New member, whose name is Tom

miner_tom

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to the forum,

First, let me say that I am somewhat intimidated by being in the presence, so to speak, of writers. I am an engineer, by profession, and can be considered guilty of having participated in the murder of the English language. Hopefully, that won't be held against me.

Secondly, I joined this forum in order to get help with starting my novel. Which, might be the reason that the majority of members have joined. Why do I wish to write a novel. The most truthful answer is, I don't want to. I HAVE to. You see, I have been thinking about this novel for a couple of years. I have outlined a good deal of it and continually thought about it and have made the characters appear real, to me, that is. The topics are unique to my background. Even if nobody else would ever read this novel, I would (I know that I can get my kids to read it...if I try hard).

So it is indeed time to stop wasting time, and start the actual writing.

What are my problems, other than the fact that I have never written dialog? Here it is. This is why I have joined the forum: I am writing a historical novel and I want to realistically take the reader to the time period that I am writing in. That time period is 1820's London. Well, how difficult can that be, you might ask. I am having trouble doing the research and I will make my second post a question on how to do historical "physical" research on places and cities. As in, what were the buildings like and how did the people live.

Thank You
Tom

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW Tom, best of luck. Lots of helpful people here.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Kwitshadie

Registered
Reaction score
Hi to the forum,

First, let me say that I am somewhat intimidated by being in the presence, so to speak, of writers. I am an engineer, by profession, and can be considered guilty of having participated in the murder of the English language. Hopefully, that won't be held against me.

Secondly, I joined this forum in order to get help with starting my novel. Which, might be the reason that the majority of members have joined. Why do I wish to write a novel. The most truthful answer is, I don't want to. I HAVE to. You see, I have been thinking about this novel for a couple of years. I have outlined a good deal of it and continually thought about it and have made the characters appear real, to me, that is. The topics are unique to my background. Even if nobody else would ever read this novel, I would (I know that I can get my kids to read it...if I try hard).

So it is indeed time to stop wasting time, and start the actual writing.

What are my problems, other than the fact that I have never written dialog? Here it is. This is why I have joined the forum: I am writing a historical novel and I want to realistically take the reader to the time period that I am writing in. That time period is 1820's London. Well, how difficult can that be, you might ask. I am having trouble doing the research and I will make my second post a question on how to do historical "physical" research on places and cities. As in, what were the buildings like and how did the people live.

Thank You
Tom

Hello there, welcome to AW Tom. Nervousness is quite common for a beginner; song writers and authors equally. We are more than happy to help you with your story :)

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Best of luck on the historical research, Tom. My forthcoming novella required some of the same, but since it was shorter than a novel, it didn’t take nearly as long as a complete novel would.

Welcome to AW!

ryoungwrites

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Tom!

I am also an engineer, but my brain is wired funky and can do math and English. I actually taught both math and English in high school before making a career change. It's a weird mix!

Research can be the most stressful and the most fun part about your writing sometimes. If it's in a place you've never been, research can be reading, interviewing, or visiting! Although I doubt you can visit 1820s London. (And if you can, you are the BEST engineer and my new best friend :Sun: ) So, you get to go back to your high school history class days and read, read, read. There are a few details you want to get right, but the great part about writing is, you get to run with so much of your own stuff! You develop a narrative around details of the setting, but for the most part, it's still all you. Good luck!

miner_tom

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Tom!

I am also an engineer, but my brain is wired funky and can do math and English. I actually taught both math and English in high school before making a career change. It's a weird mix!

Research can be the most stressful and the most fun part about your writing sometimes. If it's in a place you've never been, research can be reading, interviewing, or visiting! Although I doubt you can visit 1820s London. (And if you can, you are the BEST engineer and my new best friend :Sun: ) So, you get to go back to your high school history class days and read, read, read. There are a few details you want to get right, but the great part about writing is, you get to run with so much of your own stuff! You develop a narrative around details of the setting, but for the most part, it's still all you. Good luck!

Thank you for the reply. I am just curious: What type of an engineer are you? I am an Electronics Engineer...love the study...no longer like making a living at it.

Tom