• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Planetology: Plate tectonics may be essential for the development of life

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Life needs more than water alone. Recent discoveries suggest that plate tectonics has played a critical role in nourishing life on Earth. The findings carry major consequences for the search for life elsewhere in the universe.

Quanta Magazine said:
From a distance, it’s not obvious that Earth is full of life. You have to get pretty close to see the biggest forests, and closer still to see the work of humans, let alone microbes. But even from space, the planet itself seems alive. Its landmass is broken apart into seven continents, which are separated by vast waters. Below those oceans, in the unseen depths of our planet, things are even livelier. The Earth is chewing itself up, melting itself down, and making itself anew.

A dozen cold, rigid plates slowly slip and slide atop Earth’s hot inner mantle, diving beneath one another and occasionally colliding. This process of plate tectonics is one of Earth’s defining characteristics. Humans mostly experience it through earthquakes and, more rarely, volcanoes. The lava currently spurting from backyards in Hawaii — a result of a deep-mantle hot spot — is related to tectonic activity.

But there’s more to plate tectonics than earthquakes and eruptions. A wave of new research is increasingly hinting that Earth’s external motions may be vital to its other defining feature: life. That Earth has a moving, morphing outer crust may be the main reason why Earth is so vibrant, and why no other planet can match its abundance.

“Understanding plate tectonics is a major key to understanding our own planet and its habitability. How do you make a habitable planet, and then sustain life on it for billions of years?” said Katharine Huntington, a geologist at the University of Washington. “Plate tectonics is what modulates our atmosphere at the longest timescales. You need that to be able to keep water here, to keep it warm, to keep life chugging along.”

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
I keep thinking I've read something about this a while back, but can't recall where...

Makes a certain kind of sense. Sort of like the planet must be "alive" for anything else to survive.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think (speculating mind you) that it's the whole picture, not just moving plates. The planet needs a dynamo to create a magnetic field to protect the planet from radiation. A molten core results in a tectonic plated surface.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
A molten core results in a tectonic plated surface.

No, it doesn't, not by itself. You also need a thin, brittle crust, which is what Earth has. And, for a significant magnetic field, a rapid enough planetary rotation to generate the dynamo effect generating the field. Venus almost certainly has a molten core, but no evidence of plate tectonics, probably due to its crustal zone being too thick. And Venus rotates far too slowly to generate a magnetic field. Mars rotates fast enough, but has a very weak magnetic field because its core appears to have cooled and solidified long ago. And it also has a thick crustal zone and no evidence of significant crustal plate development.

I am, by trade, a geologist, and teach geology at the local university in my spare time when I'm not entertaining my cats.

caw

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, it doesn't, not by itself. You also need a thin, brittle crust, which is what Earth has. And, for a significant magnetic field, a rapid enough planetary rotation to generate the dynamo effect generating the field. Venus almost certainly has a molten core, but no evidence of plate tectonics, probably due to its crustal zone being too thick. And Venus rotates far too slowly to generate a magnetic field. Mars rotates fast enough, but has a very weak magnetic field because its core appears to have cooled and solidified long ago. And it also has a thick crustal zone and no evidence of significant crustal plate development.

I am, by trade, a geologist, and teach geology at the local university in my spare time when I'm not entertaining my cats.

caw

I defer to your superior knowledge, but isn't Venus an exception in that the entire crust turned over a few hundred million years ago?

I'll have to get back to this, always happy to learn new things.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
Earth also has a much larger iron core than the other planets, apparently owing to a collision with another planet which resulted in the Earth having an extra helping of shared iron core and the Moon having a lot of the lightweight crustal elements of both planets which splashed off.

I don’t know how significant that is (and I am no geologist, for sure!), but it does seem to mean we have an unusually strong magnetic field for our size, so far as anyone knows.

GeoWriter

Registered
Reaction score
I think that the effects of plate tectonics on life on earth are fairly speculative, if interesting. Certainly the long-term cycling of water and carbon through subduction and eruption have played a part in the Earth's life history. But I think we have little understanding of how other types of tectonics, such as existed on Mars and Venus for example, may have influenced elemental cycles. Plate tectonics is only one kind of tectonics, and one way that large scale cycling might occur on a planet. Since we have found plate tectonics only on Earth, it's easy to correlate the only planet with life with the only planet with plate tectonics and think that there might be a causative relationship (and maybe there is). But that thinking is based on a statistic of one data point which provides little constraints on how life and tectonics might work on other worlds.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
OK, so I see the turnover of the crustal plates is also involved, recycling the carbon, not just the magnetic field. I sit corrected. :D

This is from 2009: Astrobiology Magazine: PLATE TECTONICS COULD BE ESSENTIAL FOR LIFE
It is an idea growing in popularity among planetary scientists. Says Spohn, “plate tectonics replenishes the nutrition that primitive life could live on. Imagine a top surface that is depleted of the nutrition needed for bacterial life. It needs to be replenished, and plate tectonics is a method of achieving this.”
That's especially interesting given the top layer of Gale Crater is devoid of the organic molecules they are finding further down.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It probably wasn't the Venusian crust that turned over, but instead an immense evulsion of magma from the Venusian mantle.

caw
Not sure I understand the difference. It's my understanding the surface cratering suggests the entire surface is the same age and not that old.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure I understand the difference. It's my understanding the surface cratering suggests the entire surface is the same age and not that old.

That's because it seems to have been entirely resurfaced by a planetary-wide evulsion of magma several hundred million years ago. That stuff would have come from deep within the Venusian mantle. Earth (thank Bokonon) has never experienced that kind of planetary event, but we have had a number of "smaller" magmatic events, notably the Siberian Traps eruption about 250 million years ago that wiped out 90-95% of the living biota on the planet. That stuff doesn't come from the crust, but from much deeper. It is what is happenng right now in Hawaii. The Kilauea eruption is drawing on sub-crustal magmatic material, stuff that is melted well below the brittle crustal zone.

You need to take my Physical Geology class. Meets Tuesday night, 6-10 PM, and Friday afternoons, 1:30-5:30 PM. There will be a mid-term exam next week. I can send you an electronic copy.

caw

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's because it seems to have been entirely resurfaced by a planetary-wide evulsion of magma several hundred million years ago.
I know that. That was my point.

....You need to take my Physical Geology class. Meets Tuesday night, 6-10 PM, and Friday afternoons, 1:30-5:30 PM. There will be a mid-term exam next week. I can send you an electronic copy.

caw
Sounds like fun. Not enough time in my life at the moment.