World Cup North America 2026

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Kinda unexpected. A joint host by Canada, Mexico, and the USA. Well eight years is kind of a long time and Trump's successor will no doubt devote his/herself to amend the relationship between the three natural allies...

Justobuddies

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Registered
Reaction score
Any reason given for why FIFA decided not to award it to a single country for the first time ever? Feels a little bit like getting the US to foot most of the bill for a world cup as punishment for our involvement in the corruption arrests a few years back. I'm not completely mad about maybe being close enough to get to see some good international play (we don't usually get to see good football played in the US) since there will likely be a group stage in my neck of the woods.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Any reason given for why FIFA decided not to award it to a single country for the first time ever?

a) US/Canada/Mexico have stadiums that could host the World Cup tomorrow - Morocco would have had to build 20 stadiums
b) US/Canada/Mexico anticipate breaking the record for most attendees at a World Cup (Currently held by the US for 1994)
c) US/Canada/Mexico project an 11.2Bn profit for FIFA in tickets/accessory sales/etc. - Morocco could only project 5.3Bn.
d) Of the 60 matches - Mexico will host 10, Canada 10, US 40. Finals will be held either in NYC, LA, or Dallas - project more people at opening games/final than the largest Super Bowl crowd.
e) US/Canada/Mexico already broadcast/internet prepped and ready today (ref. point A for Morocco).

Those are the main reasons the North America bid won. US might have won on their own, but by adding Canada/Mexico it was a walk-over in the voting.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
I was gonna say something snarky about this, but no. We've had enough of that.

Let us commend this, and look forward to three great nations celebrating their unity and friendship on the world stage. Better days ahead, my friends.
:Sun::Sun::Sun:

Last edited:

Jolly-Boo

Please, call me Boo
Registered
Reaction score
By then we'll have built great beautiful walls on both sides of the border.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
So do all three host countries have their national teams in the finals?

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno about the other two, but Canada in the Finals would mean we gave FIFA free donor kidneys in perpetuity. :roll:Or possibly the end of the world. Either way, Canadians will get into the Finals in our traditional ways: by buying tickets, selling beer, or working in stadiums.:Shrug:

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Not yet. Quaiifying for the World Cup takes place two years or so before the competition.

caw
But do they have to go through qualifying rounds? It is usual practice that the host nation's team does not have to qualify to be in the finals - Russia didn't, which is just as well as they most likely would not have made it.

Edit: just saw in my newspaper that this has not been decided yet by FIFA. Probably they will as the tournament is to be expanded to 48 teams.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But it's asking a lot to have a not one, but several countries jump the queue, and get top spots ahead of more deserving teams. I mean, why not bump up a couple of others from the non-qualifiers, teams that just missed the cut-off and make an 'under-card'? They could run them in smaller stadiums, in places that normally wouldn't get to see international soccer.
(And if it makes a few local kids and coaches think "Hell, I could do better!", that could be good for local team development.)

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
There are a lot of tweaks FIFA could do to improve the World Cup tournament, but, hey, look! Bone Spurs has taken his big bite of credit for getting the US to host the World Cup: "I did a lot of work on this."

Riiiiiiiight.

caw

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Does he even know what soccer is? Bet when he hears 'football', he doesn't think of anything but U.S. football. And probably wonders why they call it the 'World Cup', when the proper name should be 'World Bowl', and the U.S. should win.
Wait 'til he realizes that he's going to be associating with Canada and Mexico.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Dunno about the other two, but Canada in the Finals would mean we gave FIFA free donor kidneys in perpetuity. :roll:Or possibly the end of the world. Either way, Canadians will get into the Finals in our traditional ways: by buying tickets, selling beer, or working in stadiums.:Shrug:

So then the same way the US Men's Team get to the finals.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I guess Trump won't have to worry about people taking a knee when the anthem is played at the medal ceremonies.;)
We won't either, but it's not as big a thing for Canadians.