Such newbieness - An Introuduction Post

Melakku

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there!

Nice meeting you. I am one of the new guys, as you can probably already tell. I recently discovered that my long lost dream of writing a novel has found its way into my mind again and now I can't get rid of it. It's super annoying, but also kind of intruiging. I am sure you know the feeling, irregardless whether you are a novice or a professional in writing.

Anyways, I read the post about what to write in the introduction post so I will answer those questions presented there.

What genres do you write?
Actually, so far, I have not written much fiction in my life. Instead, I became exeptional at thinking about writing fiction and jotting down some ideas or outlines. I attempted quite a few times in my life to write something but I never got anywhere. Looking back, I realise I didn't have the confidence to actually stick to it, to write something til the very end. However, I am older now, and perhaps a little wiser. I have somehow adopted a genuine learning attitude so I think my chances of going somewhere in my fiction writing is possible now. As for what genre I am interested in writing in I would have to say science fiction (or speculative fiction, whatever the correct term is).

What do you like to read?
Classics, science/speculative fiction, and self-help books about writing. However, I haven't been able to read as much as I would like lately but that will surely change during the summer.

How long have you been writing?
I consider myself being a novice writer. I am not particularly skilled at writing fiction, however, I consider myself being somewhat skilled at writing informative texts, something I do for a living.

Do you beta read?
Currently, I do not. I do not consider myself sufficiently skilled at critiquing the work of others. However, if/when I finish my first novel I will probably start doing that.

Do you have any particular hobbies? Are you expert in any particular field or craft?
I am interested in movies, video gaming, travelling etc. I am working as a full time patent professional, so I get to work with a lot of cool stuff. I get to write alot of complicated texts too.

What are you looking for in this forum?
I recently read that you are the sum of the people you interact with, so I figured I need to introduce some writers in my life if I am to become a writer myself. So my goal is to get to know some fellow writers to exchange knowledge, experiences, and questions with.

Anything else you want to share?
I am not a native English speaker. I am actually Swedish, so I do know English pretty well. However, not to the extent that I can't guarantee that my writing will not be infected by above average number of writing errors. I plan to write in english too, so any tips about useful material for improving my english are most welcome. Feel free to comment if you see some frequent mistakes or poor writing style. I am here to learn!

audibob1

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, Rigel7!

I gotta say, I'm pretty impressed that English is your second language! You speak it (or write it, anyway! haha!) very well! English is my first language. I tried to learn a second one but it is SO. DIFFICULT. I have so much respect for people who are fluent in two languages.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

TinaG

Registered
Reaction score
Hello Rigel7 Nice to meet you!

AW is the prefect place to surround yourself with other writers that you can learn from. I think you would be a great beta reader no worries if you decide to jump in. Anyways, Welcome to AW!! :hi:

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome: - Rigel7 - (By the way, my neighbor is Swedish, and she is a lovely, witty and fascinating person.)