Hello to all! Writer of sci-fi, fantasy and literary fiction here.

AnimaEditing

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to this forum, though I contribute on a few others. I'm a professional freelance editor, but also an aspiring novelist. I've written a few novel-length works, but none that I've attempted to publish. I am currently working on a novel that I intend to attempt to publish traditionally. I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic and "disaster" fiction. Especially plagues right now for some reason. I'm currently reading the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. My last read was Circe by Madeline Miller and I cannot recommend that highly enough. It was spectacular.

Nice to meet everyone.

LoaderBot

Registered
Reaction score
Good to have you here! Post-apocalyptic is great, the whole "start-anew" concept provides many opportunities that characters in established worlds often lack.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations Anima, welcome to AW

ryoungwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome! I enjoy disaster fiction as well. I hope I get to read yours one day!

MatthewSteele

Registered
Reaction score
Indeed, a genre I enjoy as well. Let me know if some of your material becomes available to read!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:, AnimaEditing from ChaseEditing. Always nice to meet and greet a fellow editor/novelist! :hi:

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:
I also like post-apocalyptic writings, but haven't read many books in the genre. The last two were The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi, and right after a friend gave me Into the Forest by Jean Hegeland. I found it interesting how two very different writers tackled with disaster in California.

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Hmmm, can't say I've ready any post-apocalyptic books (watched plenty of movies though!). Might have to give one or two a try, I'm always ready to try new genres.

Welcome AnimaEditing, nice to meet you, look forward to seeing you around :)

LF

alkin

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic and "disaster" fiction. Especially plagues right now for some reason. I'm currently reading the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. My last read was Circe by Madeline Miller and I cannot recommend that highly enough. It was spectacular.

Nice to meet everyone.

Post-apocalyptic fiction gives the world an enticing reset button

rainbowsheeps

Registered
Reaction score
Hello. I'm new to this forum, though I contribute on a few others. I'm a professional freelance editor, but also an aspiring novelist. I've written a few novel-length works, but none that I've attempted to publish. I am currently working on a novel that I intend to attempt to publish traditionally. I'm a big fan of post-apocalyptic and "disaster" fiction. Especially plagues right now for some reason. I'm currently reading the Doomsday Book by Connie Willis. My last read was Circe by Madeline Miller and I cannot recommend that highly enough. It was spectacular.

Nice to meet everyone.

Hey there. I, too, am a writer of literary fiction and a fan of post-apocalyptic stories. My favorite post-apocalyptic story though is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. He writes such beautiful prose for such ugly worlds. I'm working on a apocalyptic short story now - but not "post-" apocalyptic (i.e., the world is ABOUT to end, it hasn't ended yet). They're pretty fun stories to tell. Is your current novel a post-apocalyptic one?

AnimaEditing

Registered
Reaction score
Hey there. I, too, am a writer of literary fiction and a fan of post-apocalyptic stories. My favorite post-apocalyptic story though is The Road by Cormac McCarthy. He writes such beautiful prose for such ugly worlds. I'm working on a apocalyptic short story now - but not "post-" apocalyptic (i.e., the world is ABOUT to end, it hasn't ended yet). They're pretty fun stories to tell. Is your current novel a post-apocalyptic one?

Actually my novel is not post-apocalyptic, though I have ideas for one when this one is finished. Plague-related, naturally, since that is my current obsession! I agree that they are fun stories to tell! The Road was a tough read, but the writing is just so great. What is yours about specifically? If you want to share :)

Last edited:

AnimaEditing

Registered
Reaction score
I love post-apocalyptic stories. It all started with John Christopher and then I moved on from there. I always feel like there aren't enough of them out there! I want to gobble them up. :)

I agree! They aren't being made quickly enough for my tastes. The good ones anyway -- there always seems to be tons of zombie virus ones, though I am personally more interested in scenarios that are a little more realistic!

AnimaEditing

Registered
Reaction score
That would be a dream job to me. A freelance editor would be a great position!

:welcome:

It's pretty hard to beat getting paid to read novels! Though work can be difficult to come by.

- - - Updated - - -

Thanks to everyone for the warm welcome! When my novel is done, I will be on the hunt for beta readers, so perhaps I'll be able to find some here!

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, can't say I've ready any post-apocalyptic books (watched plenty of movies though!). Might have to give one or two a try, I'm always ready to try new genres.

Welcome AnimaEditing, nice to meet you, look forward to seeing you around :)

LF

Thank you, nice to meet you too!

AnimaEditing

Registered
Reaction score
:hi:
I also like post-apocalyptic writings, but haven't read many books in the genre. The last two were The Water Knife by Paolo Bacigalupi, and right after a friend gave me Into the Forest by Jean Hegeland. I found it interesting how two very different writers tackled with disaster in California.

I have not read those! I will look into them!

rainbowsheeps

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any plague-related apocalypse stories actually, but I've seen some movies like Contagion, I think it was, that I found interesting (though that movie is far from perfect, if I remember). I also had some interest in the stuff by Max Brooks (e.g., the zombie plague stuff), and plan to try reading that in the relative future. The Road is definitely unsparing in its details sometimes, ahah, but I do love it.

The short I wrote really uses the end of the world as a backdrop for a different story focused on a romantic couple. But, in a sentence, it's about a man journeying through a city in chaos, trying to make it back home to his wife before the world ends. In the story, the entire world knows the end is coming - they had about 2 weeks notice, and the story begins on the last day, when things are really getting intense as a lot of people can't cope.

Can I ask what the novel you're currently writing is about then, if not the end of the world? :p

Melty

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!

Post-apocalyptic fiction gives the world an enticing reset button

I'm not a fan of the reset of civilization. It's already been pushed multiple times in the past! There's some people who believe this is the third or fourth major civilization in the history of humanity. Even Robert Oppenheimer, when asked about whether they had detonated the first atomic weapon, said, "well yes, in modern history." Rather than inventing atomic weapons, they might have simply re-engineered them.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
The very first book I read in this genre was a long time ago, and I loved it. It's "False Dawn" by Chelsea Quinn Yarbro.

AnimaEditing

Registered
Reaction score
I haven't read any plague-related apocalypse stories actually, but I've seen some movies like Contagion, I think it was, that I found interesting (though that movie is far from perfect, if I remember). I also had some interest in the stuff by Max Brooks (e.g., the zombie plague stuff), and plan to try reading that in the relative future. The Road is definitely unsparing in its details sometimes, ahah, but I do love it.

The short I wrote really uses the end of the world as a backdrop for a different story focused on a romantic couple. But, in a sentence, it's about a man journeying through a city in chaos, trying to make it back home to his wife before the world ends. In the story, the entire world knows the end is coming - they had about 2 weeks notice, and the story begins on the last day, when things are really getting intense as a lot of people can't cope.

Can I ask what the novel you're currently writing is about then, if not the end of the world? :p

I really liked Contagion, just for how realistic the pandemic scenario was. I've recently read a bunch of historical fiction about bubonic plague, and have an itch to write a very realistic pandemic-type scenario in a futuristic setting, so maybe my next project will be that. Books I've loved were Year of Wonders by Geraldine Brooks, 41 Days by Lou Cadle (which is apocalyptic, but not due to plague) and Pandemic by Daniel Kalla.

Well your story sounds very interesting! I'm a sucker for those "trying to make it back to his wife" disaster stories. It is the collapse of everything that intrigues me most about apocalyptic/post-apocalyptic books, more than the "restarting civilization parts." Have you written many stories?

Mine is... a sort of psychological thriller, but also not. Let's see, I'm trying to figure out a quick synopsis. It starts with a bank robbery, and two people are singled out by a sadistic robber and assaulted together during the process of the robbery, though the assaulter escapes capture. Five months later the two survivors run into each other again--both of them living lives completely upturned from the experience, and in very different places as far as dealing with their trauma and PTSD--and begin an intense relationship that has good intentions but is actually full of enabling/supporting each other's unhealthy coping mechanisms. This results in a downward spiral of paranoia and obsession, ending in a stalking/revenge plot against their assaulter (that goes totally wrong,) after they unexpectedly glimpse him in a crowd at a festival. So that's the basic outline. The female MC has chapters that are sessions with her therapist, and she is aware of the unhealthy dynamic between her and the guy, but since he tried to protect her during the assault, she spent that 5 months apart wondering about him and sort of nursing a little obsession with him, so she finds it difficult to extricate herself from the relationship. She just wants to help him, but ends up in way over her head.

Okay, that wasn't a quick synopsis at all, but this is literally the first time I've tried to describe it to anyone. I'm about halfway through at the moment, though I've got the major events for the rest of the book in outline.

Last edited: