The Internet Has Been Won Forever.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I like the way Max, in the comments, falsely believes Clinton's server was hacked by a foreign government.

How do you get through to such ignorance?

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
The entire Internet should be replaced by a pic of her with an open hand and a falling mic.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoy that those are sort of tooootally missing the point of her tweet.

As to getting through to them, I don't think that's a thing at this point. We just move on, imo.

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
Both Clinton and Comey should be disciplined. Security of classified information is not a matter where "Look, Look, he did it too!" is a valid argument or excuse. Neither Gmail nor whatever software that homebrew email server was running is especially secure. It is actually possible that the Gmail might be slightly more secure than whatever Clinton was using, since backdooring into Gmail could be significantly more difficult if the server was not patched and set up properly, but we'll never know. Considering the average politician/bureaucrat uses passwords like "password123" or the name of their pet if you let them, probably neither was very safe.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Both Clinton and Comey should be disciplined. Security of classified information is not a matter where "Look, Look, he did it too!" is a valid argument or excuse. Neither Gmail nor whatever software that homebrew email server was running is especially secure. It is actually possible that the Gmail might be slightly more secure than whatever Clinton was using, since backdooring into Gmail could be significantly more difficult if the server was not patched and set up properly, but we'll never know. Considering the average politician/bureaucrat uses passwords like "password123" or the name of their pet if you let them, probably neither was very safe.

First -- whatever she was using? She was using a server set up for a president of the United States, housed in a building controlled by the Secret Service.

Second, considering the current occupant of the WH is using, perpetually, an unsecured phone, and destroying documents (which is against the law), and that SEVERAL people in the administration, including people with West Wing access, like Kushner and Ivanka Trump, are using private email... on servers NOT set up and secured by the SS, wellllll...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Whatever Clinton did has no connection to what Trump and his closest associates have done, and everywhere you look with Trump, cockroaches of corruption scuttle back into the darkness.

Lock him up.

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Both Clinton ... should be disciplined. ...
Oh puhleese! I'm sorry but this is false equivalence bullshit.

Not one thing on Clinton's server was ever shown to do any damage, nor was there any evidence of any breaches of classified information.

None of Clinton's predecessors were ever scrutinized or held accountable for their emails. Colin Powell and Conde Rice didn't save a single email or any other paperwork for that matter. GW and Cheney were actually caught using the RNC email system to carry out abusing the justice system for partisan purposes.

Clinton was the election winner by some 3 million votes. But due to the GOP constantly bullying the FBI, eleven Ben Ghazi hearings, Clinton's emails discussed day after day in the news, Comey was so worried he might look partisan he sabotaged Clinton at the last minute all the while keeping tight reins on the Trump treason investigation.

Please take your false equivalency somewhere else.

Never mind, I'll step out of this discussion, there's nothing I can do about this travesty anyway except work on the 2018 elections.

Last edited:

R.A. Lundberg

Registered
Reaction score
First -- whatever she was using? She was using a server set up for a president of the United States, housed in a building controlled by the Secret Service.

Second, considering the current occupant of the WH is using, perpetually, an unsecured phone, and destroying documents (which is against the law), and that SEVERAL people in the administration, including people with West Wing access, like Kushner and Ivanka Trump, are using private email... on servers NOT set up and secured by the SS, wellllll...

All of this points out a significant weakness. Cybersecurity is a gigantic problem and most government agencies wrestle with it on a daily basis. Typical elected officials and high level bureaucrats have the same grasp of cybersecurity as they have of quantum mechanics. It's a constant struggle to get them to follow basic security procedures, and some will willfully disregard them if they can get away with it. The most basic of security procedures would have prevented the Democratic Party email hack during the election. It was a simple phishing email sent out that should have been caught but was not, and then a high-level staffer decided to click on it and infect the network with the virus that allowed the email harvest (which basic patching of the primary server should have prevented). This is, again, basic stuff. There's some evidence that the hack was attempted on the GOP side as well, but they had a more up-to-date security system, and the phishing email was caught before it could do any harm.
Cybersecurity is only as good as it's weakest link.
Again, I'll point out that "look, they are doing it too" is no excuse for any of this. Your takeaway from this should be "Oh, crap, everybody is saying screw security". Everybody pointing fingers and calling it hypocrisy is missing the point that it's not a Democrat or Republican problem, it's a problem everywhere in the Fedgov. This data flowing around is vulnerable, and until everybody gets on board with the program, hacks are going to happen.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Reason number 15,356,789 why I love that woman.

Lyv

I meant to do that.
Registered
Reaction score
I knew before I clicked on the thread what it was about. I love Hillary Clinton. Every day, she inspires me to work, work, work. Chelsea is another bright, bright Twitter light.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
All of this points out a significant weakness. Cybersecurity is a gigantic problem and most government agencies wrestle with it on a daily basis. Typical elected officials and high level bureaucrats have the same grasp of cybersecurity as they have of quantum mechanics. It's a constant struggle to get them to follow basic security procedures, and some will willfully disregard them if they can get away with it. The most basic of security procedures would have prevented the Democratic Party email hack during the election. It was a simple phishing email sent out that should have been caught but was not, and then a high-level staffer decided to click on it and infect the network with the virus that allowed the email harvest (which basic patching of the primary server should have prevented). This is, again, basic stuff. There's some evidence that the hack was attempted on the GOP side as well, but they had a more up-to-date security system, and the phishing email was caught before it could do any harm.
Cybersecurity is only as good as it's weakest link.
Again, I'll point out that "look, they are doing it too" is no excuse for any of this. Your takeaway from this should be "Oh, crap, everybody is saying screw security". Everybody pointing fingers and calling it hypocrisy is missing the point that it's not a Democrat or Republican problem, it's a problem everywhere in the Fedgov. This data flowing around is vulnerable, and until everybody gets on board with the program, hacks are going to happen.

Except, again, there's no evidence she was insecure, see.