Agent is passing but suggesting I submit to another agent in the same firm?

greendragon

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.greendragonartist.com
I just started serious querying agents for the first time. Though I'm published through small press, I knew my publisher before I became an author, so no agent or querying was required.

I got what I suspect is a form letter from the VP of an agency. She suggested I submit to other agents within her firm.

"As an agent with an established list, I'm very selective about requesting more material at this time. For that reason, I would strongly suggest you take a second look at some of the other agents at BookEnds in your search for the right fit."

Is that really a suggestion to try, or just a form brush-off?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
She's telling you that she's not taking on many new writers and that other agents at her agency might be a better fit. She wouldn't suggest this if it weren't true.

Earthling

I come in peace
Registered
Reaction score
That was Jessica Faust?

It is form but also true - she's not taking on many authors, but the other BookEnds agents are.

Sage

Currently titleless
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
It reads to me like it’s both a form rejection & an invitation to query other agents there. Nothing to get excited about. It’s not a referral. But it’s not a closed door on the agency either.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Some agents share queries with other agents at their agency; some don't, so they invite the writer to query other agents at their agency if they passed on your query.

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
I just started serious querying agents for the first time. Though I'm published through small press, I knew my publisher before I became an author, so no agent or querying was required.

I got what I suspect is a form letter from the VP of an agency. She suggested I submit to other agents within her firm.

"As an agent with an established list, I'm very selective about requesting more material at this time. For that reason, I would strongly suggest you take a second look at some of the other agents at BookEnds in your search for the right fit."

Is that really a suggestion to try, or just a form brush-off?

Lol, this is a Bookends thing. A bookends agent rejected me on a book a while ago, and suggested I submit to another agent there, who also rejected me. They tend to work together a lot, and are super supportive of their team.

I've since signed with another Bookends agent (for a different book) and have had nothing but great experiences there. Good Luck!

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know why but when I read your title of the thread I thought you were saying the agent is passing away. Glad that's not the case. LOL!

As for her suggestion, do it. She wouldn't have said it if she didn't mean it. Never turn down an opportunity and another agent there might be a perfect fit. :)

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I can't see any agent thinking "Hey, this query really sucks, I'm going to bug all the other agents here by having the author send it to them!" :)

I've seen agents simply hand a query letter to another, more appropriate, agent in the firm and I've seen recommendations like you received. And yes, junior agents or those starting out in the business will be hungrier for clients, while senior agents will only be looking to take on new clients with names like Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Charles Schumer or Mitch McConnell.

Do as suggested. Enjoy the ride.

Jeff

musicblind

May Cause Damage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd take it for what it is.

She's not taking many submissions at the moment, but other agents might be.

Try sending it to others and see what happens?

Thomas Vail

What?
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks - just making sure this wasn't some commonly accepted total brush-off language :)
That's the danger of trying to over analyze things sometimes. If she didn't think anyone at Bookends would be interested in it, it would be simple and clear to say, 'Thank you but we're not interested.'

"-strongly suggest you take a look at other agents-" is a pretty clear statement. It would be some fairly odd reverse psychology to have a rejection include 'look into other agents' if they didn't want a rejected writer to actually check out and contact other agents. :)