how much should I ask for if my proposal is accepted?

flowerburgers

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
Registered
Reaction score
Forgive me if these questions are stupid as I'm clueless about the world of nonprofit organizations and nonfiction writing...in short, I randomly got a job copyediting a workbook for an educational nonprofit that distributes curriculum to my city's school district, and the woman who hired me has allowed me to propose a workbook on Peoples Temple. I consider myself a scholar on the subject, will enlist the help of other scholars, and should ultimately wind up with perhaps one hundred pages of material (including a selection primary sources for students to consider, discussion questions, lesson plans for teachers, and a historical overview that I will write). I feel perfectly equipped to do this (and excited!), but I've never undertaken such a project, and I'm assuming (perhaps incorrectly) that they will ask me how much I expect to be paid. I have several fiction publications, three years of teaching experience, and a Master's in English, and I currently charge $30/hr for freelance copyediting. Do you think the organization will offer an hourly rate or an advance? What do you think is a fair amount to request? I have no idea how long this will take. Because they are a nonprofit doing important work and because I think the story of Peoples Temple deserves to be told, the last thing I want to do is monetize this project, but it will take a lot of energy and I do need to make a living. What do you think?

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Are they a publisher? If not, then you might well be better sending your proposal to a publisher which works in this area, and suggesting to your contact that they then buy in copies of the book. Or you could of course write the book, self-publish it, and then they can buy in as many copies as they want.

If they're not a publisher, I'm not sure what you should suggest. I doubt they'll offer an advance, though.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Having worked for and with non-profits and governments for most of my working career and having written a ton of non-fiction, I have never proposed a fee up front, only responded to offers, and I have never seen a non-profit publish a work, without a grant, that really paid the author much more than a small stipend.

The problem with non-profits is that most of their publishing endeavors don't generate revenue for the non-profit. Unless the published work is either mandated reporting, covered by a grant or part of the non-profit's mission, the best that they can hope for is a donor to cover costs. Which does happen, but it's really rare.

Submit the proposal and see what they offer. Go from there. Don't expect to get rich but, unless the non-profit is something you support, don't take a hearty "Thank You" as payment.

Jeff