• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

The filter

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
So what the actual hell?

As I take a break from endless, endless revisions of my first and only WIP, I've been dabbling in other people's fiction and some poetry (I'm paranoid about reading other work while I'm writing/revising my own) and I'm just amazed at what I'm reading. Amazed at how people can actually express themselves in their writing. I *still* don't know how to do that. I am working so hard (too hard) at rearranging sentences, substituting one word for another, questioning show vs. tell, and on and on and on.

Why can't I just write?

I figured out a while ago that the greatest effort that goes into writing is to make the writing appear effortless.

But it's more than just that.

Until I wrote this book, the entirety of my writing experience had been confined to elementary school and high school. And quite frankly, my teachers, as I now realize, were not particularly good. All of them were the type that insisted that quality writing followed all the rules, and must be formal and stuffy and boring. Creative expression was not welcome - what mattered was proper grammar, repetitive, droning syntax, and a regurgitation of the messages and themes the teachers themselves drilled into our heads. Any coloring outside the lines would be met with disapproval.

Many (many) years later, I still have not cleansed myself of that. Lots of ideas come to my imagination, but when I sit down to write, I sit up straight, clear my throat, and filter all those ideas into the kind of stilted, proper prose that would have impressed my 8th grade English teacher.

So my work has no voice. And the thing is - I actually do have a voice. Every once in a while I come across a passage in my book that escaped the filter, and those are my favorite parts. But no matter how aware I am of this problem, I still cannot. get. past. that. filter.

Oh the frustration...

And a curse on you all, you cold, rotten, boring, pearl-clutching English Lit teachers from decades past.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
I think your frustration is misguided....

English Composition class is meant for more formal, not creative writing. Some examples are business and admnistrative writing (to help you craft such things as grant proposals, formal, written communication, and so forth). You'd need a class in grant writing to do it, but the grammar rules learned in composition classes are highly pertinent.

Creative Writing taught what you wanted to learn.

English Literature teaches the great authors of different countries/regions of the world.

Those English teachers did their jobs, and forced you to stay within the boundaries of what the class intended to cover. For me, I am stronger with composition than I am creative writing. Part of the reason I got into novel writing was to improve myself.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
So my work has no voice.

So write like you talk. That might not be the actual "voice" you settle on for a given piece of narrative, but, as a starter, it might get you away from the subliminal obsession with academic formality.

And read. A lot. Widely, in different genres. That will help you, by a kind of osmosis, to get a feel in your writer's bone marrow how other writers' voices work.

caw

jhbertel

Registered
Reaction score
If I may be so free: your post certainly has a voice. Can't you write your book with the same attitude? Best of luck!

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I think not reading while you write is a huuuuge mistake. I say that as someone that has done similar at times in the past. All my best lessons have been given in the pages of well written books. Read widely and it's just not possible to end up imitating a voice (if it was ever possible at all) if that is what worries you.

Most of us aren't going to be prodigies, we'll need to work at it for a while, it takes hard graft. When I read my earliest attempts at writing they don't even make sense to me. It's unrecognisable to what I write now. I'm so happy I wasn't put off, that I kept going, and I like to think I will continue to learn and grow. Writing can always be improved, another draft can always be done, another ten if that's what it's going to take.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Write something first person, and personal. I sympathise with having to shake the academic influence, particularly in the overuse of (unnecessary) quantifiers <--see wut I did thar ;-)

For flow, nothing beats poetry. It has a beautiful rhythm that propels you from line to line. I can't stress enough the importance of reading poetry for writing; in addition to rhythm it teaches you cadence, conciseness, imagery and description, and so much more. If you don't like poetry, music with lyrics does pretty well as a substitute.

I would also second that you should absolutely be reading while you write. On average, I read one novel per written chapter of my MS. Some need more, some less, but everyone needs to read something.

Last edited:

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
@Enlightened You may have a point. But at the same time, in school I actually was a creative young lad, and was told my writing and art was "nice" but not something meant for the real world. Oh to have ever come across a teacher who actually encouraged self-expression.

@blacbird Yes, I need to just write stream of consciousness maybe, or even just talk into my phone and record my ramblings. Anything to spill out raw thoughts without "translating" them first.

@blacbird and @pingle Yes, I will read more; I know my fear is misplaced that I will pick up other's voices in place of my own.

If I may be so free: your post certainly has a voice. Can't you write your book with the same attitude? Best of luck!

Ha! Yes, that is my voice (for better or worse lol). I don't write prose the same way I wrote that post. That's what needs to change.

@Harlequin Yes, it was really the poetry I read that caught my eye and drove me to this rant. :) And yeah, it's all the qualifiers and filtering in my writing that makes it weak, as if I'm afraid to just say what I want to say (which seems strange when we're talking about fiction).

The journey continues...

Thank you all!

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Just write it. Write it as you, if that's comfortable.

You can revise prose later; work on the story and characters first.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Just write it. Write it as you, if that's comfortable.

You can revise prose later; work on the story and characters first.

Yep, but too late for this WIP :flag: I mean, it's hard to edit in your voice. I think it needs to be there from the start, doesn't it? (Then the trick is not to edit it out?)

There's a recent thread here about struggling to write dialogue. I remember reading it and finding it interesting that dialogue is the one part of writing that I'm not struggling with. Now I think I know why. I don't filter dialogue. I just write it exactly how I hear the character saying it, almost stream of consciousness. Dialogue doesn't have to follow the rules - hey, it's not me talking, it's the character! They can say whatever they want (i.e. I can say whatever I want, through them).

Granted the narration (talking third person here) probably shouldn't be written in quite the same tone as the dialogue. Or should it? How close should third-person narration be to the style in which the POV character would write it?

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
Not at all. Everything can be edited, absolutely everything.

I probably changed 98% of MS1, it's literally be rewritten from scratch a fewtimes over. And a good part of that was the narrative changing as I found my voice and my feet with it.

Maybe try some shorts? Great way to knock a few out and you get a buzz from finishing them (or I do anyway) similar to finishing a MS, without SUCH a long slog :)

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
Not at all. Everything can be edited, absolutely everything.

I probably changed 98% of MS1, it's literally be rewritten from scratch a fewtimes over. And a good part of that was the narrative changing as I found my voice and my feet with it.

Maybe try some shorts? Great way to knock a few out and you get a buzz from finishing them (or I do anyway) similar to finishing a MS, without SUCH a long slog :)

You're always helpful :) Thank you.

Shorts might be interesting. Paranoia again - I'm so afraid to step away from this WIP (afraid to lose time? Momentum? Not exactly sure). But a breather and a different writing experience would probably really help re-focus.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I agree that reading widely will help you tremendously. Go forth and read fiction - lots of it, across lots of styles and genres. As you read, think about how the narration is built, what word choices the author made, and why. Notice how the narrative voice of a book in which the POV character is a hard-boiled detective might differ from the narrative voice in which the POV character is a twelve-year-old girl or a shell-shocked soldier or a professor. Notice how the POV character’s interiority is exposed on the page - not as she would write it, but as she thinks it.

Don’t worry about picking up other writers’ voices. They won’t stick, except inasmuch as you learn from recognizing them and understanding how they work. They won’t permanently obscure your own voice; they will enhance your ability to recognize and control and use your own voice. I love it when I’m reading, say, D.H. Lawrence, and then produce a very Lawrencian paragraph. I think it’s wonderful because it means I’m absorbing things. It means I understand what’s going on well enough to look at a paragraph and say “hah, that sounds like Lawrence!” And understanding what makes it Lawerencian means I know what to change to make it something else. It’s not just random tweaking, you know?

And for heaven’s sake, don’t beat yourself up for not being a master of your craft on your first attempt.

Yours, another first-timer with a lot to learn.

Elle.

Registered
Reaction score
Whenever I panic writing my first drafts which are literally just putting all the words on the page and I can see it's bad, I just remember the words for good old Hemingway "the first draft of anything is shit."

Just write and then worry about the editing and making it great later. And others already mentioned: read, read, read.

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
@Elle - thanks! At least I have one thing in common with Hemingway, so that's a plus! :tongue

@Lakey - thank you first-timer :) And yeah I'm beating myself up right now, but sometimes it helps once I'm done doing it. I think the frustration really comes from the fact that I know exactly what I want this book to be. I can already read it in my head. I can feel it. I can taste it. But I just can't get it on the page. You know what I mean... If I know what I want to write, why can't I just... write it???? It's an amazing thing, that 18 months ago I couldn't have even fathomed.

Scythian

Registered
Reaction score
Writers can't always be trusted to evaluate their styles objectively. Lovecraft complained in letters to his friends how his style is a mix of this influence and that influence, but when am I going to sound like myself, etc.

Whereas to us his is one of the most distinctive styles ever. He just didn't see it.

Likewise, some writers claim their styles are 'transparent' and celebrate the whole 'transparent writing' thing, but have a very specific style, of which they are apparently unaware.

Other writers still go around explaining how they didn't bend to fashion, and instead of succumbing to pressure from agents and editors and writing endless serials with the same central protagonists, they write standalones, each of which is super different from each other. But in reality they are all so similar that they could very well have been parts of a serial:D

And lastly, the writers who misconstrue what it is in their writing that makes them popular, and force themselves to write more and more like X, without realizing that people like reading them because of Y, and when after years of self torture these writers finally succeed in breaking their natures and writing totally in X mode, supressing Y mode, their readers leave them. (Happens with musicians and film directors too, of course)

So sometimes creative folk can't really be trusted to see what they produce objectively.

Ours is not to reason why, ours but to write and fly:)

Quinn_Inuit

Not a real eskimo
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.steve-quinn.net
@Elle - thanks! At least I have one thing in common with Hemingway, so that's a plus! :tongue

@Lakey - thank you first-timer :) And yeah I'm beating myself up right now, but sometimes it helps once I'm done doing it. I think the frustration really comes from the fact that I know exactly what I want this book to be. I can already read it in my head. I can feel it. I can taste it. But I just can't get it on the page. You know what I mean... If I know what I want to write, why can't I just... write it???? It's an amazing thing, that 18 months ago I couldn't have even fathomed.

I've always approached this problem by grinding at it. Sometimes I'll go a week or two without writing, doing other things that need to get done while I roll a sentence around in my head. Other times, like tonight, I might get only a couple hundred words done in an hour or two, because it's a critical conversation and so emotionally draining that I can't push out any more. And maybe in a year I'll look back at what I'm writing now and realize it's weak, delete it, and repeat the process until I've got something better.

All I can suggest is that you keep writing. Things that I thought were smooth and clever ten years ago I now see were shaky and prolix, and after some editing I can bring out the thing I wanted to say in the first place.

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
English teachers are there to teach kids how to write correct, legible, English. If someone can't even write a basic letter of complaint, they don't have the skills to cope with life. Teachers have to be strict about grammar, etc, because if you can't get that stuff right, you're not going to be able to communicate effectively in writing in any circumstances. I agree that the better English teachers can do this while also encouraging creativity and expression. But creativity and expression in written English can't happen if you're not literate to begin with.

I started creative writing at home when I was twelve. At the very beginning, I followed all of what my teachers said, but then, upon reading what I'd written (full of "interesting" adverbs and said bookisms) I realised it sounded dreadful and that "said" sounded a whole lot better. And that you didn't need to put the "said"s in at all. I concluded that the way to write well was to not follow what English teachers said.

I'd written three novel length things by the time I was thirteen. None of them had paragraphs (one of them filled seven exercise books - all as one, very very very long paragraph). I didn't do paragraphs probably until I was about fifteen or sixteen. I think I was in my 20s before I started doing chapters. I typed up a second draft of one of the things I wrote when I was thirteen. The second draft had proper paragraphs. I finished that draft when I was about seventeen. I've still got the second draft and I'm kind of a bit proud of it. Not because it's good - it's not. Not even close. I'm proud of it because if anyone was insane enough to attempt to make it into a film, it'd have an 18 certificate and I wrote the first draft when I was thirteen. I blame Shakespeare. I was trying to out-do him in terms of violent deaths and suicides. Only mine also had drugs and organised crime.

Thing is, I had the freedom to write whatever the hell I wanted, however the hell I wanted to write it, with no-one to tell me I was doing it wrong, no pressure to "get published" or even have anyone else on the entire planet like it. I wrote it all for me, for fun, because I had these characters in my head who had stories I wanted to tell (I basically never grew out of having imaginary friends).

From reading this forum, I think a lot of beginner writers put way, way, way too much pressure on themselves to get everything right first time, with no leeway to just practice - play, even - and develop their skills. I think there's a lot to be said for taking the pressure of yourself and just writing whatever you want just for the fun of it, without any thought of letting other people read it. Play with the words. Write what's inside you and wants to get out. You might find that what you come up with is something that with extensive pummelling and hacking could be made into something publishable, or you might come out with ideas that could springboard you into writing something publishable. But it doesn't matter one tiny little bit if it doesn't, because it's about writing without any pressure at all and just enjoying it. And you'll carry that experience into whatever you write later on.

I agree with the advice about reading. You can't learn to write without reading. I also recommend critiquing other writers and, when you're ready (no hurry) getting your own writing critiqued (after you've perfected and polished it... and be prepared for people to find loads of things wrong with it, but you learn so much and then go back and apply it to your writing and realise how much it's improved.) But before you put pressure on yourself to get your stuff critiqued, just play. No pressure.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
So what the actual hell?

As I take a break from endless, endless revisions of my first and only WIP, I've been dabbling in other people's fiction and some poetry (I'm paranoid about reading other work while I'm writing/revising my own) and I'm just amazed at what I'm reading. Amazed at how people can actually express themselves in their writing. I *still* don't know how to do that. I am working so hard (too hard) at rearranging sentences, substituting one word for another, questioning show vs. tell, and on and on and on.

Why can't I just write?

I figured out a while ago that the greatest effort that goes into writing is to make the writing appear effortless.

But it's more than just that.

Until I wrote this book, the entirety of my writing experience had been confined to elementary school and high school. And quite frankly, my teachers, as I now realize, were not particularly good. All of them were the type that insisted that quality writing followed all the rules, and must be formal and stuffy and boring. Creative expression was not welcome - what mattered was proper grammar, repetitive, droning syntax, and a regurgitation of the messages and themes the teachers themselves drilled into our heads. Any coloring outside the lines would be met with disapproval.

Many (many) years later, I still have not cleansed myself of that. Lots of ideas come to my imagination, but when I sit down to write, I sit up straight, clear my throat, and filter all those ideas into the kind of stilted, proper prose that would have impressed my 8th grade English teacher.

So my work has no voice. And the thing is - I actually do have a voice. Every once in a while I come across a passage in my book that escaped the filter, and those are my favorite parts. But no matter how aware I am of this problem, I still cannot. get. past. that. filter.

Oh the frustration...

And a curse on you all, you cold, rotten, boring, pearl-clutching English Lit teachers from decades past.

I just wanted to say that based on the above, you certainly can write and very well, too. It flows well, it's expressive and articulate, it's a pleasure to read, and it does show a natural voice. Now just apply that to your fiction. I think maybe you're suffering from a form of performance anxiety when you sit down to write fiction. I had (occasionally still do have) that issue myself, and once I realized what was going on, it became easier and easier to shed it and just write.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I just wanted to say that based on the above, you certainly can write and very well, too. It flows well, it's expressive and articulate, it's a pleasure to read, and it does show a natural voice. Now just apply that to your fiction. I think maybe you're suffering from a form of performance anxiety when you sit down to write fiction.

This is a nice insight; I thank you for sharing it. I think it has a lot to do with my own struggles with productivity when I work on fiction.

I do know what you mean. I feel the same way; I know what I want my novel to do, and it's frustrating when I am unable to do it. I have been near giving up a few times. But I have had small victories, too. I've cherry-picked some of what I think are the best scenes in the novel and posted them in the Historical Fiction area of Share Your Work. I've gotten feedback that suggests the scenes are successful at doing what I want them to do (as well as constructive suggestions for improvement). And I have to remember then that if I can make those scenes do what I want, I can make the whole novel do what I want, too. It's just going to take a little longer (I'm coming up on two years working on this novel and I've got a lot of work ahead of me).

The other small victory was getting a short story published earlier this year that does do almost exactly what I wanted it to (I over-edited a little, and wish I could go back to the second-to-last draft, but otherwise I'm very pleased with it). It was only a brief break from the novel to work on it and it was extremely satisfying and a tremendous confidence boost to write a story and be proud of it.

Do you have a scene that you think really works - that really is what you want the book to be? Take a look at that scene and see if you can figure out what makes it different and better from the other ones that are still frustrating you. And you only have a few posts to go before you qualify for sharing your own work in SYW. I recommend going into that forum now and critiquing other people's work, if you haven't done so already.

bearilou

DenturePunk writer
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
yawping barbarically over the roofs of the world
I write like I talk, much to my editor's dismay.

Chiming in with agreement with pretty much everything that's been said so far.

The writing is in the rewriting. Find a way to turn off that setting in your brain that says "OMG WRITING NOW. MUST BE IN PROSE VOICE TO TELL PERFECT STORY PERFECTLY!"

Not everyone is blessed with a close to finished first draft (as much as I'd wish it to be true for me *sob*).

Also Scythian is correct. You are not a good judge of what is good with your manuscript, especially when it is so fresh. Stop with the endless revisions. You'll edit your voice out of it until you end a wet, soppy cardboard mess. Start work on another project and let this one marinate for a bit before you tackle more revisions. I fear you may be too close to it and end up doing more damage than good.

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
I had the same thing going on, so what I did was fire up the voice recorder on my phone and just tell a story to an imaginary person. Then I played it back to myself to see how my "voice" sounded (not actually sounded , but how I phrased things and the like. You know what I mean.) Then I sat down and wrote it. Then I compared the two. It took a while to stop making it sound stilted and formal, and I still catch myself doing it now and then.
This writing gig is a skill, and like any skill, practice is key. So try writing some shorts. Hey, try some FanFic. Experiment. Set that magnum opus aside and get comfortable in your writer's skin. Relax. Have fun with this.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm echoing what others have said: read more and write more-- your voice will naturally develop.

Just my meager two cents!

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
@Scythian, that was great. Thank you.

@BethS Thank you :) You're right. Just gotta flow...

@Lakey, thank you for the advice, and congrats on getting published :) At the very least I will take a look in the SYW. I really feel unqualified to critique anything, but I've never actually been in there, so I will check it out.

I write like I talk, much to my editor's dismay.

Chiming in with agreement with pretty much everything that's been said so far.

The writing is in the rewriting. Find a way to turn off that setting in your brain that says "OMG WRITING NOW. MUST BE IN PROSE VOICE TO TELL PERFECT STORY PERFECTLY!"

Not everyone is blessed with a close to finished first draft (as much as I'd wish it to be true for me *sob*).

Also Scythian is correct. You are not a good judge of what is good with your manuscript, especially when it is so fresh. Stop with the endless revisions. You'll edit your voice out of it until you end a wet, soppy cardboard mess. Start work on another project and let this one marinate for a bit before you tackle more revisions. I fear you may be too close to it and end up doing more damage than good.

The bold is it. And it's insidious. You just get so wrapped up in what you're doing and how writing is "supposed to be" and you forget about conveying your thoughts in the same natural way you imagined them.

@R.A. Lundberg Yeah I might try talking into the voice recorder. It seems like talking and writing are different functions. I can talk so easily, unedited, just letting the words flow out and actually being excited about it. Writing it down is different somehow. The process you describe sounds interesting. And you have a great point about fun. Can't lose sight of that.

Thanks to everyone who responded. It's amazing how helpful everyone here is.

Lakey

professional dilettante
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
I really feel unqualified to critique anything, but I've never actually been in there, so I will check it out.

You're qualified because you're a reader. You don't have to provide a writing-instructor's analysis of every subtle crack in someone's writing and directives on how to fix it. You only have to say whether a passage worked for you; what you liked or didn't like about it; if something confused you or was unclear; and so on. Do take a look. Even reading the critiques provided by other people is very informative. You might see a critique pointing out common problems in someone else's work that you realize exist in your writing too; then you can clear them out of your own piece before you ever post it for critique. (I may or may not have totally done this myself.) So come on in! Check out the SYW area (password is "vista") for the genre you're writing, or just check out the Historical Fiction area because everyone in there is awesome. ;)

Toto Too

Registered
Reaction score
@Lakey - I'm not even sure I'm qualified as a reader :) But yes, I will check it out. Thank you for the super secret password (which I now see is also shown in the forum description... :tongue)

This has been a great discussion, and hopefully it helps other new authors and not just selfish little me :)

So I'm taking everyone's advice, and reading! (One Way, by S.J. Morden; it's good so far). It really has been a while since I've picked up a book, and yeah, reading and writing truly is symbiotic. After practicing writing for months, I can already tell how much more I can zero in on the craft behind what I'm reading, and see how the author's work differs from mine.

And already I have a theory on this "filter" in my writing that I'm complaining about. I think I'm inserting myself too overbearingly as the dispassionate third-person narrator. I'm filtering my character's natural thoughts into a formal telling mode.

Any thoughts on an edit such as this?

BEFORE: Sarah followed the tigers, since presumably they knew the way to a safe exit.

AFTER: Chasing after the tigers seemed like as good an idea as any other she could think of. Certainly they would know the safest way to the exit.

The first sentence is awkward but nevertheless... the Before feels like I'm getting in the way between the character and the reader. The After is almost like first-person.

Better? Not better? Right track/wrong track?

(For now, I am suspending the curse on my old teachers, and taking full responsibility for my flaws. For now...)