Finding an agent

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
You're going to struggle, I'm afraid.

Short story collections are very difficult to sell, and don't tend to sell many copies, making them not very popular among agents. However, if you've won any significant prizes, or have been published in places like the New Yorker, you've got a better chance.

Good luck.

52greg

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. I brought this concept to a well-known agent I've had an email relationship with for years, and she liked it, but she's too busy to pursue it.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I would suggest trying the usual routes. Query Tracker, I believe it’s called, has a long list of agents, if they’re open to submissions, and what type.

Potential agents probably would want the stories to have been published elsewhere first, however, though it probably doesn’t have to be as high profile as The New Yorker.

I’d think, though, that the process is the same as submitting novels. Cover letter, synopsis of the project as a whole, partial submission. I don’t see why it would be any different from that.

Melody

Writer of MG, YA and Adult
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, what other's have said as far as seeing if you can find an agent that will rep. that specifically. You might also try and find brand new agents without many clients who might be willing to this on. Maybe see if they rep. books in the general genre. If your short stories are mysteries, for example, find a young green agent who reps. mysteries, etc. and see if they might bite. Good luck!