We're Getting A Death Star

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, I couldn't resist the thread title, but America's own would be emperor is directing the Dept of Defense to create a Space Force.
**cues up Imperial March**

Link

It's going to be more Space Balls than Star Wars, with that fool in charge

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I see where Lucas got "The Force" from now.... Air Force, Space Force. Thanks Don! I think Don should put up at least half his own money to get it started.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
It's going to more Space Balls than Star Wars with that fool in charge

Literally - remember the Spaceballs were out to steal air from pristine Druidia after squandering their own atmosphere...

I still want to know how a space anything is supposed to work in a regime that has actively ousted science from every nook and cranny. It's difficult to reach, let alone dominate, space without a little science...

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Again with this? Where did he GET the idea of a 'space force?' Has anyone, at any point, attempted to explain that outer space is not nationalized? I don't... I ...

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Is it going to have it's own Grand Moff?

My understanding is that the Air Force is the branch tasked with space defense, hence Mattis's opposition to a sixth armed force. And I think it's legitimate to discuss what the US Military's role in space will be, not at all a messed-up thing to suggest or look into.

But these guys... *shakes head* I can't take them seriously.

Again with this? Where did he GET the idea of a 'space force?' Has anyone, at any point, attempted to explain that outer space is not nationalized? I don't... I ...

But, we own the moon. Someone needs to put bases, and then later hotels, on it.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Is it going to have it's own Grand Moff?

Well there is Stephen Miller, so there's that.

But, we own the moon. Someone needs to put bases, and then later hotels, on it.

Oh, for Primus sake, someone did tell the fool the Sea of Tranquillity isn't really a sea, so no beachfront luxury hotels.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
My understanding is that the Air Force is the branch tasked with space defense, hence Mattis's opposition to a sixth armed force. And I think it's legitimate to discuss what the US Military's role in space will be, not at all a messed-up thing to suggest or look into.
This. Best moment to counter an ICBM is _not_ when it hurls down to Earth. As to why a separate military arm I can only guess whoever controls space controls long-range nukes, surveillance, communications, satellite-based navigation & imaging, and orbit-launched ordinance. Such is a necessity in a world about to be swamped by drones of all sorts and sizes.

-cb

Last edited:

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
There's a debate on whether or not land owners own the air column above their property (or air rights). AFAIK, there is no official national or international law about this. Territorial waters and sovereign airspace are relational (troposphere?).

I found this Web site for the below information....

Does space start where we lose Earth's gravity at 62 miles above sea level?

I assume the space force will exist above 62 miles above sea level. Or will it continue down to where rockets are required for propulsion (at or above 50 miles above sea level)?

I could see a "space force" for 50-61 miles above sea level, but beyond that is absurd.

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
I actually listened to his speech, and he also said America was the first in space. He said we're going to "expand our economy into space. " Oh, and before 45, BTW, we didn't really have many plans for space. But since he's come to office, all that has changed. Who knew? 45 is the reason we now have big plans. The biggest. The best. And it's going to be beautiful.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Trump loves air rights -- that's why he bought Tiffany's (and why that kid is named that).

I don't think he's connected those ideas.

I didn't think about him wanting hotels on the moon, though I'm sure if someone mentions it....

Lord, no one tell him -- or Stephen Miller -- about the ISS; he'll insist other countries, ok, other countries besides Russia, obvs., heh, haven't paid dues for it, and we pay too much (we do pay, as we have to use a Russian cab service, because NASA's budget is shit) and yada and there goes that.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I actually listened to his speech, and he also said America was the first in space. He said we're going to "expand our economy into space. " Oh, and before 45, BTW, we didn't really have many plans for space. But since he's come to office, all that has changed. Who knew? 45 is the reason we now have big plans. The biggest. The best. And it's going to be beautiful.

He was ALIVE then ffs. For anyone who thinks he's not addled -- America was the first in space. It's not even something he could be confused about. Sputnik and Gagarin beat the U.S. on both fronts.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Maybe he's jealous that none of the geological features on the Moon are named after him.

Are you sure? American's have a tradition of pulling out their naked butts and showing it to people (as a sign of disrespect). We call this mooning. Does Donny = Moon (i.e. big, ol' butt)?

Last edited:

Alpha Echo

I should be writing.
Registered
Reaction score
He was ALIVE then ffs. For anyone who thinks he's not addled -- America was the first in space. It's not even something he could be confused about. Sputnik and Gagarin beat the U.S. on both fronts.

I know, right? It's insane. He just spews bullshit.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
"I could be bound in a nutshell, and count myself a king of infinite space..."

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
The best Death Star, complete with dog whistle.

"We are going to have the Air Force and we are going to have the Space Force: separate but equal, it is going to be something so important," he said.

Technophobe

Registered
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a multinational agreement not to militarize space? I know multinational agreements mean fuck all to him, but I'm thinking about the fact that if this nonsense somehow goes through, every other country capable of launching something into space has permission -if not justification- to do the same.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a multinational agreement not to militarize space?

I think, by now, we're all well aware of how much respect 45* and Co. have for multinational agreements...

And, yeah, it would definitely open the floodgates - especially for Russia, possibly/probably China, maybe even NK and others our current regime considers best pals.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't there a multinational agreement not to militarize space? I know multinational agreements mean fuck all to him, but I'm thinking about the fact that if this nonsense somehow goes through, every other country capable of launching something into space has permission -if not justification- to do the same.

It's not just an agreement (like an unbinding understanding) -- it's a full-on treaty been in effect like half a century. Space is for international cooperation, no militarization or weaponry, and has been, peacefully, since then. Hence the ISS is truly international, with parts from all over, astro/cosmonauts from all over (all over being countries with the $$ and tech to participate), we catch a Russian cab to and fro it... The space shuttle program had international tech too; one of the arms was Canadian, boasting their flag, etc.

Any nation is supposed to help astro/cosmonauts when possible, without regard to nationality, and on and on. This is how it's been working, successfully, for decades.

Hence I fear someone telling him about the ISS because he'll think we own it and are owed something for building so much of it, launching so much of it, etc., and cause god knows what fucking trouble.

Last edited: