• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Is getting bored with a scene...?

Status
Not open for further replies.

FlameMaster5

Registered
Reaction score
So, I just gotta ask...

Is getting bored with a particular scene in your work considered a part of Writer's Block?
Or, is this something different entirely?? :Shrug:

I mean, with as many writer's crawling around on this site, there's bound to be somebody else that has experienced this and identifies it as something, correct?
Other than actual boredom, because I'm not bored with my story just...finding it harder than it should be on particular scenes at times.

Maybe I've just thought about it all so much until I'm blue in the face. XD

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
It could be a lot of things - actual writer's block, where you don't know what comes next and feel unable, for whatever reason, to push through; it could be a plot problem that needs solving; it could be simple fatigue, or stress, or it could be that your subconscious isn't that jazzed by the scene because it's a) not that good (yet) or b) not taking your story in the right direction.

I recently spent nearly a month on the opening scene of a new chapter. Eventually, I realised there was zero tension - it was pleasant, dull, completely unnecessary fluff. Once I figured out the POV character's motivation for that scene, and what it needed to reveal, and lead to, I was off.

Good luck!

Last edited:

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In my experience, when I am bored with a scene the reader's going to be even more bored. It might be your brain trying to tell you that this scene should be told instead of shown. So it's on your to decide whether and why the reader needs to see this as it plays out--if they do.

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Because you mentioned boredom, I don't consider this Writers Block. This seems like your muse telling you the scene is not needed or that something is wrong with the way you're trying to convey it. If it's boring to you it will definitely be boring to the reader. I sometimes get to scenes where something just feels off or I can't get through it for some reason. I usually sit and give my mind a rest from the story then I go back and realize I didn't need the scene to begin with. Also, it could be the way the scene is written that's boring you. Sometimes you should write in a different character's POV and not the one you initially picked or if it's just narrative, maybe too much telling is making it boring and you need to import more action or whatever. I'd suggest taking a break from the scene and sit down and ask if you really need it.

Does the scene accomplish something? Does it move the story? Would the story be better without it? Can you lose this scene and it doesn't matter?

According to your answers to those questions, you'll figure out what to do. But, yes, if YOU are bored with the scene, that's not a good sign.

Also, do you outline? Outlining can help you foresee those issues in scenes before writing them.

Last edited:

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Ditto the above. Most of the time when I'm getting bored with a scene or struggling to plow through it, I'm showing something boring or unnecessary, and I end up cutting it later anyway.

Clovitide

Registered
Reaction score
I get bored a lot with transitioning scenes. Not ever scene should be high stakes, high tension, and I agree with summarizing when things get hard to plow through, but think about it this way, what if your boredom is not because of the scene but some underlining writer's block? I always see if it's effecting just this one piece or everything I try to write.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I echo that, "if you're bored with a scene, your reader will be too."

This seems like a fine model to base yourself on.

Devan Isra

Registered
Reaction score
What the others said - whenever I feel bored with a scene, personally I take it to mean it's in dire need of a rewrite. Or complete removal and replacement. If there even needs to be something there at all. If I can't hold my own attention throughout the entire novel that I'm writing because I love it, then something is wrong and needs to be rethought and redone.

DifferentlySeen

Registered
Reaction score
Like the others have said - if you are bored, how will the reader feel. Add conflict and get rid of the boredom.

Status
Not open for further replies.