Nice to meet you guys :)

Kwitshadie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello there guys, my name is Simon.
My parents have been thinking of having me to become a historian. When I was a kid, I saw history books as the only way I could follow along. Reading about history was like a playground of imagination. When I got into college history lectures on CD, the childhood magic that I experienced was gone. As a historian, I am thinking of writing historical fiction children’s books to recreate that magic.
I haven’t found an illustrator yet and I think my friends are saying that “my stories are good” just to save my feelings; I might just be nervous since it’s my first time though. I’m hoping that by joining absolutewrite.com, I can get some constructive criticisms going.
I have a story that I have a rough draft on that takes place in the Early Archaic Period Columbia River; Washington/Oregon Border. I’ve a prewrite going for 2 stories taking place in Mesolithic Alpine Mountains and Doggerland.

Hope to meet with you guys. :)

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Simon! I'm Zev. It's nice to meet you. Both your stories seem really interesting already. (The Washington-Oregon border? Tell me more! Ooh, does it take place in the late 1880s? I'm curious now.)
The site's awesome. I hope you get a lot out of it!

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When I got into college history lectures on CD, the childhood magic that I experienced was gone.

:welcome:, Kwitshadie. My history experience from school to college and then on to grad school history studies was the opposite of yours. I found general histories only got better when they were more specific and detailed by diaries and other first-hand accounts.

I particularly liked the Voyage of Discovery journals by members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition on the Columbia.

As another Pacific northwesterner, I hope to someday read the Simon-says version of life and times on the Columbia River. :greenie

Last edited:

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Simon! Did you read the Magic Tree House books when you were younger? Your project reminds me of those.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Nice to meet you Simon, welcome to AW

Kwitshadie

Registered
Reaction score
Whoa, sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the warm welcome :) I’ll be sure not to make a mad dash.

Hi Simon! I'm Zev. It's nice to meet you. Both your stories seem really interesting already. (The Washington-Oregon border? Tell me more! Ooh, does it take place in the late 1880s? I'm curious now.)
The site's awesome. I hope you get a lot out of it!
Hello there Zev, nice to meet you. Before Europeans arrived to the Northwest, the Chinooks were thriving on Salmon and shared their catch and goods with Tribes from Alaska to Mexico. Despite my Ancestors overriding their land, my Step Dad and the Shoulwater Bay Reservation raises me as their own and taught me how to talk; despite my disability, the prognosis back then was I would never be able to say my first word. As a grown up I’d like to thank my Adopted family by writing an adventure story.
I don’t have enough posts to get my story critiqued but the story takes place shorty after the Wholly Mammoths are retreating back to Siberia and the Chinooks start to fish for salmon; this era is a transition between the Paleo-Indian period and the Archaic period :). I can PM you if you’d like to read what I got so far if you would like.

:welcome:, Kwitshadie. My history experience from school to college and then on to grad school history studies was the opposite of yours. I found general histories only got better when they were more specific and detailed by diaries and other first-hand accounts.

I particularly liked the Voyage of Discovery journals by members of the Lewis and Clark Expedition on the Columbia.

As another Pacific northwesterner, I hope to someday read the Simon-says version of life and times on the Columbia River. :greenie
Hi Simon! Did you read the Magic Tree House books when you were younger? Your project reminds me of those.

Thanks ^_^ I suppose I can check out the post-Mideval lectures, currently I’ve been listening to archeology lectures. Thanks for the tip :). remember reading the Magic Tree House back in Elementary school.

Nice to meet you Simon, welcome to AW

Last edited: