Learning to celebrate my accomplishments

Status
Not open for further replies.

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
I have a terrible habit of moving the goalposts on myself. Instead of celebrating my accomplishments, I focus on the next goal. And I add a caveat-- yes I did this, but I was lucky, or I had help, or it's no big deal. Well, after reaching so many goals this year, I'm a bumbling mess of anxiety and impostor syndrome. I need to learn to bask in what I've done, not look at what I haven't.

So let's talk about the goals I've reached. In April 2017 I started a new MS (not my first). I had an agent by July, and went on submission in September. It sold to a big 5 imprint for a print deal in March, and am almost finished my first edits on time (and on a tight deadline). Yes, I have a lot of support, and yes, luck had a part to play in all that, but I did that.

I would say more about my book, but the pub hasn't announced the deal yet, which is only adding to the impostor syndrome.

DanielSTJ

The Wandering Bard
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This is AMAZING! Not only did you get an agent, but you sold your piece to a Big-5 imprint.

Be proud. You did good! :)

Maze Runner

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, that's pretty great. Nice to hear a story like that. Bask away!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Great stuff; congratulations!

I'm wired a bit different. I can't celebrate my accomplishments till the project is finished. I take time off and relax (as a form of reward), periodically, so I do not burn out. For me, I'd rather forget the tasks of the multi-phasic process of learning how to write, research, and writing. Instead, I'll wait to celebrate (if and when I sell my first work), and attempt to leave the process out of my periphery.

Last edited:

Siri Kirpal

Swan in Process
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Sat Nam! (Literally "Truth Name"--a Sikh greeting)

That's huge! Definitely worth a celebration. And taking the step to acknowledge it's celebration-worthy is also huge. Good work!

Blessings,

Siri Kirpal

ChibiUsagi

Banned
Reaction score
I have a terrible habit of moving the goalposts on myself. Instead of celebrating my accomplishments, I focus on the next goal. And I add a caveat-- yes I did this, but I was lucky, or I had help, or it's no big deal. Well, after reaching so many goals this year, I'm a bumbling mess of anxiety and impostor syndrome. I need to learn to bask in what I've done, not look at what I haven't.

So let's talk about the goals I've reached. In April 2017 I started a new MS (not my first). I had an agent by July, and went on submission in September. It sold to a big 5 imprint for a print deal in March, and am almost finished my first edits on time (and on a tight deadline). Yes, I have a lot of support, and yes, luck had a part to play in all that, but I did that.

I would say more about my book, but the pub hasn't announced the deal yet, which is only adding to the impostor syndrome.

Be SO proud! This is the dream.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:greenie
b.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
n.gif
a.gif
d.gif
a.gif
n.gif
c.gif
e.gif

n.gif
o.gif
w.gif
space.gif
space.gif
w.gif
i.gif
t.gif
h.gif
space.gif
space.gif
c.gif
o.gif
n.gif
g.gif
r.gif
a.gif
t.gif
u.gif
l.gif
a.gif
t.gif
i.gif
o.gif
n.gif
s.gif

:banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana: :Clap: :banana:

April Swanson

Happy Beeps
Registered
Reaction score
Website
aprilswanson.com
Oh, I absolutely do the same. Why's it so easy to beat ourselves up but so hard to celebrate?

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS! You have achieved something amazing. As for impostor syndrome, I think it affects 99% of successful creatives. It's just one of the fun things we have to deal with. (I haven't dealt with it myself because I've not been successful enough. In fact, I long for the day I have impostor syndrome :tongue)

Congratulations again. You should be very proud of yourself and your accomplishments.

WGough

Registered
Reaction score
Fear of failure :poke: Fear of success. I haven't experienced the latter.

So happy for you. Living the dream!

Status
Not open for further replies.