On the hunt for fellow fantasy writers!

Jenny-jenn9000

Registered
Reaction score
Hi! I am an amateur fantasy writer on the hunt for a beta buddy who is interested in sharing their work and the struggles of drafting their first novel. My MS is incomplete, so I would like to find someone who's MS is also incomplete and would like to swap chapters (or just whatever they are working on) on a weekly/monthly basis. I am not a grammar guru, so I can't offer an editorial eye in that department. However, I am very willing to read and provide honest, constructive feedback on your work to the best of my ability! (And I expect that to be reciprocated!)

I was referred to this community by an author friend and am hoping to gain valuable insight on writing accurate fight scenes and describing gore in a way that is gross, but not too gross. Also, grammar threads on first person POV would be great! (Maybe those exist here??) So, if you could point me in the direction of any threads pertaining to these topics that would be awesome!

If you think we might be a good fit, please drop a line to say hello! I would love to swap a brief synopsis or excerpt via PM.

Off to the sci-fi/fantasy threads I go!

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Hail, fair traveler! :greenie

Good work on working on a manuscript. That means you're making progress. We have a section on Beta-Reading and the like under one of the sub-forums-, so that might guide you in the right direction. You can also do a forum search above the Advanced Search hyperlink to find thread(s) based on the P.O.V that you are looking for. That should suffice for finding things.

What is your MS about? :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:welcome:

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report each week to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments.
Awesome smilies and awards are given out.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!
Here’s how to Promote With Aplomb.

Try stopping by Writing Exercises, Prompts & Whimsical Pursuits and give the Flash Fiction Challenge a try.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
There’s a great beta section where you should be able to find a good partner.

Welcome to AW!

George Trigiris

Registered
Reaction score
Warm welcome from a fellow fantasy writer.

Fight scenes can be tough, but they don't have to be too gore. If you're having trouble describing them, pm me.

cocoidie18

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome Jenny!

I am also writing a fantasy story and am (essentially) new to the forums.

Ask for reading suggestions perhaps for writing gore. It really helps to read other author's work online or in published form to find your own voice. Everything you read influences and helps your own writing, so do writing exercises and give constructive feedback.

I would be happy to look over your story, my response time will depend on the length. PM me if you're interested.