• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

How to go about making races for your MC

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleTree889

Registered
Reaction score
One of the biggest reasons I get stuck and unable to fully write and finish my stories is I can never decide what race or nationality to make the MC. I've heard these days more people want diversity which is great and all, but sometimes it's really difficult to do, especially for me :(

I usually can easily think of writing up a story and create the MC white, probably because it's easier to relate to considering I'm white myself, but when it comes to trying to create them as a black, Asian, Latino, Indian, MC, etc, it's very difficult for me. I've been told if you don't understand the background or heritage of that particular race, religion or nationally that it's best not to write about a character like that cause it risks misrepresenting that particular group and not understanding how that group lived or grew up on their environment.

Then I figure, ok it's probably best to create the MCs race based what I am so I don't risk misreprenting someone else's background. But then that's also a risk in showing less diversity or could come off as whitewashing, since a lot of people complain there's not enough of other races being portrayed. I would agree yet at the same time there aren't as much diverse actors as much as there are white actors. Like it seems harder to cast a story starring an Asian or even Asian American based on a story for that matter cause there aren't that many Asian actors compared to white actors in Hollywood so it's harder for me to write a story of an Asian character compared to a white character.

I hope no one is offended by this I just want to know some of your input on what you all do in situations like this :(

Last edited:

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
Hello! As a person of colour who pretty much only writes about other people of colour, here is my advice. You don't want to get representation wrong, because that can cause harm to the group who you are trying to represent. Write where you feel comfortable for your main POV character, since if you are not of the same race as your POV character, you will be more likely to get aspects of their identity wrong. BUT-- don't populate the rest of the story with only white people. Add side characters and secondary characters that represents the world we live in. Also, even if your 'diverse' characters are minor characters, do still think about getting sensitivity reads to ensure the representation is as accurate as you can make it, and you are not unconsciously adding bias or misconceptions.

Adn by the way, there are PLENTY of Asian actors. Hong Kong and India have huge film industries, and there are a lot of asian American actors who would kill for the sheer number of roles white actors have access to.

One last thing-- you mention several times in your post that others are complaining that they want diversity and want other races portrayed But honestly, unless it is something you yourself care about, don't add people of colour just because you think it will give you some leg up. It will come across as false, and people will see your biases in there. Besides, a lot of stuff is still being published with only white characters. :(

MapleTree889

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes unfortunately while I would love to write more MCs based on variety of different races, I do run the risk for not representing them properly if I never lived or from the environment they are from growing up. For example I had an idea of a story starring an American black male MC which would be more of a futuristic space story. Only problem with that is if I wanted it grounded to reality as well, it might be difficult to write and understand the lifestyle he grew up in that relates to the community of his own race. But on second thought, would it really matter considering its the future and in space? Couldn't I just write an MC who just happens to be black and would be no different than any other character who's not black? And it's difficult for me to write an Asian or Indian MC because I don't know how they grew up and not many Asian actors have the features of the MCs that I write about who are scuffed up with hairy messy beards and heavily scarred up. This is to indicate that these characters were living a nomadic life on the run in a future war society and look unkept. Not many Asian actors, compared to white, Arab and black actors, don't grow full out beards and have the raspy voice, sorry if I'm mistaken :( I could write non white or Asian characters as secondary or side characters but then I'll run into the problem with not giving them enough story time.

I could create a half Asian MC and give him a large beard and all but either it will get called out for misrepresentation or in the case he's half white half Asian and looks more white it will be called whitewashing. :(

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
One of the biggest reasons I get stuck and unable to fully write and finish my stories is I can never decide what race or nationality to make the MC. I've heard these days more people want diversity which is great and all, but sometimes it's really difficult to do, especially for me :(

I usually can easily think of writing up a story and create the MC white, probably because it's easier to relate to considering I'm white myself, but when it comes to trying to create them as a black, Asian, Latino, Indian, MC, etc, it's very difficult for me. I've been told if you don't understand the background or heritage of that particular race, religion or nationally that it's best not to write about a character like that cause it risks misrepresenting that particular group and not understanding how that group lived or grew up on their environment.

Then I figure, ok it's probably best to create the MCs race based what I am so I don't risk misreprenting someone else's background. But then that's also a risk in showing less diversity or could come off as whitewashing, since a lot of people complain there's not enough of other races being portrayed. I would agree yet at the same time there aren't as much diverse actors as much as there are white actors. Like it seems harder to cast a story starring an Asian or even Asian American based on a story for that matter cause there aren't that many Asian actors compared to white actors in Hollywood so it's harder for me to write a story of an Asian character compared to a white character.

I hope no one is offended by this I just want to know some of your input on what you all do in situations like this :(

#1 - You're not ready to write racially diverse characters if you don't know how to detect a racist meme ("there are no ---- actors"). There are plenty of performers from all backgrounds all over the world to fill parts in films, if only scripts would be written by people competent and commmited to writing, buying, producing, and directing the relevant stories.

#2 - You're not ready to write diversity if you are not sure what is or is not offensive. Pre-emptive, false apologies are popular in oppressive societies ("I'm sorry if anyone is offended, but then I go on talking more than I listen"); people who have done the work to acquire true awareness and sensitivity have made a serious personal commitment. Don't expect to be embraced by a cultural out-group just because you tagged a character as one of their own.

#3 - There is no substitute for or short-cut around research. And you research, and research, and research Until you understand. Any approach to diversity has to be Reality over Recognition.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I'd like to add on a question here:

If a writer does all that they can to get it right, including extensive researching and listening, I then strongly assume that a good agent and good publisher will provide sort of another level of insurance/catch any mistakes in this regard, to make sure the issue is not horribly mishandled.

Is that a safe assumption?

I assume the writer could even specify to agent that this is an element they want looked at before publication.

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
Um... no one just happens to have a race. I am brown-- I just don't happen to have brown skin. It is a part of my identity. And believe me, there are plenty of Asians with messy hair and straggly beards. Honestly it sounds to me that you have heard somewhere that you won't get published unless you have 'diverse' characters, which is blatantly false. You might get criticized for having a white only SF world, and I certainly would not read your work, but if you don't want to be criticized, then writing may not be for you.

I agree with SWest. Research, research research. Overcome your obvious biases and misconceptions before you step in.

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score

If a writer does all that they can to get it right, including extensive researching and listening, I then strongly assume that a good agent and good publisher will provide sort of another level of insurance/catch any mistakes in this regard, to make sure the issue is not horribly mishandled.

I assume the writer could even specify to agent that this is an element they want looked at before publication.

Unfortunately, no. There are A LOT of recently published books with questionable racial representation that the agent and editors let through. It is your responsibility to be sensitive, not others to catch your errors. Also, it's your name on the book, not someone else's.

My book has a a diverse group of characters with regards to race, age, sexual orientation, and at no point did my editor or agent tell me to get a sensitivity read, or question my representation. If i was concerned, I needed to do the work, not them.

MapleTree889

Registered
Reaction score
You guys make some good valid points. But let's say I write a story about a black MC set on the year 2890 or 3000 or something and he's a space marine fighting in space wars. Will it really matter to explain in his background how he has grown up living as a black male in society or what it was like for him living in a black community? I've been told if I write about a black MC I would have to do research into black communities and know how they lived. What if he grew up in a space craft or was raised as a bio chem soldier on a Mars or moon colony? Will it still matter? Couldn't I just write him as another human dealing with technological threats and et enemies? That's an actual story I had planned btw. And it's great if I could write about an Asian character with shaggy beards an all but if I gave him bigger muscles would that be taken wrong? Considering I've been told by others that Asian men don't have big muscles like that and they told me if I do that, I'm whitewashing the character's looks?? Really?? :( :(

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

There is totally a step before this roll-of-dice.

We live in a time of massive worldwide connectedness. This forum is super-diverse in every direction. No one should consider a manuscript ready for submission until it has been ruthlessly beta read several times. And this work ultimately has your name on it - why would you throw the responsibility up to someone else in the chain of production?

If you don't know enough people in the identity group you are writing who would be willing to risk doing you this favor, you have not completed your awareness/sensitivity phase of personal development.

How will you have a 100% stake in getting your stories and characters right to begin with? By knowing actual people and caring about how they are portrayed.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
Unfortunately, no. There are A LOT of recently published books with questionable racial representation that the agent and editors let through. It is your responsibility to be sensitive, not others to catch your errors. Also, it's your name on the book, not someone else's.

My book has a a diverse group of characters with regards to race, age, sexual orientation, and at no point did my editor or agent tell me to get a sensitivity read, or question my representation. If i was concerned, I needed to do the work, not them.

Thank you Jane. (And also SWest). You are helping me settle on a decision.

Last edited:

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
You guys make some good valid points. But let's say I write a story about a black MC set on the year 2890 or 3000 or something and he's a space marine fighting in space wars. Will it really matter to explain in his background how he has grown up living as a black male in society or what it was like for him living in a black community? I've been told if I write about a black MC I would have to do research into black communities and know how they lived. What if he grew up in a space craft or was raised as a bio chem soldier on a Mars or moon colony? Will it still matter? Couldn't I just write him as another human dealing with technological threats and et enemies? That's an actual story I had planned btw. And it's great if I could write about an Asian character with shaggy beards an all but if I gave him bigger muscles would that be taken wrong? Considering I've been told by others that Asian men don't have big muscles like that and they told me if I do that, I'm whitewashing the character's looks?? Really?? :( :(

Seriously, dude. Do some research. https://www.google.ca/search?q=Asian+man+big+muscles&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiXv6GY4d3bAhVGx1kKHV4oD2UQ_AUICigB&biw=1517&bih=716

Also, don't ask others for permission-- listen to your own misgivings and recognize that you have a lot to learn.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com

Slow your roll. Seriously.

Either you want to grow up and out of the ways you were raised wrong (inadvertently or intentionally, it does not matter), or you want to bang on and on about things you don't understand.

Stop the part of your brain that wants to defend itself, and read the responses you have here. Sit quietly, and read them. Until you understand.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Except for correct representation, I don't understand the problem of picking a race for an MC. Characters--my characters anyway--present themselves as what they are.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
If you don't know enough people in the identity group you are writing who would be willing to risk doing you this favor, you have not completed your awareness/sensitivity phase of personal development.

How will you have a 100% stake in getting your stories and characters right to begin with? By knowing actual people and caring about how they are portrayed.

Not true. If you said by RESEARCHING about actual people and caring about how they are portrayed, I would believe you. It is about the so much invoked "write what you know", and I reply, "no, know what you write." I don't want to write about people like myself. I want to research and learn how people in x country in y century lived and thought and write about them (yes, I write mostly historical fiction and not much of it from my country. You can see it from the covers of my novels). I can't know people from all the ethnicities which are an ocean farther from me, neither people who lived in different centuries, but I can research about them and therefore portray them realistically. And yes, I have written people of various races and nations, and none without research.

Last edited:

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Not true. If you said by RESEARCHING about actual people and caring about how they are portrayed, I would believe you. It is about the so much invoked "write what you know", and I reply, "no, know what you write." I don't want to write about people like myself. I want to research and learn how people in x country in y century lived and thought and write about them (yes, I write mostly historical fiction and not much of it from my country. You can see it from the covers of my novels). I can't know people from all the ethnicities which are an ocean farther from me, neither people who lived in different centuries, but I can research about them and therefore portray them realistically. And yes, I have written people of various races and nations, and none without research.
I like the way you think.

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score

But you must also recognize that you cannot possibly understand what it's like to come from a specific racial group if you are not from the same group, or if you don't at least know someone from that group. History books and secondary resources can be incredibly biased, and if that is your only frame of reference, your work will reflect those biases. I am not telling you not to write it, but at least acknowledge that you your portrayal cannot be completely accurate without knowing people of the race.

Imagine writing a paragraph from the perspective of a dog, going on a walk, sniffing trees, licking faces, etc. Now imagine writing that without ever having seen a dog in your life.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
It would seem to me you have a lot to learn. I hope you're reading the replies here.

Suffice it to say, tacking a race/colour/sexuality/gender or anything else on a character is not something to do just to do. You lost me on several points you attempt to make here. The most offensive (but not by much) is your comments on 'long beards'. I mean? It sounds to me like anything you attempt to do is going to be grossly caricature-istic and stereotypical. And possibly not even up to date stereotypes.

You will need to do research to get ANY character right. If you're going to tack on race, make sure you research that race...don't do it just to do it and don't do it to get noticed and don't do it for sales. Like, I'm just shuddering right now. Apologies if my response seems slightly angry, but your posts have brought out anger in me.

Kevin, who is married to a Chinese man from Guyana who does not grow facial hair but has lovely toned arms.

Last edited:

MapleTree889

Registered
Reaction score
It would seem to me you have a lot to learn. I hope you're reading the replies here.

Suffice it to say, tacking a race/colour/sexuality/gender or anything else on a character is not something to do just to do. You lost me on several points you attempt to make here. The most offensive (but not by much) is your comments on 'long beards'. I mean? It sounds to me like anything you attempt to do is going to be grossly caricature-istic and stereotypical. And possibly not even up to date stereotypes.

You will need to do research to get ANY character right. If you're going to tack on race, make sure you research that race...don't do it just to do it and don't do it to get noticed and don't do it for sales. Like, I'm just shuddering right now. Apologies if my response seems slightly angry, but your posts have brought out anger in me.

Kevin, who is married to a Chinese man from Guyana who does not grow facial hair but has lovely toned arms.

I'm sorry if you took it the wrong way. That was not my intention and I apologize if I came off that way but this is what I was told by others on the Internet. I have grown up with a diversity of friends from many backgrounds, (though most live far now, gone away to school or got married, those that had to move away in homes that allow pets, etc.) So I can't just knock on the door and ask them what there life experience's were based on their ethnicity and race. I knew a good Asian friend of mine, a few actually, who have told me they wish they could grow full beards but can't because they said they're Asian. I sa id to them "are you crazy??" Then I asked on the Internet is there anything wrong with creating an Asian character with a full beard and even chest hair and they told me that it's UNREALISTIC and over exaggerating and that Asians don't grow much body hair. I thought that sounded ridiculous and one of these opinions was from an ASIAN MAN himself.

Again, don't take this the wrong way from what I heard. Nothing to do with my personal experiences like I live in dome restricted world where there's not a single hint of diversity or anyone else around me but white. These are just opinions I was told by friends and those on the Internet.

So please don't take it personally as I'm only trying to do my best in research and get the best opinions possible and this is a good place to do it.

I also did some research recently on half Asian actors who are big, tall and hairy with beards like Keanu Reeves so of course they exist. Others were telling me that hairy tall Asian's rarely exist unless they are like 2% Asian, that's enough for them to anger me and I'm not even Asian. They probably are used to reading and seeing about cookie cuttrr cardboard cut image of Asian's who have to be small, short with almost zero facial body hair so I wanted to ask here that if I stray away from the stereotypical look will it offend others if I make him tall, muscular Asian man with a beard? And do I really have to interview how an Asian man or Asian American man lives their life? Letd say he's Korean. Can't I write him as a human like any other human race and just do some research on the Internet instead of forcing to meet someone who's from Korea and have to go there and ask a dozen questions?

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
I think you got some really good advice in this thread already. I would also as a writer ask myself *why* I was seeking to find a way I could make my character XYZ race that I wasn't sure I could authentically write (like placing it on another planet or far in the future) rather than writing something I thought I had a better shot at writing authentically.

And again, no one is saying you can't have POC in your manuscript... but several are pointing out that if this isn't an area you can write with great personal authority, you're probably going to have an easier time just drawing off lots of research and not personal experience if you only have to populate the personality and history of side characters, rather than the main POV character.

And plenty of published books DO get it wrong. There are very popular books being put out with pretty disgusting and careless messages about ppl with disabilities that I can't think might be different if the author were writing from an ownvoices perspective. They just don't realize and don't think because they haven't lived it. And that's what you don't want to do.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Hi! Thank you for your response. Yes unfortunately while I would love to write more MCs based on variety of different races, I do run the risk for not representing them properly if I never lived or from the environment they are from growing up. For example I had an idea of a story starring an American black male MC which would be more of a futuristic space story. Only problem with that is if I wanted it grounded to reality as well, it might be difficult to write and understand the lifestyle he grew up in that relates to the community of his own race. But on second thought, would it really matter considering its the future and in space? Couldn't I just write an MC who just happens to be black and would be no different than any other character who's not black? And it's difficult for me to write an Asian or Indian MC because I don't know how they grew up and not many Asian actors have the features of the MCs that I write about who are scuffed up with hairy messy beards and heavily scarred up. This is to indicate that these characters were living a nomadic life on the run in a future war society and look unkept. Not many Asian actors, compared to white, Arab and black actors, don't grow full out beards and have the raspy voice, sorry if I'm mistaken :( I could write non white or Asian characters as secondary or side characters but then I'll run into the problem with not giving them enough story time.

I could create a half Asian MC and give him a large beard and all but either it will get called out for misrepresentation or in the case he's half white half Asian and looks more white it will be called whitewashing. :(

Two words: Keanu Reeves.

You can certainly ask a publisher about a sensitivity reader. Depends on the house and other factors. You can also ask around a place like AW for betas with a background in whatever to help with concerns you might have.

Um... no one just happens to have a race. I am brown-- I just don't happen to have brown skin. It is a part of my identity. And believe me, there are plenty of Asians with messy hair and straggly beards. Honestly it sounds to me that you have heard somewhere that you won't get published unless you have 'diverse' characters, which is blatantly false. You might get criticized for having a white only SF world, and I certainly would not read your work, but if you don't want to be criticized, then writing may not be for you.

I agree with SWest. Research, research research. Overcome your obvious biases and misconceptions before you step in.

This is so individual though, which I think is part of the problem people are having with the OP's question. Your experiences, feelings, identity, are yours, and not necessarily universal.

I was part of a class discussion on identity once, and a girl of mixed ethnicity, with brown skin, said that she'd never considered her racial background to be a big part of her identity at all. She did just happen to have brown skin. It made no nevermind to her, she said, and she never thought a thing about it (growing up in a very diverse area), until she spent a summer as a teen in a very non-diverse area and was asked about her ethnicity/race by most of the people she met. She said before then, no one had ever asked her 'what are you?' and it made her self-conscious.

The society of a thousand years from now is something you'd be inventing.

Why would he have grown up in a black community?

If you're writing sf, you make it what you want.

Hence, Kirk kissed Uhura.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Two things here:

1) If you're writing far future, you probably shouldn't be tying yourself up in knots about things like how muscular the average Asian (a term which covers a lot of diverse ground) man is today. For one thing, there are plenty of outliers. For another: far future. Genetics can be what you want. If you choose to explain, though, be careful you're not playing into the stereotypes around you now.

2) Speaking of which, if you're writing far future, race can mean what it needs to mean for your story. That said, you don't want to go into this blind, even if you've decided your universe has eradicated racism. We all have unconscious biases, and odds are yours will come through. The more you can read, learn, ask, listen about the world as it exists today, the less you're likely to shoot yourself in the foot when you're writing. (Which is pretty much true even if you're not writing SFF.)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com

As others have pointed out: nope, this is not a safe assumption.

That's not to say it doesn't happen, but really, do your own homework. You're the one whose name is going to be on the book; that's what people will remember if you get it wrong.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Mixed raced characters aren't whitewashing. We're just... mixed race.

I'm afraid I always find this struggle baffling. There is no country on earth where I will be an ethnic majority. I don't have a culture or a home country, really. Therefore I write characters based on what I think is appropriate and use common sense, or ask around if unsure.

There's no "right" amount to explore racial influence imo. It can be the point, or not feature at all, and everything in between.

My frustration with your other brainstorming thread was specifically to do with someone else dragging up Last Samurai and passively suggesting it wasn't a white-washed film. Nothing personal, but I couldn't be arsed with beating that particular dead horse.

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
This is so individual though, which I think is part of the problem people are having with the OP's question. Your experiences, feelings, identity, are yours, and not necessarily universal.

I was part of a class discussion on identity once, and a girl of mixed ethnicity, with brown skin, said that she'd never considered her racial background to be a big part of her identity at all. She did just happen to have brown skin. It made no nevermind to her, she said, and she never thought a thing about it (growing up in a very diverse area), until she spent a summer as a teen in a very non-diverse area and was asked about her ethnicity/race by most of the people she met. She said before then, no one had ever asked her 'what are you?' and it made her self-conscious.

I used to feel that way-- that my skin colour was unimportant to my identity. But then I realized that my skin influenced other's perceptions of who I am, and how they treated me my whole life has impacted who I am. That experience that your classmate described is pretty accurate-- her skin colour was a part of her identity, she just didn't see how yet. Even in a diverse area, people treat me a certain way because of what they see when they see me-- and whether my skin is the same colour as theirs or not. And it is absolutely individual. My experiences and my identity is mine only, but among other people of colour I'm not really that unique. (i.e. lots of similarities in the way we try to fit in public, the way our parents raise us, familial expectations, etc.)

I posted that comment because I take offence to the (commonly stated) idea that you can write someone who 'just happens to be a person of colour' and get it right. Maybe you can, but you'd get a better character if you took into account every aspect of their identity when writing the character. Not to mention that that misconception frames white people as the standard, and everyone else as an other... which I also find offensive.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I posted that comment because I take offence to the (commonly stated) idea that you can write someone who 'just happens to be a person of colour' and get it right. Maybe you can, but you'd get a better character if you took into account every aspect of their identity when writing the character. Not to mention that that misconception frames white people as the standard, and everyone else as an other... which I also find offensive.

I think if you're writing a contemporary novel, or a story that's an allegory for the contemporary world, then yeah, you're right.

OP, though, is writing far-future SF, and I think that requires a different calculus. What that difference is will depend on the story, and if the novel includes any sort of racism, the author better know what the heck they're talking about, full stop.

Having said that...if I'm reading far-future (or, frankly, even near-future) SF and it's populated primarily by white people? There better be a good explanation for why (and "the author is white" isn't a good enough explanation). The world we live in is diverse now. If your world has racism, learn about it, write it in, deal with it properly; similarly, if you've got a single ethnic root for your people, I expect a plot-driven reason why.

But don't blithely hand me a plot full of white folks and expect me not to have my ability to suspend disbelief completely eradicated. I deal with that nonsense enough at the movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.