AW is an Amazon Affiliate

Buy Scrivener 3 for macOS (Regular Licence)

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Does anyone feel guilty about giving feedback?

Threaded View

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin BagfootBandit's Avatar
    I don't feel guilty about my feedback. It's important to not feel guilty in my opinion, as it distracts someone like me from what I'm there to do, which is to help the author improve their work. It helps to be as specific as possible when addressing the problems I see, so it keeps me from overusing potentially emotionally loaded words in my critique (like the dreaded "boring"). I'll always put in at least one example of how to improve, in particular if it's a recurring problem. I tend to get into the nitty gritty because I like editing, so my comments are usually very wordy.

If the author has the same goal as I do they'll take it in stride, and they're perfectly within their rights to call my opinion bollocks if they like. It's their work after all and they know it best.

I'm not usually blunt, but if I feel I've been a bit blunt I'll try to point out something specific I really like about the author's work too. That tends to soften any bluntness I have in my other comments.
    Last edited by BagfootBandit; 07-10-2018 at 11:56 AM.
    Life is suffering, but there are ways to transcend it.

My self-published novel, The Western Gods:
    https://www.amazon.com/Western-Gods-.../dp/0989659410

My writing inspired by C.S. Lewis' Screwtape Letters, The Angelic Letters: angelicletters.tumblr.com