A Question About Height

neandermagnon

Nolite timere, consilium callidum habeo!
Registered
Reaction score
Also, another question (seeing as I clearly know nothing about theatres) would you say 'wing' or wings' or 'off-left/off-right' wing/s?

As in: I went to the off-left wing/s? Or I went to the wing/s?

Thanks

I've heard the term "wings" used in relation to the theatre, meaning the areas to the left and right of the stage. I've also heard the term "gantry" used in theatre, though I don't know specifically what it refers to. I have also often heard the expression "waiting in the wings" meaning waiting, ready to do something when required, akin to waiting just off the side of the stage, ready for your cue to come onstage and perform.

There may be differences between British and American English with regards to this kind of vocab.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
I've heard the term "wings" used in relation to the theatre, meaning the areas to the left and right of the stage. I've also heard the term "gantry" used in theatre, though I don't know specifically what it refers to. I have also often heard the expression "waiting in the wings" meaning waiting, ready to do something when required, akin to waiting just off the side of the stage, ready for your cue to come onstage and perform.

There may be differences between British and American English with regards to this kind of vocab.

I've definitely heard of 'waiting in the wings'.

Doing a bit of research, I found the gantry is a more modern term for a bridge-like and temporary structure where cameras are attached if the performance is to be telecast (gantry crane).

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you once more :) Great discussion.

My MC is pushed, the ropes save him from the fall (which is why I wanted it to be a height that would be considered threatening), then the attacker begins to cut the ropes, but MC is saved in time.

You know there're generally rails there, right? Like, a high rail it'd be hard to push someone over, and often several. If you shove someone down and then push them through or shove someone from underneath but...

Also, another question (seeing as I clearly know nothing about theatres) would you say 'wing' or wings' or 'off-left/off-right' wing/s?

As in: I went to the off-left wing/s? Or I went to the wing/s?

Thanks

The wings, ime. I've never heard anyone use the singular. Also it's just wings, or wings stage left/right. I dunno what you want them for but in most theatres I'm acquainted with, while people can and do enter and exit the stage from either side, and those are both the wings, there's really only one side people 'use.' The other side usually has the fly lines, ladders to the catwalk, etc., and isn't roomy. The other side leads to the rest of backstage, has the podium, etc., etc. In case you've got people hanging around.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
You know there're generally rails there, right? Like, a high rail it'd be hard to push someone over, and often several. If you shove someone down and then push them through or shove someone from underneath but...

There has been some sabotage done to counter that :)

The wings, ime. I've never heard anyone use the singular. Also it's just wings, or wings stage left/right. I dunno what you want them for but in most theatres I'm acquainted with, while people can and do enter and exit the stage from either side, and those are both the wings, there's really only one side people 'use.' The other side usually has the fly lines, ladders to the catwalk, etc., and isn't roomy. The other side leads to the rest of backstage, has the podium, etc., etc. In case you've got people hanging around.

Thank you. That's what I needed. I'd thought it was 'wings' also, then left or right. :)

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
"Gantry" is a more contemporary term, usually used in reference to studios or movie sets. If you're talking about a theatre built to produce live entertainment, particularly one dating back to the Victorian era, the area above the stage is called the flies (because that's where drops and other scenery "fly" in from). The fly floor is a platform from which the system of ropes and counterweights responsible for the raising and lowering of scenery are accessed. It's usually located in one wing, well overhead. In the pre-automation days, the flies were operated by hand, by stagehands who were often ex-sailors and accustomed to both heights and ropes. To access the fly rails (the long horizontal poles from which flown scenery is hung), stagehands would use catwalks. The catwalk would be the logical place for a fatal fall to occur, especially if someone has tampered with the safety railing.

The proscenium is essentially the opening through which the audience views a show - the "picture frame" for the show, if you will. If you think of the stage as a box, and take away one side of the box, you've created a proscenium. The playing area downstage of the proscenium is called the apron. (If you are headed downstage, you are moving toward the audience. If you're headed upstage, you're moving away from them. This is because most early stages were raked, meaning that they were built to slope downward toward the audience. This improved sightlines for the audience but was hard on actors since they were essentially playing at a tilt; theatres in the 20th century were typically built with raked audience seating instead.)

Stage left and stage right refer to the actor's left and right when facing the audience; house right and house left refer to the audience's left and right when facing the stage.

In the 1850s (when your story is set), electric lighting did not exist in theatres. Gaslights illuminated the stage, and most of them were positioned in footlights (a horizontal row of lights along the edge of the apron, between the actors and the audience), border lights (a horizontal row of lights mounted overhead between the fly rails), and wing lights (vertical strip lights focused on the stage from the wings). Gaslight was smelly and generated a lot of heat. Limes were forerunners of the modern spotlight; by burning a cylinder of quicklime, a sharp, clear beam of focused light could be created to illuminate an actor's face, a particular part of the set, or even make the illusion of the sun or moon in a scene. (It's where the expression in the limelight comes from.) Limes were typically located in the theatre's balcony, or at the rear of the house.

In theatres where music was needed, a pit was located just in front of the apron, between the stage and the audience. This was a lowered area in which the musicians sat to play. The pit might be surrounded by a low curtained rail to mask the musicians from the audience.

The wings are located off stage right and off stage left. You can certainly refer to them in the singular ("The stagehand stood in the left wing."), and certainly both the right and left wings were used. The crossover is the area between the set and the stage's back wall where an actor or crew person can pass unseen during a show (not every set design provides this option). During the early Victorian era, settings were established by using painted drops rather than the huge, realistic sets you see in contemporary theatre. The wings didn't need to be spacious; therefore the wing area was usually quite narrow, cramped and dark. (Theatres constructed prior to the 1930s are problematic for today's productions; the show I did last year was in one of Broadway's oldest theatres, and wing space was nearly nonexistent. All our massive set pieces had to be "flown" when not actively in use, which meant that if you looked up as you exited into the wings, you had the unnerving experience of seeing a staircase, a king-sized bed, desks, department store display cases and the like dangling above overhead.)

Hope this info helps.

Last edited:

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey, lovely people, how high would a theatre's gantry be from the ground (the structure that holds the lights, ropes and equipment, etc above the stage).

As high as the theater allows. :)

The last production I worked on, the lighting was 32 feet above the stage, the curtains and backdrops, 24 feet. I've been on lower and I've been on higher, so make it what you need. Or simply don't specify if the height detail isn't required for the story. Just say the guy fell from the lighting grid and broke his neck, wrist, ankle, pelvis, heart, whatever.

Jeff

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
"Gantry" is a more contemporary term, usually used in reference to studios or movie sets. If you're talking about a theatre built to produce live entertainment, particularly one dating back to the Victorian era, the area above the stage is called the flies (because that's where drops and other scenery "fly" in from). The fly floor is a platform from which the system of ropes and counterweights responsible for the raising and lowering of scenery are accessed. It's usually located in one wing, well overhead. In the pre-automation days, the flies were operated by hand, by stagehands who were often ex-sailors and accustomed to both heights and ropes. To access the fly rails (the long horizontal poles from which flown scenery is hung), stagehands would use catwalks. The catwalk would be the logical place for a fatal fall to occur, especially if someone has tampered with the safety railing.

The proscenium is essentially the opening through which the audience views a show - the "picture frame" for the show, if you will. If you think of the stage as a box, and take away one side of the box, you've created a proscenium. The playing area downstage of the proscenium is called the apron. (If you are headed downstage, you are moving toward the audience. If you're headed upstage, you're moving away from them. This is because most early stages were raked, meaning that they were built to slope downward toward the audience. This improved sightlines for the audience but was hard on actors since they were essentially playing at a tilt; theatres in the 20th century were typically built with raked audience seating instead.)

Stage left and stage right refer to the actor's left and right when facing the audience; house right and house left refer to the audience's left and right when facing the stage.

In the 1850s (when your story is set), electric lighting did not exist in theatres. Gaslights illuminated the stage, and most of them were positioned in footlights (a horizontal row of lights along the edge of the apron, between the actors and the audience), border lights (a horizontal row of lights mounted overhead between the fly rails), and wing lights (vertical strip lights focused on the stage from the wings). Gaslight was smelly and generated a lot of heat. Limes were forerunners of the modern spotlight; by burning a cylinder of quicklime, a sharp, clear beam of focused light could be created to illuminate an actor's face, a particular part of the set, or even make the illusion of the sun or moon in a scene. (It's where the expression in the limelight comes from.) Limes were typically located in the theatre's balcony, or at the rear of the house.

In theatres where music was needed, a pit was located just in front of the apron, between the stage and the audience. This was a lowered area in which the musicians sat to play. The pit might be surrounded by a low curtained rail to mask the musicians from the audience.

The wings are located off stage right and off stage left. You can certainly refer to them in the singular ("The stagehand stood in the left wing."), and certainly both the right and left wings were used. The crossover is the area between the set and the stage's back wall where an actor or crew person can pass unseen during a show (not every set design provides this option). During the early Victorian era, settings were established by using painted drops rather than the huge, realistic sets you see in contemporary theatre. The wings didn't need to be spacious; therefore the wing area was usually quite narrow, cramped and dark. (Theatres constructed prior to the 1930s are problematic for today's productions; the show I did last year was in one of Broadway's oldest theatres, and wing space was nearly nonexistent. All our massive set pieces had to be "flown" when not actively in use, which meant that if you looked up as you exited into the wings, you had the unnerving experience of seeing a staircase, a king-sized bed, desks, department store display cases and the like dangling above overhead.)

Hope this info helps.

A veritable fountain of knowledge as always, mrsmig. Thank you so much.

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
As high as the theater allows. :)

The last production I worked on, the lighting was 32 feet above the stage, the curtains and backdrops, 24 feet. I've been on lower and I've been on higher, so make it what you need. Or simply don't specify if the height detail isn't required for the story. Just say the guy fell from the lighting grid and broke his neck, wrist, ankle, pelvis, heart, whatever.

Jeff

Wow, 32 ft above stage! That would be a fall!

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Just to let you know, a person doesn't need to fall from a certain height, nor even a high one, in order for a fall to result in death; it depends on whether a person hits their head or not.

I've, sadly, read news of elderly people who slipped on ice on sidewalks, hit their head, and died. I've also read of people falling from the top of their roofs, surviving because they landed on their legs and only injured that part of their body.

Last edited:

konstantineblacke

Registered
Reaction score
Hi. Just to let you know, a person doesn't need to fall from a certain height, nor even a high one, in order for a fall to result in death; I've, sadly, read news of elderly people who slipped on ice on sidewalks, hit their head, and died.

Indeed. It's all about the circumstances.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
In the 1950's a woman fell out of a plane when the door blew open at about 12,000 feet, over Mt Fuji, Japan. She survived. Not in perfect shape, but lived.

My dad met a guy who dropped out of a Army transport plane during parachute training and the chute never opened. At 300 feet he walked away uninjured. Was prophetic, he dropped into Normandy on D-Day from a similar altitude and, again, the chute never opened. Again he walked away uninjured. Didn't hurt that he was the company Chaplain. :)

Falls don't kill, landings do.

Jeff