dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
You'll have noticed our AW chat channel topic has been blank for the past few days, and apparently the nick server wasn't working (but it really was).

I talked to the helpy folks on the #starchat channel who said an upgrade had resulted in some nicknames being lost. Because channels are tied to the founder's nick, they vanished into the morning mist also, I presume.

I had to re-register my nick. Here is how.

To do this, you have to be in IRC, as your chosen nick.

Go to the Console window, don't do this in a shared channel, so that if you accidently typo something no one will see your chosen password.

Enter:

/ns register urpasswd uremailaddy

This will fire an email to your given email address, mine said:

You have requested to register the nickname Derek on StarChat.
Please type " /msg NickServ CONFIRM 18N93zakE " to complete registration.

I completed this already so that one-off secret code is no good to you, you can't be me! As much as you might want to.

(Just saying, previously I would have entered:
/msg nickserv register your@emailaddress password
But the upgrade has resulted in changed IRC commands, it's now the password followed by your email address.)

And that's it. Shout if any problems!

The AW chat channel is re-registered also, business as usual I hope from now on.

-Derek

SaraP

You can't forget those you've loved
Registered
Reaction score
Personally speaking, I had no issues registering my nick the way I used to. What I did have issues with was using the SET GUARD command, which is what made the system prompt you for the password within 30 seconds, then 15 seconds, then change it automatically to something else when you didn't comply. Ultimately, that command was what protected your nick from being used by someone else when you weren't around.

I popped in to #starchat and asked about it, and the one person I talked to was not pleased in the least that command is no longer working. They said they would take it up the chain of command to see about getting it fixed. Stay tuned, I guess!

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
GUARD works for me. I had to re-register a couple weeks ago. My nick was dropped then. No big deal.

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yeah some of these command changes (slightly different flavor of IRC, I guess) have had me scratching my head.

When I looked for help on this (via /msg nickserv help set) I saw: "SET SECURE Turn nickname security on or off" among the listed options.

And when I entered: /msg nickserv set secure on

...IRC told me: Secure option is now on for Derek.

Is that the same thing as the old SET GUARD option? I have no idea. Might be.

-Derek

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Services Upgrade

Ah! GUARD is gone. SECURITY does what GUARD used to do. Setting KILL on set the option called "protection." Preliminary guess.... Security acts as GUARD (gives them time to use another nick). Kill/protection (whether security is on or not), if turned on, is more militant; it should disconnect the user for using the nickname (an automatic "ghost" command from Nickserv). Maybe I am wrong.

KILL does nothing; it is a useless command, from what I can tell.

SET AUTOOP Sets whether services should set channel status modes on you automatically.
SET DISPLAY Set the display of your group in Services
SET EMAIL Associate an E-mail address with your nickname
SET GREET Associate a greet message with your nickname
SET HIDE Hide certain pieces of nickname information
SET KEEPMODES Enable or disable keep modes
SET KILL Turn protection on or off
SET LANGUAGE Set the language Services will use when messaging you
SET MESSAGE Change the communication method of Services
SET PASSWORD Set your nickname password
SET PRIVATE Prevent the nickname from appearing in the LIST command
SET SECURE Turn nickname security on or off
SET URL Associate a URL with your account

Last edited:

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
-Update, 22 Dec 2018-

Seems like a database failed somewhere and all the nick and channel info got reset again.

You'll have to register your nick (see post #1 above).

You won't get an email, oddly enough, but you will see a message saying you have registered your nick.

-Derek

MindfulInquirer

Registered
Reaction score
-Update, 22 Dec 2018-

Seems like a database failed somewhere and all the nick and channel info got reset again.

You'll have to register your nick (see post #1 above).

You won't get an email, oddly enough, but you will see a message saying you have registered your nick.

-Derek

(*"mostly harmless" eh... okay I'll ask him *)
Ahem uhm hello dpaterso. Say what's up with these database messups ? For the past decade that I've been using online forums it seems to be a thing. Is it like the database is;...SENTIENT ??... the way mod/admins describe it, they just arbitrarily fail, where none of the admins can do anything about it. Does the internet website have a ..mind of its own ?!!?!!!!!! :-o

dpaterso

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Yes the internet has achieved sentience and has a mind of its own, but that's not important right now.

The IRC software we use for chatting has nothing to do with AbsoluteWrite or this message board, and the Starchat ops who admin the IRC network have nothing to do with AW either. In IRC chat, we're guests using someone else's free service and we have no control over anything, except for the chat channels we created for our members. The database problem mentioned in this thread happened on that other network, not here!

-Derek