Fallout 76

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
Bethesda had a pretty nice E3 night. The highlight of course, apart from that too short Elder Scrolls 6 tease, was the new Fallout coming in November.

Fallout 76 promises to be even huger than previous game. I never got to explore the whole area of Fallout 4 and this one's 16 times bigger.

Oh, and its entirely online. This is a big base-breaking issue. While Bethesda promises it's gonna be like a dozen people all over the map at any given time rather than hundreds, it's a big risk. You can team up with the other vault dwellers or go solo, which of course gives many possibilities. It could work, and add another level of realism to have a real human either working with or against you in the wastes.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Bethesda: It's gonna be four times the size of Fallout 4 and in West Virginia
Me: I'm in
Bethesda: And entirely online!
Me: I'm out

I don't care if there's only a few dozen people around. I don't want them there. I don't want to play solo, I want to play alone, not in a world that's been tinkered with by other people. If it's possible to make a private server that people can only get on with a password for playing with friends, fine. But if I have to play with randos, I'm not gonna do it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, is it possible to say that I'm fully in favor of the game and think it looks great while admitting I'm probably not going to play it? Those monsters look cray-cray though, so who knows how tempted I'll be further down the line.

Really excited about Starfield, as little as we saw of it, at least we now know it exists.

BTW, am I reading this right, NO NPCS? Yeah, fun for people if they like playing online, but not for me.

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
But if I have to play with randos, I'm not gonna do it.

Randos with access to nukes. Yeah ... that's going to end well.

Why are single-player games so few and far between this year?

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
So I did a wee bit more research on this and... so they've stripped out quests and non-enemy NPCs to focus on the Fallout 4 building mechanics which were, frankly, kinda awful? And yeah, other players with nukes. They took out the good parts of Fallout and left in the godawful. Hard, hard pass.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
So I did a wee bit more research on this and... so they've stripped out quests and non-enemy NPCs to focus on the Fallout 4 building mechanics which were, frankly, kinda awful? And yeah, other players with nukes. They took out the good parts of Fallout and left in the godawful. Hard, hard pass.

I'm old enough to remember when RPGs had quests and weren't just FPSs.

I'm like the one person who had fun with the building mechanics in FO4, but that sounds bad. Oh well, the wars of the 21st Century will not be fought on battlefields but rather on MMO servers. I look forward to fun stories of grieving and abuse against certain kinds of gamers, like what's been happening with Conan Exiles lately.

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
They did say Fallout 76 could be played solo, but it's easier with friends... dunno. Will have to wait to see. However, I think it's gonna have normal NPCs and quests.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
They did say Fallout 76 could be played solo, but it's easier with friends... dunno. Will have to wait to see. However, I think it's gonna have normal NPCs and quests.

I dunno, Todd sort of sold it as 'every character in the game is a real person', which indicated to me that the only NPC is gonna be the Overseer (who likely a robot), and quests aren't likely to be more than 'collect 11 swamp lilies and bring them back to the Vault'. But we'll see, if I've gone looking for information on Reddit and the Kinja message boards, then my sources are already questionable.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
I dunno, Todd sort of sold it as 'every character in the game is a real person', which indicated to me that the only NPC is gonna be the Overseer (who likely a robot), and quests aren't likely to be more than 'collect 11 swamp lilies and bring them back to the Vault'. But we'll see, if I've gone looking for information on Reddit and the Kinja message boards, then my sources are already questionable.

This is my take on it too. It makes sense with the story they're going for: Vault 76 is a control vault (not an experiment) and the first vault to open. The people inside are supposed to rebuild the broken world. If they emerged and there's still society around, then it's not as much of a survival game, which they've said it is. And the whole solo thing is you don't have to play DIRECTLY WITH other people, but you still have to play in a WORLD WITH other people, and I don't want that. At all. Online gamer culture is just toxic, and I want none of it.

Last edited:

Kaiser-Kun

!
Registered
Reaction score
And the whole solo thing is you don't have to play DIRECTLY WITH other people, but you still have to play in a WORLD WITH other people, and I don't want that. At all. Online gamer culture is just toxic, and I want none of it.

If it's like that, I'll pass, too. I'm afraid some asshole will build a wall in front of a vault that's part of an important quest, or a tripwire that drops a nuke on a newbie area.

Maggie Maxwell

Registered
Reaction score
Website
A twitter user summarized an interview with Todd Howard re: F76, and this is what came out of it (It looks like it's probably this interview)

- No offline
- Playing 'Solo' will still have you seeing other players
- No NPCs, excluding robots
- PvP is still being tweaked to avoid greifing
- Modding will be present in 76 but not at launch
- Private servers will happen

So there will eventually be privacy for people who want to play in empty worlds or play with mods, but it's gonna be fully empty without non-robot NPCs.

(Tweet here)

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Kind of a worst-case scenario, then. I'd be into a Fallout survival simulator, but even then, you'd have to include some of the RPG elements (other characters, choices). This is stripped down from even that, its just a FPS sandbox where players can lob nukes at each other. And while there are those in the Beth community I'd like to nuke, the better option is to not engage with them.

Status
Not open for further replies.