Hypenate these words?

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score
Hey. I'll include two sentences for some context, but what I really want to know is if highly favored should be hyphenated.

So is it:

How you traveled in the Navy was a clue to the regard the big brass had for you. The highly-favored shuttled around in lightning fast, luxurious Navy jets.

or

How you traveled in the Navy was a clue to the regard the big brass had for you. The highly favored shuttled around in lightning fast, luxurious Navy jets.

I think it should be hyphenated because otherwise it's confusing as it's like an adverb (highly) modifying an adjective (favored). Hyphenating them seems to link them and make them a noun.

Thanks.

lolly334

Registered
Reaction score
No hyphen. Your instincts are good, but adverbs ending in "ly" are not hyphenated in compounds like this.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Hey. I'll include two sentences for some context, but what I really want to know is if highly favored should be hyphenated. [/COLOR]

So is it:

How you traveled in the Navy was a clue to the regard the big brass had for you. The highly-favored shuttled around in lightning fast, luxurious Navy jets.

or

How you traveled in the Navy was a clue to the regard the big brass had for you. The highly favored shuttled around in lightning fast, luxurious Navy jets.

I think it should be hyphenated because otherwise it's confusing as it's like an adverb (highly) modifying an adjective (favored). Hyphenating them seems to link them and make them a noun.

Thanks.
Never hyphen a word that ends in ly https://www.merriam-webster.com/words-at-play/6-common-hypercorrections-and-how-to-avoid-them/hyphenating-ly-adverbs Scroll down.

Last edited:

Fallen

Stood at the coalface
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jacklpyke.com
Willy-nilly. :D

Ohhhkay, lol. Never hyphenate -ly unless otherwise stated by your preferred dictionary. :tongue Some are special and do get hyphenated. Most don't. If in doubt, check it out. If it's listed, don't miss it.

be frank

not a bloke, not named frank
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lanifrank.com
Ohhhkay, lol. Never hyphenate -ly unless otherwise stated by your preferred dictionary. :tongue Some are special and do get hyphenated. Most don't. If in doubt, check it out. If it's listed, don't miss it.

My point is to be wary of blanket statements that include qualifiers like "never" or "always" or "never except for in these very specific circumstances" a la i after e except after c ... but also if your feisty foreign atheist neighbour Keith receives eight counterfeit sleighs.

That is, "Never use hyphens after -ly words" isn't actually always true. (But my previous post used fewer words to say it).

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
It's risky to say "never" about just about anything to do with the English language, because as languages go, English is somewhat . . . disorganized. And cranky.

Gregg Bell

Registered
Reaction score

Thanks Cindy. I looked at the Merriam-webster but they're talking about adverbs in front of adjectives in front of a noun. I'm talking about an adverb in front of an adjective. Unless it's the sort of thing like:

favored=favored ones (the 'ones' being implied).

P.S. Love the 'ammunition' line in your sig. I'm adopting it for myself.

Cindyt

Gettin wiggy wit it
Registered
Reaction score
Website
growingupwolf.blogspot.com
Thanks Cindy. I looked at the Merriam-webster but they're talking about adverbs in front of adjectives in front of a noun. I'm talking about an adverb in front of an adjective. Unless it's the sort of thing like:

favored=favored ones (the 'ones' being implied).

P.S. Love the 'ammunition' line in your sig. I'm adopting it for myself.
You're welcome. Adapt adopt away. Love your blog layout!

Last edited: