• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

Travelling for research

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
So in a happy turn of events, my DS and I booked a trip to two cities in Europe that I haven't been to in September. I have never set any of my books anywhere but in my home town, but I thought it might be a fun exercise to set a story in one, or both of these cities. I wouldn't be writing from the POV of someone living there, but rather a traveler, like me. Has anyone ever used traveling as setting research that is willing to give me some tips? Should I have a story in mind before I go, or hope inspiration takes hold while there? Would it be enough to take lots of pictures, or should I squeeze writing time in to capture descriptions of the place while I am there? Thanks in advance for any guidance!

Al X.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.authoralexryan.com
I have never traveled anyplace specifically for the purpose of writing research, but I have incorporated the experience of travelling (of which I do a lot for work) to set scenes in different countries. Personally, I would advise you to just enjoy your time there, and take in the sights and not worry about a story setting. Or writing, unless you are really bored. If you develop a story later, you can probably fill in the blanks well enough with Google Earth and Youtube, if you need.

Regarding pictures, I do like taking them and I actually will occasionally take a shot framed with the idea that I might use it in a cover later. So yeah take lots.

BethS

Registered
Reaction score
Would it be enough to take lots of pictures, or should I squeeze writing time in to capture descriptions of the place while I am there?

I would suggest keeping a journal to record all your impressions. Sights, sounds, smells, tastes, textures. Weather. People. Bits of history and culture. The way the light falls. Look for the small, out of the way things and places. And read up on the cities, either before or after.

autumnleaf

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Keep a travel diary. Doesn't have to be detailed, just impressions of the place, incidents that happen, things people say. I wouldn't bother thinking of a story beforehand. You might well come up with an idea while you are there, or when you re-read your notes.
Hope you have a great trip! :e2steer:

- - - Updated - - -

Or, exactly what BethS said when I was cross-posting!

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks all! A travel diary is a great idea. I'm not normally a journal person, but maybe this would be a great thing to have on my website or use for promotions later if the book goes anywhere.

benbenberi

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Do take lots of pictures of everything, inc. (esp) the ordinary bits & pieces that don't show up in postcards but give each place its own texture -- street furniture, storefronts, doors & windows & hallways & gardens & cafes & the view from your windows. Pics of disposable ephemera -- tickets, receipts, leaflets, etc. The way the street looks in the rain, on a sunny afternoon, at dusk. If there happen to be people in the pics, so much the better!

And a travel journal to capture your immediate impressions & small experiences before they fade. If you find story ideas or vignettes bubbling up, capture those too.

Have a great trip!

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Your smart phone is sufficient for this purpose:

built in camera, notepad, and audio recorder all in one device for photo, text and voice notes

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, try to keep notes on what stuff you photographed, and perhaps why. You can easily identify major monuments and sights, but it's the minor stuff that can become a sea of unlabeled confusion.
My favourite picture taken in England is a weird one. It's a shot from inside one of the big museums, I think the Natural History Museum, because I recall it being near the cases of taxidermied birds. It's not of the exhibits. It's the view outside the window, at the windows on the next wall over. It's like I'm surrounded by knowledge, and seeing how much more there is to know. It's a pretty boring shot of stone walls and grey windows. Could be anywhere. Hard to explain why I have it, enlarged, on my wall at home.

Snitchcat

Dragon-kitty.
Registered
Reaction score
And, try to keep notes on what stuff you photographed, and perhaps why. You can easily identify major monuments and sights, but it's the minor stuff that can become a sea of unlabeled confusion.
My favourite picture taken in England is a weird one. It's a shot from inside one of the big museums, I think the Natural History Museum, because I recall it being near the cases of taxidermied birds. It's not of the exhibits. It's the view outside the window, at the windows on the next wall over. It's like I'm surrounded by knowledge, and seeing how much more there is to know. It's a pretty boring shot of stone walls and grey windows. Could be anywhere. Hard to explain why I have it, enlarged, on my wall at home.

IMO: A memory of a different (wider) world inside compared to the mundane outside? Much like a novel: so much bigger, more vibrant and fascinating than what is seen in the everyday.

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
IMO: A memory of a different (wider) world inside compared to the mundane outside? Much like a novel: so much bigger, more vibrant and fascinating than what is seen in the everyday.

This is so true, and it's why I want to set a story in a place I've been. Google is great to give a basic feel for a place, but I know that immersion in a setting is so much better if the writer has been there.

AverageJane

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theumbrellalife.com
I would take lots of pictures if you want to base a story there (to make things as accurate as possible in the future). I know I'm one of those people who hates reading something that I know is inaccurate. Having traveled extensively and lived in 2 European countries for 6 years, I've been to a lot of places. If I read something that I know doesn't make sense - such as the time it would take to get from Heathrow to Marylebone on the tube, or that St Nicholas church in Prague is next to XYZ monument, when it isn't, it'll be bug me enough that I'll put down the book and walk away. For me I like to be as accurate as possible in describing the streets, are they cobblestone? brick? asphalt? The architecture from London to Germany is very different, which is then also extremely different from parts of Copenhagen. I'm currently basing my story on a small town that isn't far from me. I've been there several times to make sure if I say the time it takes to get from the police station to the post office (exactly one street, it's a very small place!) would be correct. It's just easier (for me) to base my fictional world on a real place so logistically as my characters move around I don't get confused. It's even more important (in my opinion) to be accurate when basing a story in a place that is real.
So I'd take lot of pictures of details like that if you want to write about it later. It'll help lend extra authenticity to your story.
And most importantly, have fun!

Carrie in PA

Write All The Words!
Registered
Reaction score
Take a bazillion pictures. A travel journal is wonderful, but keep it in your hotel room and only write in it at night. Don't spend precious vacation time staring into your notebook instead of actually being present in the place you are in. Be sure to write down sensory things you *don't* see - what does it smell like? What are you hearing? What does the air feel like? Take a few short videos on your phone to help you with details later.

angeliz2k

never mind the shorty
Registered
Reaction score
Commonwealth of Virginia--it's for lovers
Website
www.elizabethhuhn.com
Oh! It's wonderful to get to travel to a place you're going to write about! As others have said, take lots of pictures. Make sure they're tagged with time/location to help you remember what all of them are. And make sure you take pictures of things like street signs and the explanatory text at museums and such. You want to have a really good record of what you saw and did. To that end, I would write it all down as soon as possible after you return home. I actually advise taking lots of pictures but mostly trying to stay in the moment and take in the place and atmosphere. If you're too deep into taking pictures or scribbling notes, you might miss the *atmosphere* and *experience* of the place.

Also, make careful plans so you hit all the places you really, really want to see. Nothing's worse than going all that way and not being able to get to a certain place.

[I've had the pleasure to travel to places I've written about--the Sea Islands, GA; London; Paris; Civil War battlefields--but mostly only *after* I actually wrote about them. I'd already written two novels set in the Sea Islands before I ever went there. I relied on other people's descriptions, Google Earth, my knowledge of the region in general (I grew up in MD and had been to the South plenty, just not to that particular place) and my own imagination.]