When to use italics

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
My new manuscript includes quite a lot of bars, song titles and newspapers. Should I italicise all of them? None? Some?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not individual song titles.. Those are customarily rendered in quotation marks, as are the titles of short stories (e.g., "The Long and Winding Road", by the Beatles. A full-length book title is italicized, as would be the title of a music album (e.g., Abbey Road, by the Beatles), or a movie or a TV series.

Also customarily italicized are the names of ships (e.g., HMS Irrelevant).

And it is standard practice to use italics for emphasis; just don't overdo that.

Purdue OWL is also a good reference for such things.

caw

efreysson

Closer than ever
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies, and apologies for not voicing them sooner. I'm kind of terrible about that.

One more question related to the topic: Stories. That is, folk tales. Should Little Red Riding Hood and the like be italicised?

Chase

It Takes All of Us to End Racism
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
One more question related to the topic: Stories. That is, folk tales. Should Little Red Riding Hood and the like be italicised?

No. As others have said, book titles are italicized and short stories are in quotes:

Grimms' Fairy Tales, an English version of the book by Jacob and Wilhelm Grimm, contain "Hansel and Gretel," "Snow White," "Little Red Cap," and other stories.

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Here's an article on Beth Hill's the editorsblog. Link

It's an extensive list of examples with explanations too!

The whole site is super helpful!

:)