How to punctuate "you two" in a sentence

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Sentence one:

I don't know why I'm telling you two that.

Sentence two:

Hey, you two, check out this one.

Is this correct punctuation?

It seems to me, if it's a direct address, it calls for the commas.

mourningdoves

Registered
Reaction score
They're both right.

I had to read Sentence One twice because it has been a long time since I've seen "you two" in written form, but it scans just fine.

In Sentence Two, I would go along with "Hey Joe, where you goin' with that money in your hand?" if it was in urban fiction, for instance, or writing that was mostly vernacular, but in a compound form ("Hey Geoff Mulligan, check it out!") it doesn't scan at all well without the commas holding the double name together.

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gregg Bell.

I believe that both sentences are correct, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "direct address" or the words "you two". Your second sentence is simply an example of "parenthical" commas.

There are a small number of, very simple*, rules and many websites and blogs which explain them.

*you see what I did here...? (c:

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
They're both right.

I had to read Sentence One twice because it has been a long time since I've seen "you two" in written form, but it scans just fine.

In Sentence Two, I would go along with "Hey Joe, where you goin' with that money in your hand?" if it was in urban fiction, for instance, or writing that was mostly vernacular, but in a compound form ("Hey Geoff Mulligan, check it out!") it doesn't scan at all well without the commas holding the double name together.

Thanks, doves. But I couldn't see "Hey Joe, where you..." Unless urban fiction means something I'm entirely unfamiliar with (which is very probable).

- - - Updated - - -

Last edited:

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gregg Bell.

I believe that both sentences are correct, but it has absolutely nothing to do with "direct address" or the words "you two". Your second sentence is simply an example of "parenthical" commas.

There are a small number of, very simple*, rules and many websites and blogs which explain them.

*you see what I did here...? (c:

Hi Bacchus. Thanks but it's got to be something more than parenthetical commas.

Why is it when you two get together there is always trouble.

Hey, you two, you're on the night shift tonight.

I think it's a direct address thing. If this last sentence was just parenthetical it would be misleading (as if you were addressing only one person).

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Gregg Bell.

It should read: "Hi, Gregg Bell."

Guttersquid is spot on. Like the greeting above, setting off "you two" with commas has absolutely everything to do with direct address and nothing to do with parenthetical commas.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
It is a direct address thing.

Thanks squid

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

It should read: "Hi, Gregg Bell."

Guttersquid is spot on. Like the greeting above, setting off "you two" with commas has absolutely everything to do with direct address and nothing to do with parenthetical commas.

Thanks Chase

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
Happy to stand corrected.

I have never heard of "direct address commas" but googling around some sites seem to suggest that they exist. Not sure that it isn't just a special case of one of the basic rules, but it seems to work every time.

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have never heard of "direct address commas" but googling around some sites seem to suggest that they exist.

Comma Rule Number 4: Interjections and forms of address are set off with commas.

Yes, I will accompany you to the ball.
No, I won’t!
You, sir, are out of line.
You may be assured, ma’am, of our concern.
Are you certain of that prognosis, Doctor?
Thank you, Mother, for all you do.

There’s a world of difference between “Let’s eat, Grandpa” and “Let’s eat Grandpa.”

Edit: It's quite understandable why some writers may not know of Comma Rule Number 4. It's ignored regularly. Even in this grammar thread, the proper address comma is forgotten in Posts #4, #6, #7, and #10. :Shrug:

Last edited: