred bucks at the store on a bunch of titles) I get home all excited ... and one by one, as I read more than the opening page, my hopes fall. Until I have a stack of twenty books -- none of which I had any desire to dive deeper into.

Some books I could live inside of. Finding those books is sooo haaarrrrrddddd.

What *this* means is that you have written a fantastic book that someone (and maybe many someones) will love.

For any book. Any single book. 98% of people will never read it. There have been 100 million copies of the first Harry Potter book sold. There are eighty times that many people on the planet. Roughly 98% of people have never read it. Of those of us who have, some people actually don't care for it or think it should be done differently.

There's a huge push right now to have The Last Jedi re-done. Why? Because people like to complain.

You should write because it fulfills something in you. You should stop writing if it hurts you to write.

You should not stop writing because you think other people don't 'like' what you have written.

Last edited:

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Second Harlequin's idea of writing fanfiction! Find the fandom you most love and write something! It's a great way to get your chops going and get some practice. And while you're doing that, keep working on your original stuff. Most things worth doing in life take longer than a year to master. I know sometimes I feel discouraged when I see people churning out 2-3 books a year (and I LOVE reading their books!) and think how goodness, I have not managed to publish one yet, but comparing myself to what others can do is just not useful. Every year that I have pursued this, I have gotten a little better, and I take pleasure from it. And for me, that is what is most important.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You mention having taken several courses and bought some books (I presume you mean writing instruction books). What else do you read? The best way I know of to improve narrative skills, other than writing a lot, is reading a lot. Of good narrative writers, in a variety of genres. You don't even need to get heavily analytical when reading good writers. A process of subliminal osmosis tends to take place, and you develop sensibilities about what works well in narrative writing. So, to repeat, what narrative writing do you read?

caw

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
I have some experience with this feeling OP. I've only been at this a bit longer than you (about 20 months). A few comments about what I've learned along the way:

1. As others here have said - take a break. That's hard for me to do because I tend to be very narrow-focused. But we have to realize, no learning process is linear. There are always ups and downs, setbacks, and periods of discouragement. You must accept that. And actually, it's a good thing in a way - if the path to success was easy, nobody would ever give up, and there would be nothing special about persevering. Many, many people quit when they're at the stage you're at. If you push ahead, you've beaten them all, and have taken the next step whether you know it or not.

2. A year is nothing. There are people on here that have been writing for decades. It's very humbling to people like you and me, but again, we have to accept reality.

3. I have found that writing is very, very lonely. Here's why: Nobody who doesn't write has any clue how hard it is. I'm 20 months into my first WIP which is only 70k words. I wouldn't dare admit that to anyone except my incredibly patient and supporting wife, and the wonderful people on this site. Even my wife must be secretly wondering why the hell it takes so long to write so few words, and still have a such a mediocre product. People. Don't. Get. How hard this is.

4. Writing is unique in that nobody will ever level with you and tell you that you should quit. If I were to tell my family and friends I was suddenly going to dedicate myself to becoming the next QB for the Dallas Cowboys, they would all tell me I'm crazy. But writing? Oh sure, anyone can do that! Everyone's a writer! You'll get better! Keep at it! You'll never get an honest assessment that hey, maybe writing just isn't your thing. So, you have to decide on your own, and like I said in #3, it will be lonely. I say for now, take a break and recharge.

-- Just my musings for the day. Hope this helps.

(edit) Oh, one other thing - In my (very humble) opinion, classes and books on writing aren't going to help. At least for me, my only learning has come from the process of writing itself, reading, and engaging in discussions with others such as on this site. I just think writing is an art, and you can't teach art. I know there's a lot more nuance involved than that, but, that's just my feeling.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
In my (very humble) opinion, classes and books on writing aren't going to help.

They might help with certain specific issues, but I agree that they won't teach you how to write a good story for the enjoyment of a reader. There is no cookbook. And even in cooking, apprentice chefs learn a hell of a lot more by watching good experienced chefs cook than they ever will by reading recipes.

caw

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Right. And I know I can be a bit extreme on this issue, but aside from the basic techniques like you allude to, I really believe that practice (hours and months and years of practice), and absorption coming from being around or observing experts, are the real keys to learning. There isn't a professor out there that can take credit for giving us Ernest Hemingway or Stephen King. I mean, which came first? Great writers, or classes on how to become a great writer?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I guess that depends on your definition of great.

Sanderson is my answer to Stephen King. (Bear in mind, I don't enjoy either writer). He studied creative writing and applies technique/craft rigorously. Although he doesn't, for me, have "the spark" in his writing, it's very readable, and he works INCREDIBLY hard at his career.

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Mastery takes about a decade, unless one is a Mozart in one's field.

And only started really owning my style on the 9th:) And it still it needs like twenty edits to stop being too clunky.

Last edited:

Questioner

Registered
Reaction score
Questioner, have you ever heard the Ira Glass speech on the creative process? It's here, and particularly for someone who's feeling the way you're feeling, worth a look and a listen: Ira Glass on Creativity

ETA: I also have to ask: why would you post something for crit that you "just scrambled together?" Nobody's first draft is any good - I don't care if you're Jane Austen or Tolstoy or Stephen King. It's almost as if you want us to validate your poor opinion of your writing by posting something you know needs work. And that's not fair - not to your writing, to you nor to us.

Yeah, I suppose that was kind of stupid of me, but I did it because I wanted people who read this thread to get a sense of my writing style and what flaws it's got, just so that I could get some short feedback on how I can improve.

Questioner

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for your answers!
I've decided to take a break from writing. I'm currently on summer vacation (I'm 15 years old, so, I just finished the first year of high school), and I'm currently planning to take these two months off, and then return to writing.

I realize claiming that I was going to 'quit' was immature. I wouldn't have the guts to do it (I don't know if it's just me, but I feel empty if I don't write, y'know), but it was a heat-of-the-moment-kind of claim.

Status
Not open for further replies.