Young adult SciFi recommendations?

indianroads

Wherever I go, there I am.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
We just had our two daughters + their husbands and kids stay at our house for the last few days. It was great to see everyone, but I'm exhausted.

My oldest grandchild is a 7 year old boy, and I'd like to get him started out reading... any recommendations?

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Seven is a bit young for YA... especially if he's a beginning reader. There are some very imaginative science and SF picture books out there that might help get him started.

Is he too young for short stories, even with someone reading with him? Bruce Coville put together some good themed collections, including newer and classic tales, that might make a good gateway into longer tales.

ETA - As others mention, reading level matters a lot here, but you might also look at Terry Pratchett. His Bromeliad trilogy might appeal to younger kids. The Johnny Maxwell books might be a little intense, but are MG.

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
It depends what reading level the 7 year old is at. My boys really enjoyed the Artemis Fowl books by Eoin Colfer between 7 and 10 (heck, they still refuse to get rid of them and they're in their 20's!). Or there's the Deltora Quest books by Emily Rodda.

Oh, wait, you said sci-fi. :e2smack:

What about the Doona books by Anne McCaffrey (with Jody Lynn Nye for the second and third)? (Decision at Doona, Crisis on Doona, Treaty Planet (also called Treaty on Doona)) They're not specifically YA but they're a good read with plenty of adventure, and there is an engaging young boy (Todd) who is a very important character.

I'm sorry, I'm not much help, am I?

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Seven seems like a good age to start reading at the middle grade level. That would definitely skew more age appropriate in terms of length, language, and, most importantly, content. Lots of fantasy and science fiction at that level as well. Here's a quick list of possible candidates, though of course, you could start with older classics like Roald Dahl and Charlie & The Chocolate Factory, or newer, modern classics, like the Harry Potter series.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Seconding what a few others are saying that YA is a tad old for seven (but I work at a children's bookstore, so I'm pretty much trained to say that. YMMV)

Tony Abbott's Copernicus Legacy series

Mark Walden's Hive series

Kevin Emerson's Last Days on Mars

Adam Rex's True Meaning of Smekday (an absolute favorite of mine)

William Alexander's Ambassador

Peter Brown's The Wild Robot

Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me

Jeanne DuPrau's City of Ember

Stuart Gibb's Moonbase Alpha Series

And so on. Sorry to list so many, it's hard for me not to. And I'm skewing older with these, I assume that's fine.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Seconding what a few others are saying that YA is a tad old for seven (but I work at a children's bookstore, so I'm pretty much trained to say that. YMMV)

Tony Abbott's Copernicus Legacy series

Mark Walden's Hive series

Kevin Emerson's Last Days on Mars

Adam Rex's True Meaning of Smekday (an absolute favorite of mine)

William Alexander's Ambassador

Peter Brown's The Wild Robot

Rebecca Stead's When You Reach Me

Jeanne DuPrau's City of Ember

Stuart Gibb's Moonbase Alpha Series

And so on. Sorry to list so many, it's hard for me not to. And I'm skewing older with these, I assume that's fine.

Not sure Peter Brown's Wild Robot counts as older - the sequel just came out. (Great book, BTW - reminds me a bit of a junior version of Clifford D. Simak's City. The first, at least; haven't got the second yet.)

Stead's WYRM might be better left for for a non-beginner. Also might be better if they read A Wrinkle in Time first, as that book includes some pretty decent spoilers. (It's also a somewhat advanced concept if someone isn't used to genre thinking.)

Also wondering if the OP has considered comics or graphic novels, another good entry point for the genre.

I'll also throw a random vote out for the classic Choose-Your-Own-Adventure titles, some of which had SF themes. Just a danged fun series with added interactivity.

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I think that'd be the best one to start with for that young. :)

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Maybe I’m getting too ambitious with him. I was reading Heinlein at his age. I’ll give graphic novels a look. Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Maybe I’m getting too ambitious with him. I was reading Heinlein at his age. I’ll give graphic novels a look. Many thanks to everyone for their suggestions!

The thing is, some of the older SF reads a little dated - it may not appeal in the same way to newer generations, even if the ideas remain imaginative and compelling, and hooking a beginner into the genre might require something that appeals more to modern tastes. For instance, Andre Norton wrote some very imaginative tales, but reading them now, the style feels a bit stiff and the characters a little stereotyped. Doesn't mean they're bad, of course, and many elements would likely entertain even today, but expectations and tastes aren't the same these days, and younger readers are more likely to pick up on stuff that was glossed over or just not seen Back In The Day (some of the racism and sexism and such.) It might take developing a taste for the genre first to get him to look past such things (or understand that things were "different" then), to let him enjoy the classics. JMHO, of course.

On the graphic novel front, IIRC there are some GN adaptations of classics that might be worth a look, maybe as a way to get him interested in stories whose style or density might not initially appeal to him. (Then it's "if you liked that, read this..." your way into spreading the SF bug to a new generation.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
My oldest grandchild is a 7 year old boy, and I'd like to get him started out reading... any recommendations?

Since he's starting out reading, I would stick to characters he can most identify with--those who are of similar age to him. Reading about teen characters right off the bat, might not appeal to him as much as reading about kids like him in similar situations. You don't want to scare him away from reading by giving him something with a focus on a different type of audience than him. Middle grade is considered to be for 8-12-year-olds and has different reading levels within it (low MG vs. upper MG), so you can try things out until you find what is right for his reading level now.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
The thing is, some of the older SF reads a little dated - it may not appeal in the same way to newer generations, even if the ideas remain imaginative and compelling, and hooking a beginner into the genre might require something that appeals more to modern tastes. For instance, Andre Norton wrote some very imaginative tales, but reading them now, the style feels a bit stiff and the characters a little stereotyped. Doesn't mean they're bad, of course, and many elements would likely entertain even today, but expectations and tastes aren't the same these days, and younger readers are more likely to pick up on stuff that was glossed over or just not seen Back In The Day (some of the racism and sexism and such.) It might take developing a taste for the genre first to get him to look past such things (or understand that things were "different" then), to let him enjoy the classics. JMHO, of course.

On the graphic novel front, IIRC there are some GN adaptations of classics that might be worth a look, maybe as a way to get him interested in stories whose style or density might not initially appeal to him. (Then it's "if you liked that, read this..." your way into spreading the SF bug to a new generation.)

Thank you very much for the suggestions. I've explored Amazon and found some graphic novels are available for 9-12 boys. I just sent a text to my daughter to be sure he has access to a kindle - I'm pretty sure he does, but wanted to check. My two grand daughters are only 5 years old, so I'll probably be asking a similar question for them in a couple of years.

Brightdreamer

Registered
Reaction score
Website
My two grand daughters are only 5 years old, so I'll probably be asking a similar question for them in a couple of years.

Why wait? As I mentioned, there are some decent picture books that could rope them in from the get-go, for SF and science in general.

(But, then, I was indoctrinated at an early age - Dad used to sing us the filk tune "In the Future When the Towns were Caves of Steel" when my sibling and I were young. He also sang the odd Spike Jones tune. Normal never stood a chance, really...)

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Why wait? As I mentioned, there are some decent picture books that could rope them in from the get-go, for SF and science in general.

(But, then, I was indoctrinated at an early age - Dad used to sing us the filk tune "In the Future When the Towns were Caves of Steel" when my sibling and I were young. He also sang the odd Spike Jones tune. Normal never stood a chance, really...)

I'll definitely look into that - still waiting for an answer from daughter #1 about the kindle... my grandkids are ALL into electronic devices, so that would capture their attention faster than a regular book.

I think environment plays a big role in how early and enthusiastically a child takes to reading. Daughter #1 is very structure orientated and would help her son and daughter with their reading, but daughter #2, not so much. How do two kids raised in the same environment turn out SO different?? Rhetorical question of course; it's the age old issue of nature vs nurture. The answer is always 42.

Shoeless

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the suggestions. I've explored Amazon and found some graphic novels are available for 9-12 boys. I just sent a text to my daughter to be sure he has access to a kindle - I'm pretty sure he does, but wanted to check. My two grand daughters are only 5 years old, so I'll probably be asking a similar question for them in a couple of years.

If you're considering graphic novels, and you want to read them digitally, then either get a tablet with Kindle reading software installed, or get Amazon Fire tablet. Graphic novels in full color don't translate at all on standard e-ink, monochrome Kindle devices. Black and white comics, like a lot of Japanese manga, are just fine, but since the popular Kindle models are designed for easy reading of text, they don't have color options, so you lose a bit of the "oomph" on comics if you attempt to read them that way. I use my Kindle for all my novel reading, and it works fantastic for that, but when it comes to digital comics, I use an Android tablet, so I can still retain the color.

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
If you're considering graphic novels, and you want to read them digitally, then either get a tablet with Kindle reading software installed, or get Amazon Fire tablet. Graphic novels in full color don't translate at all on standard e-ink, monochrome Kindle devices. Black and white comics, like a lot of Japanese manga, are just fine, but since the popular Kindle models are designed for easy reading of text, they don't have color options, so you lose a bit of the "oomph" on comics if you attempt to read them that way. I use my Kindle for all my novel reading, and it works fantastic for that, but when it comes to digital comics, I use an Android tablet, so I can still retain the color.

Good input, thanks.

llawrence

Registered
Reaction score
A real oldie (but still surprisingly good--the Suck Fairy mostly left it alone) is The Wonderful Flight to the Mushroom Planet. I'm having a hard time thinking of more recent early middle grade science fiction titles.
Thanks for mentioning this one. I'd been trying to remember the names of those books, I loved them when I was a tyke!

Dave Williams

Zappa isn't frank!
Registered
Reaction score
At the age of 7 I read Andre Norton's "Galactic Derelict."

Fifty years later, I still have a copy on the shelf.

A lot of adults get hung up on "age appropriate". The big factor is vocabulary, and whether you're willing to answer questions about words the kid doesn't know. Yeah, they'll miss a lot of stuff because they don't have all the words or the concepts behind them, but if it's a good story they'll charge on through anyway.

Ya gotta stretch it. Otherwise, the poor kid is going to be stuck at "See Spot Run" forever.

QuixoticQuill

Registered
Reaction score
If you don’t mind a little fantasy there’s the Hobbit. He’s also at a good age for Harry Potter one. There’s a sci-fi ish books called Incarceron and the sequel is Saphique. It’s by Catherine Fisher. They are about a prison where everything is metal. Has some good twists. I also highly recommend Sea of Trolls by Nancy Farmer. Alcatraz vs the Evil Librarians should be good. I have only read Brandon Sanderson’s grown up books but they are wonderful. Then in a couple years he might be ready for Ursula K leGuin’s Wizard of Earthsea. Oh! And the Series of Unfortunate Events.

Sorry these are mostly fantasy. :shrug: Good luck and have fun!

indianroads

Registered
Reaction score
Website
indianroads.net
Actually my wife reminded me that I've given the complete works of Laura Ingalls Wilder to both of my daughters. This was the first 'series' books I read when I was about 8 or 9, and I read all these to my daughters when they were little.

MonsterTamer

Registered
Reaction score
My kids have all loved Ender's Game and Ender's Shadow ​by OSC.

Marissa D

Scribe of the girls in the basement
Registered
Reaction score
New England but hankering for the old one
Website
www.marissadoyle.com
A lot of adults get hung up on "age appropriate". The big factor is vocabulary, and whether you're willing to answer questions about words the kid doesn't know. Yeah, they'll miss a lot of stuff because they don't have all the words or the concepts behind them, but if it's a good story they'll charge on through anyway.

Ya gotta stretch it. Otherwise, the poor kid is going to be stuck at "See Spot Run" forever.

I have to disagree here. The big factor isn't vocabulary--it's tone and theme and core story. YA books have very different themes at heart from children's/middle grade books, and in a lot of cases just won't be interesting (or sometimes understandable) to a younger reader.