U.S. Plans to Withdraw From UN Human Rights Council Today

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The Trump administration plans to announce its withdrawal from the United Nations Human Rights Council on Tuesday, making good on a pledge to leave a body it has long accused of hypocrisy and criticized as biased against Israel, according to two people familiar with the matter.

I'm sure that's the whole reason and it has nothing to do with this

The council also has been a forum for criticism of Trump’s economic policies. In a report on the U.S. due to be submitted to the Human Rights Council this week, Philip Alston, the UN’s rapporteur on poverty, said the president’s tax overhaul “overwhelmingly benefited the wealthy and worsened inequality.”

The report says that while the U.S. has long been the most unequal among developed nations, it’s getting worse under Trump. “The policies pursued over the past year seem deliberately designed to remove basic protections from the poorest,” it said.

Trump has also been called out by the Council for ripping children form their parents at the border.

Well, when you're proud of abusing Human Rights, why put up any pretense of supporting them

Link

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
Pompeo's announcing it now. I can't watch. Where will this all end?

Fingers

My cat Toby
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Somewhere in the woods around Portland Oregon
As soon as I read that they were telling Der Fuhrer that he was violating the human rights commissions rules on refugees, I wondered when he was going to leave the UN. This is pretty close. That's how the Nazis started, small aggressions that turned into bigger aggressions that led to the final solution. Trump is a scumbag for using children as political fodder. No one can be surprised that he acts like a petulant child in reaction by now, can they? He blames this on the democrats, and all they have to do to make it stop is to give him his wall. But if he gets his wall just like that, he will only be emboldened to strike harder. I am now ashamed to be a citizen of this country.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Wasn't it about a year ago that the regime officially downgraded human rights as a diplomatic priority?

This has been coming. Since November 2016, this has been coming...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
America Alone/America the Cruel/America Without Accountability.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
No, we are not cruel, IMO. Most of the people I know are kind. I believe ordinary Americans are more "America" than Trump and his cronies. I am still proud to be an American, but I'm deeply ashamed of our president. The two are NOT the same.

For anyone out there outside the US who may read this, I do not approve. I do not endorse or condone the actions of President Trump. I have written both my California senators, Democrats who disapprove of Trump's policies. Senator Feinstein gives me updates on open impeachment investigations, and she's about the most powerful person I can ask to try to remove him from office. It's not lawful for me to do anything else. And I refuse to become what I oppose.

I just thought that maybe...it might help. If we draw clear lines and say that this man does not speak for us, every chance we reasonably get. It might help us to remember how small a minority are doing these things. That is not to dismiss the amount of damage done (the situation with immigrants and their children alone would make any thinking person ashamed), but the majority of people haven't suddenly morphed into racist, elitist callous capitalists. Most people I know just want to have a decent job, maybe a house, pick up their kids from school and take them to soccer, maybe give something to a church or homeless shelter, and they often lend a hand when a friend or neighbor's in trouble. A lot of us vote, and we mostly obey the law. As far as I'm concerned, that's America. That's who we really are.

I keep thinking Trump has to self-destruct. One day he's going to act on some of his illegal ideas that he's tweeted, and it will cross a line, and his enemies (some of whom are powerful) will bring him down. Not a pleasant prospect to hope for, but the lesson would remind successors that some restraint is required.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I keep thinking Trump has to self-destruct. One day he's going to act on some of his illegal ideas that he's tweeted, and it will cross a line, and his enemies (some of whom are powerful) will bring him down. Not a pleasant prospect to hope for, but the lesson would remind successors that some restraint is required.

Maybe, if it were just him we had to worry about... but he has a whole entrenched network empowering, enabling, protecting, and encouraging him, many of whom have spent years preparing the way for this regime. Just look at what Congress has gotten through, the stacking of the courts. The man's terrible, yes, but ultimately a distraction from the deeper, lasting damage being done, the deeper lines of corruption strangling the nation. Look at the lines of succession, should he be knocked down... none as flashy, all at least as dangerous, and so many would be relieved seeing the spent weed head cut down they forget about the roots and the seeds.

This problem has been years, decades in the making. It will take at least as long to fix - if it can be fixed.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
We've always had corruption. It's a constant battle, that those who make the laws might feel that they are above them.

Maybe it's just that I can't stand to wake up in the morning if I feel otherwise. But I've personally witnessed and read a great deal in history of what good can happen when people stand together. Maybe we're ready for a new Progressive movement to sweep the country. The last one took the blatant inequity of the Gilded Age. People don't act until things get bad.

But in the US, we do usually, eventually act. We try to get better, in our muddled, many-opinionated way, with many impassioned arguments as we lumber along. And we do eventually achieve something good. There are no slaves. Women vote. Civil rights regardless of race are part of our laws.

At one point or another, all these things seemed like impossible goals.

I don't know...I still believe in us, the ordinary us. We can still do (mostly) good things, even though no law is perfect.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I've know people who are kind and cruel, we all know we have the capacity to be both. Trump's vision of America is one of pure cruelty though, and to rise above it, I think we need to face up to the fact that it's been a strain always present in our nation's characters.

But by all that's holy and merciful, I'd like to hope than when the worst part of this is over, there's still something worth being proud of that can drive us forward. Golly I hope that. But time will tell.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
Observing this from the outside.... honestly? I am both enraged and deeply hurt by the nonsensical cruelty and boundless selfishness of the current US administration. Sometimes, I wonder: are we all actually living on the same planet, in the same dimension? Or is there an invisible portal somewhere that switched the compassionate / moral USA with this version of it?

Going further than that: I worry about my friends who live in the country. They're some of the most compassionate and brilliant people I've ever had the privilege to know and call friend.