Where do I put this?

Sayin Quota

Registered
Reaction score
I am writing an extended-modern political drama that takes place in the same world as my fantasy stories, only a few years earlier. It interacts very little with the fantasy aspect, but I think it would be odd to have things from the same world in different places. Where do I put it?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand what you mean when you ask where to put it. For critique? To categorize it for an agent or a readership? To discuss problematic aspects of plotting here?

I would think that if it has any fantasy element to it, existing in a fantasy work, it would be a fantasy hybrid properly located in fantasy for most purposes. You have fantasy-romance or fantasy-mystery, for instance, so why not fantasy political drama?

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Hi Sayin Quota,

You might find it helpful to read the Newbie Guide, if you haven't already, and then the stickies in Show Your Work, which is where you would post excerpts of your work (generally 1.5-2k) for critique, if that's what you're looking for. To post in SYW you need 50 posts, which is to give you time to engage with and get to know the community and vice versa -- critiquing others' work is a great way to do this.

If it's a finished work and you're just looking for genre advice, maybe give us a short paragraph or two describing how the fantasy element plays in?

Sayin Quota

Registered
Reaction score
I was more thinking that once I have reached 50 post where to put it in SYW.
It has very limited interaction with the fantasy element as stated previously. The interaction is more about the BBEG's group testing their influence over the government (elections, primarily) at one point there is a man with uncanny reflexes, but other than that there is nothing supernatural. My world is based upon that up until 2028 all is as it has and will be.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I would say post it in SFF SYW, because even if the speculative content is slight you still want eyeballs on it w/ a genre sensibility? If you do, you might want to put in a paragraph or so at the beginning stating what you said above, that the fantasy element is very limited but it's part of a larger world that's fantasy-specific, just so people know what they're looking at.