• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

What should I do next?

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
I wrote an adult contemporary suspense novel. I edited it several times and then starting researching and querying. I was met with a bunch of rejections (40-ish). After the first 15-ish rejections I revised my query letter. Another 15, I revised agagin. I started working through the Query Shark blog in an attempt to substantially revise my query again and then my non-book life took a turn and distraction won.

Now my life is finding a different rhythm and I have some time to get back to my book life, but I'm not sure what to do next.

I've read all sorts of advice that says while querying it's best to start/continue other WIPs. I have two potential new projects, but I hesitate because they are both in different genres than my first novel and I've also read that is not so common, nor so wise.

One of my new potential WIP is a childrens story that embraces divesity, it's relevant and (I think) really beautiful. The other is another adult novel, but definitely more speculative than my first, probably magic realism. Obviously either new genre is going to require all new research.

In the meantime I've read more and more advice, mostly here and on Twitter (#askagent and the like) and now I'm worried my manuscript does more telling than showing and might need more revisions. I'm also sort of concerned (or maybe paranoid) that the problem with the query is the book. I've read that happens too. My thoughts are muddled. Querying has been especially frustrating for me because by nature and profession I am a sales person and have never in my life struggled to sell anything.

I haven't picked up the actual manuscript in at least six months. Maybe it's time to read it again.

So the question is, what should I do next?

Do I resume the Query Shark blog, revise and begin querying again?
Do I read my manuscript and potentially revise again and then begin the query process all over?
Do I start my children's book or my adult speculative novel?

Fwiw- I know I can utilize the SYW section, but I am still shy of 50 posts and have heeded advice not to rush to 50. Also think I'd be doing myself and yourselves a disservice to post before finishing my Query Shark homework.

Any and all advice welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! You said you revised your query letter, but there's no mention of changing the pages, too. It's possible that the pages could have been to blame.

I don't really want to tell you what to do, but I always put my manuscript away after it got a certain amount of rejections. During the querying phase, I always started on a new manuscript to take my mind off the process, so it was never too big of a deal for me to shelve the old book for a while. If you think you should revise and query again, go for it. While you're querying, though, definitely work on another project in the meantime. I don't think it's a big deal at all that your two WIPs are different than your first novel. Why limit yourself to one genre? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me. Pick the WIP that you're most excited about, not the one that you think is relevant or trendy, because your book probably won't be published until two years after you get an agent (assuming you're going traditional), and what people want/need will have changed.

Yes, don't rush to those fifty posts. I did that, and I definitely wasn't ready.

Hope some of this helped!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I wrote an adult contemporary suspense novel. I edited it several times and then starting researching and querying. I was met with a bunch of rejections (40-ish). After the first 15-ish rejections I revised my query letter. Another 15, I revised agagin. I started working through the Query Shark blog in an attempt to substantially revise my query again and then my non-book life took a turn and distraction won.

Now my life is finding a different rhythm and I have some time to get back to my book life, but I'm not sure what to do next.

I've read all sorts of advice that says while querying it's best to start/continue other WIPs. I have two potential new projects, but I hesitate because they are both in different genres than my first novel and I've also read that is not so common, nor so wise.

One of my new potential WIP is a childrens story that embraces divesity, it's relevant and (I think) really beautiful. The other is another adult novel, but definitely more speculative than my first, probably magic realism. Obviously either new genre is going to require all new research.

In the meantime I've read more and more advice, mostly here and on Twitter (#askagent and the like) and now I'm worried my manuscript does more telling than showing and might need more revisions. I'm also sort of concerned (or maybe paranoid) that the problem with the query is the book. I've read that happens too. My thoughts are muddled. Querying has been especially frustrating for me because by nature and profession I am a sales person and have never in my life struggled to sell anything.

I haven't picked up the actual manuscript in at least six months. Maybe it's time to read it again.

So the question is, what should I do next?

Do I resume the Query Shark blog, revise and begin querying again?
Do I read my manuscript and potentially revise again and then begin the query process all over?
Do I start my children's book or my adult speculative novel?

Fwiw- I know I can utilize the SYW section, but I am still shy of 50 posts and have heeded advice not to rush to 50. Also think I'd be doing myself and yourselves a disservice to post before finishing my Query Shark homework.

Any and all advice welcome!
Thanks in advance!

Continuing to research is a good idea, imo.

It's been six months, so picking the book up fresh sounds like a good idea too. If you look at it, decide to revise it, etc., and start up querying again then (though how big is your agent pool at this point?) that's not a bad idea either.

Writing something new is always a good idea, and these things are not all mutually exclusive. Why not start on a new project while you're reading about queries and then maybe look at the old?

The different genres thing is irrelevant in your case, as you didn't sell the first thing yet, so it's not different from anything. Also, nothing wrong with flexibility, but that advice is usually about not going in as a mystery writer and, if your book sells or an agent has it out on sub, suddenly deciding you're going to write inspirational Christian fic. Then an agent might have trouble both because he or she doesn't rep that (though there are usually other agents at an agency), or because if they sell one mystery to a publisher, and the publisher asks about new works, saying 'inspirational!' isn't what they want, You've got no starting point outside of yourself, so you're fine.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
Since you asked... ;)

Write the next book, whichever one is tugging on you the hardest to be written. Jumping into a fresh story is the best way to grow as a writer. A few books down the road you can go back to your first story if it's still calling to you (it may not, and that's okay. No experience is wasted.) In all likelihood you'll have become a better, more discerning writer, and will be able to better judge what your first book needs or if you even want to work on it any further.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
I've only been at this game for about a year, so that's my caveat here.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can post in the 'hook me in 200 words' thread. If you are telling too much, it will show right away.

My experience with show-don't-tell has been very progressive. I didn't get it at all for a few months - because to my mind every single word tells something. Someone gave me the barebones answer of "She is happy" is telling and "She smiled" is showing. That advice got me into a bit of trouble because I made sure to add all sorts of body movements into the story ... and this leads to other problems (in my case mostly filter words).

I tried to avoid 'backstory' and 'flashback' but it turns out that some internal narrative is just that, the character placing experience into their own context, which is ... sort of backstory.

I had tried to use proper sentence structure but it turns out sentence fragments can be fine and maybe more showy. So much to learn.

And at some point I realized a character thinking 'He's angry' about another character is not the same as the narrator declaring the main character is angry.

Gah.

But I also remember hitting the point where I suddenly saw the 'telling' in my work. I barely had to parse the words, I spotted it. I had learned! Yay! Now I read a page and circle the telling phrases and they're gone or reworked. Of course, I still have telling, I'm finding the odd words this morning as a matter of fact, but learning happens.(Some telling is appropriate too, it's a balance not a sin.)

^^Longwinded way of saying (1) Yeah, maybe your pages need work (none of us would know that), and you might be able to post two hundred words with your post count.

Separate answer: (2) Definitely writing something new uses a different part of the brain. I've started dipping into my next book and it's nice to take a break from the endless edits I've been doing. Yes. Write something new.

(3) Critique others' work. Also good.

Last edited:

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Work on the next project, the one you find charges you up the most.

While that is going on, get feedback on the other book. You can exchange manuscripts with other writers on the Betareaders, Mentors, and Writing Buddies forum.

First books are tough. You're developing your craft, and certainly you're going to get rejections, but they will be based on the writing, not your query letter. Many agents and editors don't bother reading the query and start with the submission itself to see if it holds up when someone comes at it cold. My agent reads five pages to tell whether a submission has potential.

Try the manuscript swap and don't include the query letter. :)

Hbooks

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone but you looked at your manuscript? If not, might be a good idea to see if you can hook up with a beta or critique partner and get some feedback, rather than editing it again yourself.

Harlequin

Eat books, not brains!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sunyidean.com
I wrote the next book while continuing to query. And while continuing to polish query skills + write short stories.

A year later: I've run out of agents to query for MS1 (not a single request out of 130 rejections; still stings a bit!) But I have some short story publications under my belt, am about to start querying MS2 with a very solid letter (much better than last year) and through incredible good fortune have a pending request (!) for MS2 despite the still being at the polishing and editing stages.

I think keeping up momentum is important. Keep learning. Keep trying. If you get published itwill be hte next book, and the next... so good practiceI reckon. Agents like to have options, too. More than one thing they can try to flog.

Last edited:

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
Not only are you helpful, but quick too!

First, thank you ALL!! I have taken wisdom from every one of your responses!

I don't really want to tell you what to do...
I asked you to, thank you :)

I don't think it's a big deal at all that your two WIPs are different than your first novel. Why limit yourself to one genre? Doesn't make a whole lot of sense to me.

Well, when you put it that way... and then add

The different genres thing is irrelevant in your case, as you didn't sell the first thing yet, so it's not different from anything. Also, nothing wrong with flexibility..... You've got no starting point outside of yourself, so you're fine.

Brilliant, you made that so simple, cornflake. I guess it doesn't make much sense. Thank you both point taken and appreciated.

Pick the WIP that you're most excited about, not the one that you think is relevant or trendy, because your book probably won't be published until two years after you get an agent (assuming you're going traditional), and what people want/need will have changed.

Understood. The childrens book is actually is the one that I'm most passionate about at the moment and while it is trendy, it isn't a contrived attempt at diversity, just a really beautiful message I want to send in to the world. If I miss the golden agent window I suppose I'lll be back here lamenting that. Such is life.

Yes, don't rush to those fifty posts. I did that, and I definitely wasn't ready.

Hope some of this helped!
Quite possibly the only rookie mistake I haven't made. Thanks all of that helped!

Continuing to research is a good idea, imo.

It's been six months, so picking the book up fresh sounds like a good idea too. If you look at it, decide to revise it, etc., and start up querying again then (though how big is your agent pool at this point?) that's not a bad idea either.

Validating. Helpful. Thank you. Rhetorical question I think, but I have another 10 or 12 agents on my list in the US (never got as far as UK agents) and I stopped short for just that reason.

Writing something new is always a good idea, and these things are not all mutually exclusive. Why not start on a new project while you're reading about queries and then maybe look at the old?

I guess I was worried about the amount of time whatever I begin or continue next might take, but now that I'm thinking about it deeper, I suppose I'm not losing time or wasting time as much as passing time in any event, so, why not indeed? You are a wise soul. Thank you.

Since you asked... ;)

Write the next book, whichever one is tugging on you the hardest to be written. Jumping into a fresh story is the best way to grow as a writer. A few books down the road you can go back to your first story if it's still calling to you (it may not, and that's okay. No experience is wasted.) In all likelihood you'll have become a better, more discerning writer, and will be able to better judge what your first book needs or if you even want to work on it any further.

I did ask, thank you :) I was just given this exact same advice from my now ex-boss about my non-book life. Helps to hear it again here. Thank you.

I've only been at this game for about a year, so that's my caveat here.

Someone can correct me if I am wrong, but I think you can post in the 'hook me in 200 words' thread. If you are telling too much, it will show right away.
Interesting thought. Thank you, I may try that. Also may be a way of boosting my post count without being overly gratuitous.

experience with show-don't-tell has been very progressive. I didn't get it at all for a few months - because to my mind every single word tells something....
^^Longwinded way of saying (1) Yeah, maybe your pages need work (none of us would know that), and you might be able to post two hundred words with your post count.

Show-don't-tell has been a progressive awakening for me too. Which it is sort of why it is just now dawning on me it may be a problem. One of my beta readers had made a comment that could possibly be alluding to exactly this. He thought it was a pacing problem, but I suspect it was language problem between us, meaning his criticism doesn't come from one well versed in the subtleties of the craft.

Separate answer: (2) Definitely writing something new uses a different part of the brain. I've started dipping into my next book and it's nice to take a break from the endless edits I've been doing. Yes. Write something new.

(3) Critique others' work. Also good.

Also an interesting point, never thought about it like that. I'm so glad I posed this question. You folks have been so helpful!

Still a little nervous about critiquing others. But soon enough I'll find my big girl panties and dive in.

Work on the next project, the one you find charges you up the most.

While that is going on, get feedback on the other book. You can exchange manuscripts with other writers on the Betareaders, Mentors, and Writing Buddies forum.

First books are tough. You're developing your craft, and certainly you're going to get rejections, but they will be based on the writing, not your query letter. Many agents and editors don't bother reading the query and start with the submission itself to see if it holds up when someone comes at it cold. My agent reads five pages to tell whether a submission has potential.

Try the manuscript swap and don't include the query letter. :)

Thank you! That helps prioritze too! Because I guess all the agent and query research in the world gets me nowhere if the manuscript still needs work. I'm still a little scared to swap, but it seems to be a necessary evil. Maybe I'll feel better about it after I've read it again. If for no other reason for want not to waste anyones time with things I could have caught myself.

Wise, wise, folks on this board.

You aren't kidding first books are tough. I swear I read all of the articles on rookie mistakes to avoid, exclaimed "Not me, I read the articles" and then proceeded to make them all.

Funny, a few short months ago I made my intro post here and commented that I wasn't sure I could call myself a writer. I made an analogy to the only other forum I belong to (a billiards forum) and my skill level in that field. I said that I knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that i was a card carrying member of the billiards community but wasn't sure I deserved a similar honor in this community. I based that on my many years of competition, practice, my recognition by other member of the industry. etc. and how I would feel as an established member witnessing an all things equal rookie endeavor.

The consensus was if you write you are a writer and that's that- all that fall under that umbrella are welcome here and I am grateful for that. However, I'm sitting here now reading the sage advice you've all just given me and can't help but think my stripes here are yet to be earned. I'm also recognizing that following your advice is how I earn them.

Thank you ALL, again. You've given me clarity and much needed direction!

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone but you looked at your manuscript? If not, might be a good idea to see if you can hook up with a beta or critique partner and get some feedback, rather than editing it again yourself.

I had some readers early on, but only one of which is a writer. It seems it may be time for that.

I think keeping up momentum is important. Keep learning. Keep trying. If you get published itwill be hte next book, and the next... so good practiceI reckon. Agents like to have options, too. More than one thing they can try to flog.

I agree momentum is important. That's sort what brought me here today. I didn't want to just stall out, but I wasn't sure where my attention was best directed. I think, after digesting this advice, I'm going to start researching and working on the children's book and read my manuscript again before I make decisions there.

It's amazing how much clarity you've all given me in a few short hours! Thanks again and again!

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a similarish situation to you. I started querying, had never done it before, poor cover letter, not great synopsis etc My first round was all rejections.

So I did some proper research on cover letters (I'm in the UK so they are a bit different to US query letters), I rewrote my cover letter and synopsis many many times.

I then started a new book, researched it, wrote three chapters.

Then, after the new book break, I went back and did two more edits of my initial book. I had thought it was finished and in pretty good shape. I was wrong. Sharing my first chapter on here was a real help for opening my eyes to easy and obvious mistakes that I had been passing by, I guess just because I was overly familiar with the words and the story.

I'm now ready for round two!

So, long story short, I wouldn't dismiss going through the manuscript again.

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Get thee to a critique group.

After you've survived that, find a few betas. They don't have to be other writers. You're not writing for other writers, you're writing for readers.

While all that's going on, start your next book.

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Learning your craft is like learning to play the piano. You have to practice and maybe that first piece you take to the recital ain't really ready for the public. It's okay to work on a new piece, so long as you keep learning and working.

A couple years ago a sample MS came across my desk for critique, and I gave it a right walloping, according to the writer. She decided it was too flawed and consigned it to the "trunk."

This year, she sent me another piece for critique, and my jaw dropped. I asked her if she had the rest of the MS completed. I want to send the sample to my agent.

She is waiting to hear back from her beta readers, will do a final polish, then I can forward it. She is, of course, THRILLED.

Practice, practice, practice.

ValerieJane

Registered
Reaction score
I just want to stop in and say that I'm currently going through the same thing, except I haven't even started querying yet; my first manuscript is just not ready, even though I've revised and rewritten several times. I'm trying to be patient, but it's difficult to think about going through and rewriting the manuscript AGAIN. I was considering starting a new project while my manuscript is out to a few beta readers, but I wasn't sure if that would be the right thing to do at this point. The advice in this thread is really helpful to me. I hope you figure out what's best for you, OP.

carrie_ann

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in a similarish situation to you. I started querying, had never done it before, poor cover letter, not great synopsis etc My first round was all rejections.....

I'm now ready for round two! Congratulations!!

So, long story short, I wouldn't dismiss going through the manuscript again.

Nice to know I'm not alone, thank you! I'm going to read it again in the very near future. It's been about 6 months. Hopefully I can read it like a reader this time.

Get thee to a critique group.

After you've survived that, find a few betas. They don't have to be other writers. You're not writing for other writers, you're writing for readers.

While all that's going on, start your next book.

Most of my betas enjoyed the story, the only thing they didn't really agree on was the last chapter. The debate was whether it should exist or not. Some folks liked the wrap up, some preferred it open-ended.

Clearly, the feedback I have received hasn't clarified much, so more feedback can't be a bad idea.

I'm going to read it first with fresh eyes and see if there are any glaring issues and then I will heed your advice, thank you!

Learning your craft is like learning to play the piano. You have to practice and maybe that first piece you take to the recital ain't really ready for the public. It's okay to work on a new piece, so long as you keep learning and working.

A couple years ago a sample MS came across my desk for critique, and I gave it a right walloping, according to the writer. She decided it was too flawed and consigned it to the "trunk."

This year, she sent me another piece for critique, and my jaw dropped. I asked her if she had the rest of the MS completed. I want to send the sample to my agent.

She is waiting to hear back from her beta readers, will do a final polish, then I can forward it. She is, of course, THRILLED.

Practice, practice, practice.

So exciting for her! That was my point about playing pool. I played 40 hours a week and competed for over 15 years. When someone came through and thought they were going to bring down the industry with 6 months of practice, unless they were some kind of prodigy, the collective scoffed. You are all very kind not to scoff.

I will practice, practice, practice and hope to drop a jaw at some point in the future! Thank you!

I just want to stop in and say that I'm currently going through the same thing, except I haven't even started querying yet; my first manuscript is just not ready, even though I've revised and rewritten several times. I'm trying to be patient, but it's difficult to think about going through and rewriting the manuscript AGAIN. I was considering starting a new project while my manuscript is out to a few beta readers, but I wasn't sure if that would be the right thing to do at this point. The advice in this thread is really helpful to me. I hope you figure out what's best for you, OP.

I'm normally not so short on patience, but admittedly when I typed 'the end' on 86k words I couldn't wait to show anyone and everyone. The first couple of rounds of edits were absolutely necessary, but I did reach a point where I just wasn't sure if it needed more. I should have paused AT THAT POINT and found some CPs or more betas before I started querying. (That was in the articles I read and ignored.)

Thanks for letting me know I'm not alone. Best of luck to you!!

Thanks again to everyone!

mafiaking1936

Nihil debetur. Nihil debens.
Registered
Reaction score
If you haven't yet, while you're getting to 50 here you could post your query in the QueryTracker forum. There are fewer people there and they're generally much gentler, but still useful feedback.

divine-intestine

Hardened drinker
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Start a new project while you let the old one sit and rest for a while. Then you take it to a critique group and get that baby critiqued until it sparkles like a baby bottom in the summer sun. But don't do it to a real baby because ... y'know. They've got feelings.