Quote Originally Posted by neandermagnon View Post
I've heard the term "wings" used in relation to the theatre, meaning the areas to the left and right of the stage. I've also heard the term "gantry" used in theatre, though I don't know specifically what it refers to. I have also often heard the expression "waiting in the wings" meaning waiting, ready to do something when required, akin to waiting just off the side of the stage, ready for your cue to come onstage and perform.

There may be differences between British and American English with regards to this kind of vocab.
I've definitely heard of 'waiting in the wings'.

Doing a bit of research, I found the gantry is a more modern term for a bridge-like and temporary structure where cameras are attached if the performance is to be telecast (gantry crane).