A newcomer from France

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

I always wondered what it would be like to be in touch with other writers. Here, in France, writer communities are not common. And for people like me, who write in English, let's say that I'm rather lonely.
So, that's why I am happy to join this community of writers, with enthusiam and expectations.

I have trouble defining what I write. My current work is somewhere between "soft sci-fi" and speculative fiction. Lots of fiction, little science. I'm interested in identity, gender, how societies function. I wrote this (very long) book in English. But two earlier parts were published (traditionally) in French, as well as a comedy-like novel (here again identity was a central theme).

I've been writing for years, and this current work has been written and rewritten so many times... I gave up finding an agent/publisher, and I'm aiming at putting it online in the fall.

I work in publishing - in the foreign rights department of a French publishing company: for those who don't know, it means that I sell to foreign publishers the right to translate our books into their language. It's a very interesting job, that allows me to be in touch with people from all over the world. It's just that it takes up basically all of my reading capacity (you can't properly speak of a novel without having read it first!). It's a full time job, and I only read for pleasure when I am on holidays.

So, alas, I would not be a good beta reader. But if I can help answer questions about "traditional" publishing (selling rights, in particular) feel free to ask.

All the best to all,

Jennie

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome, Jennie. You are in good company. Don't worry about rewrites. I am on my third novel and it's too embarrassing to say how long ago I started writing my first. Your story is finished when it is finished to your liking, no matter how long it takes. Good luck, and welcome to the board.

Elenitsa

writing as Marina Costa
Registered
Reaction score
Website
caribbeandawn1720.jcink.net
Bienvenue ma cherie! Salutations de Roumanie!

I won't torture you anymore with a keyboard lacking accents (I know where to put half of them, the other half should go arrange themselves properly). I am Romanian and I write in Romanian my YA/ historical novels, and in English only short stories and interactive stories (RPGs). I have enough French characters in the RPGs ;)

Here writing communities aren't common either, except NaNoWriMo group and the "literary evenings" organised by publishing houses.

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennie,

Welcome from another new forum member. I've lived in France for a fair bit of time myself, in both Paris and Perpignan. Back in the States now, but hope to go back soon. I'm also a speculative fiction writer. Your current work sounds interesting!

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Salut! La coté de mon pere vient de Québec. Je suis plus anglophone que français, mais j'aime practiquer quand je peux!

:welcome:

What part of France do you reside in? :)

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I always wondered what it would be like to be in touch with other writers...
It's scary, wonderful, exciting, stimulating, inspiring and encouraging all rolled up together.

Plus, there's lots of coffee and PIE! :welcome:

LucasHuntington

Registered
Reaction score
I’ve been working on short stories the last couple months, but later in the summer I plan on resuming a sci-fi novel I began earlier in the year and then interrupted based on feedback regarding the narrator’s voice. 80% or so of my projects, including the novel, involve animals and their unique ways of experiencing the world.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
Bonjour,
J'habite Paris... I went to Québec eight years ago, and loved it. And last fall, I returned to Canada, this time to Toronto, for work. It's always nice to travel for work.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
It's scary, wonderful, exciting, stimulating, inspiring and encouraging all rolled up together.

Plus, there's lots of coffee and PIE! :welcome:

Coffee Ice cream, mmmm... Right now, scones are cooking in the oven, and I'll have them with a cup of tea, before getting back to the novel. Looking forward to conversations!

Atlantic12

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Jennie, welcome to AW! It's great to be in contact with other writers, and it sounds like you need no help at all when it comes to the publishing business! I hope you jump into those discussions too and share your experiences with us sometime.

Do you typically go to Frankfurt? I've only been at the book fair once, and it was absolutely amazing. Will be back next year when Canada will be the guest country, I think.

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I go to Frankfurt every year (this year will be my... 35th Frankfurt Book Fair), and I go to London too (in April). You're right, it's amazing, and tiring, but very interesting as well. We've begun organizing our schedules last week already. The Frankfurt Book Fair is an old book fair (I think it will be the 70th this year). And, yes, it's Canada the guest of honor next year, or maybe 2020. Generally authors from the invited country are invited as well. Frankfurt remains the must, but now there are more and more fairs: each big city has its own fair. The London Book Fair is one of the only ones that is dedicated to buying and selling rights. And it's nice to go there in spring, just because you're in London!!!