YA readers prefer physcial books, not e-books - true or not?

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I was considering self-publishing a YA novel I accidentally wrote (long story...!). I have a good readership base in adult novels and a decent web presence, so I thought I might as well give it a shot. I was originally planning just to do an e-book, but then several people suggested that YA readers are much lighter on using e-books than other genres, and so I might hit a wall pretty quickly.

Another hurdle was suggested to me be a sage (literally, Sage :)) that e-books do better when readers connect with each other and make recommendations, which YA readers might not do as much as in romance/erotica, for example.

So, I'm wondering if anyone has self-pubbed an e-book, and if so whether your experience matches these concerns. Thanks!!

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
I've not self-published in YA (yet) but am trade-published in it and plugged in to things YA--and yes, it seems to be the case from everything I've heard) that YA readers prefer paper to e-books. So making your book available in both formats is probably a good idea, because there's a large population of adult YA fiction readers, and they do buy ebooks.

Woollybear

Registered
Reaction score
My eighteen year old is rereading a paper copy of Percy Jackson as we speak but she recently discovered she can download ebooks from the library (Libby or Lib-e) and is over the moon about that.

She prefers paper. She says many prefer ebooks. She says it is hard to read on her phone but a kindle might be different.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a kid who likes ebooks particularly -- which is purely anecdotal, but there it is. I know someone gave their three kids their own ereaders with festive covers and everything, loaded with books. The kids were like 'oh, those are nice...' and went right back to their paper books.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I've yet to meet a kid who likes ebooks particularly -- which is purely anecdotal, but there it is. I know someone gave their three kids their own ereaders with festive covers and everything, loaded with books. The kids were like 'oh, those are nice...' and went right back to their paper books.

Parents are constantly complaining to me that their kids don't like ebooks. At this point I can (also anecdotally) confirm kids preferring print is A Thing.

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
Adding to the anecdotal evidence, my 3 YAs prefer paper.

Loverofwords

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm nineteen and I prefer paper. I don't think I know anyone that reads e-books, come to think of it. Most of my friends don't read, but if they do, they always buy the actual, tangible copy.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Perhaps, also pertinent to the OP's interests is how these teens gain access to these books. Do they mainly shop in stores, get books from the library, get them as gifts, buy online, a mix? It probably doesn't matter what format a self-pubbed book is in if teens all get books from libraries and Barnes & Noble. If they're buying online, there's more hope of getting it into their hands.

gduber

Registered
Reaction score
I remember trying to get into PDFs/text-files when I was a 'young adult' and never could. The thing that really bugged me about ebooks was the tediousness of keeping up with where I was when I took a break. If acrobat had a bookmark function back then, I never figured it out. There was also the restrictive nature of having to have a laptop or be sitting at a PC (before cell-phones and kendle stuff) to read. Kids don't really have those issues now, so I would have though electronic format would be more popular. It's a pretty interesting phenomenon.

RaggyCat

Registered
Reaction score
Another vote to the "YAs prefer physical copies of books". Personally, I find that quite heartening. HOWEVER, as we all know a significant number of YA readers are not teenagers, and they will buy e-books, I'd hazard a guess even more than physical books. Certainly my sales figures are massively biased in favour of electronic sales, which is mainly as a result of a big Amazon promotion on my debut, and most of those sales were to adults (quite a few of them bought it in error if my Amazon reviews are anything to go by...)

Anyway, for that reason I think anyone self-publishing YA would be well-advised to do both hard and e copies.

zmethos

from words to worlds
Registered
Reaction score
Website
mpepperlanglinais.com
My three kids definitely look for physical books despite having access to e-readers. That may change over time, but they find most of what they read at the library or Half-Price Books. I've downloaded stuff for them to read digitally and they never seem to get through those. They'll even go find the paperback at HPB rather than continue on the e-reader. As best I can tell, all their friends read physical books too. This is all anecdotal, of course, and as many have pointed out, adult readers of YA may prefer ebooks.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
As an adult reader of YA, I like both physical and ebooks. I tend to do physical books when I love the cover and ebooks when I don't, but there are times when one or the other is just too convenient a buy to consider the cover (ebook deals, impulse buys in a bookstore, signed copies, etc.). When I lived in Ohio, I got a lot of physical books from the library too (it was great to try out things I wasn't sure I wanted to buy), but never got an ebook from it.

edutton

Ni. Peng. Neee-Wom.
Registered
Reaction score
My 17yo refuses to read ebooks. We actually had a conversation about that this week, since there's a book I've been trying to get her to read for months ("Peter Darling", by Austin Chant - LOVE IT! :)) that doesn't have a physical edition*, and she said she just doesn't like e-readers. She doesn't mind scrolling fanfic all day on her laptop, but only wants actual books. :Shrug:

*Apparently it does now, but it's really expensive for a novella...

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think that's an oversimplification, and doesn't address the OP's question. He's already facing an uphill battle by self-publishing outside of the big SP genres. He clearly already has the book written and wants to get it out there, so it's not really a matter of "writing the book you want to write." The YA market might be diverse, but if your book isn't somewhere where the readers of it are looking, it doesn't matter. If you pub as an ebook, and most teens aren't even looking at ebooks, how would the readers who would like your book ever find it? Is that worth the time and cost of publishing that way?

Also, if it was just a matter of writing the book you must write because the YA market is so diverse, everyone who wrote YA would be published in it and doing well. While I say, in general, you should write the book you want, it's way simplifying to imply that that's all it takes because your book will find it's place in the market.

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Mark, your question is moot if you go with most trade publishers, even the fairly small ones. And with your prior publishing experience, judging from your web site, your agent (or you) can likely get you published by one of the larger or mid-size trade publishers. They will want to buy rights to both print and ebook formats. It would be a rare case where they buy ebook rights but don't publish. So your YA book will go out in both formats.

If you self-publish (as I do) my experience is that physical books sell a lot fewer than ebooks. It may be specific to me so far, but I sell 2-3 print books for every 100 ebooks. That's since my first book went out 6 years ago and as you see from my sig I'm up to six books so far with two in the pipeline and a third going the rounds of agents seeking trade publication.

That's in general. YA MIGHT be different. I think it unlikely.

In any case, if you self publish, do what most substantial trade publishers do: publish in both formats. It's much easier to do ebooks, and they are more likely to sell quicker and so get the rumor mill working for you. So do that format first. Amazon has made it fairly easy and has a big hand-holder community.

They even have a service which will turn your ebook into a print version. I haven't tried it. I'm dubious about the results. In any case after eight tries I've gotten good at creating a print version.

And as for the teens preferring "pbooks" over ebooks. I don't doubt other's posts about their own experience, but mine is the opposite. I have ten nieces, nephews, and grandkids. Only one liked pbooks over ebooks. He said it's because he likes the smell of print books. Three others read both formats with no preference.

Why do they read ebooks over pbooks? I asked and got an "Isn't it obvious look?" Ebooks fit on their phones, of which most teens nowadays have. Ebooks weigh nothing, cost less (from 80% of pbook costs to as low as 30%), and can be gotten for free from modern libraries nowadays.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I peruse a lot of YA review sites and YA booktubers, and for some readers, the "unboxing" (or acquisition of the item, when you first put your hands on a virgin copy and know it's yours) is one of the draws, plus the attractive covers. I am pretty sure such factors tilt a reader's opinion when the writing and story are poor.

CJMatthewson

Registered
Reaction score
Coming from the perspective of a 'young adult': I'm happy to read indie YAs on kindle... I really like LGBT fantasy novels and there aren't a lot of those coming from mainstream pubs, so I like that kindle gives me the option to read books I might be otherwise unable to find.

However, I do prefer paperback books so when there isn't much of a price difference between a kindle edition and a paperback I'm always keen to get the hard copy. A lot of indie authors have a price difference of £8+ between kindle and create space editions so I often find myself downloading the ebook.