Another question about re-submission etiquette

paqart

Banned
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.paqphoto.com
If you submit and a successful agent contacts you the next day and then within three days has you under contract, that is a good thing. Then the agent sends you copious notes, also good. However, due to inexperience or ignorance, you turn out the changes overnight and FedEx a new manuscript back to the agent a day later. By the time a month has passed from the original submission, you have FedExed three "new" versions of the manuscript and your agent is exhausted. A year later, nothing has happened with the book and you part ways. So, I did that.

It is now twelve years later. In that time I have written three textbooks, a memoir, 5 scientific journal articles, and one monograph. All of these are published. One last thing: I earned a doctoral degree from Kings College London. The point is, things have changed. I have more writing experience now and have a better idea how to work with reviewers.

I have also written or started to write a number of books. Two of these are complete novels, and two others are non-fiction proposals. I have submitted three of these without encouraging results. The fourth, I am just starting to send out today. It is evident that people engaged in any kind of work can improve their skills with practice. Therefore, lack of response at one stage of one's career should not deter further attempts. And this brings me to my question.

As I go through agent bios in a search for the right agents to query, I have run across the agent who actually had me under contract twelve years ago. She still looks like the right agent, though there are others who appear to be just as appropriate or even more so. Do I send to her? Or does the failure of the first book taint all hope of future collaboration? My impression is that I shouldn't. Therefore, I won't submit to this agent unless an agent on this forum sees this and tells me it is not an issue.

AP

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an agent, but I probably wouldn't resubmit to that first agent. Water under the bridge, and all that. Unless the two of you ended your business relationship very amicably.

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
I would say no. But, as Old Hack points out, some of that depends on how the relationship ended. If it was amicable I don't see how a new query would hurt. (I would, if I were to do that, make certain I was clear about my publishing history - i.e. ability to finish and sell/publish things *now*.) If it was strained, I would just move on. (I struggle with the overenthusiastic thing with my agent sometimes. I have to remind myself that really he doesn't need to see every change. So, fist bump on the wanting to make something perfect, and glad to see you have picked up the skill of waiting a few days or weeks before sending the latest and greatest version.)

Best of luck with your queries. :)

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
To be honest, if I were you, I would ask them. In a short, professional email, explain the situation and ask if you can resubmit. If they say no, or don't respond at all, fine, move on to the next, but something attracted them to your work in the first place, so why not? It's possible they are out there regretting the way things happened just like you are. But definitely keep the email short, honest and professional-- you don't want to burn a bridge that hadn't quite gone up in flames yet.