Editor At University Literary Magazine Left

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I suggest you contact the University ASAP. There are very few lit mags run out of universities that are not student run periodicals. Is this a magazine/publication that you've actually seen?

Does it have it's own Website?

The more you post, the more odd it sounds. Please contact Victoria Strauss and Writer Beware; they are absolutely trustworthy and understand the necessity of keeping things confidential.

Yes. I've already contacted the university and Victoria Strauss. The university immediately sent an automated message, saying that their offices were closed for Thanksgiving.

Yes. Before I submitted my work last year, I saw that the editor had published around 13 anthologies on Amazon, digitally, going back over a decade, published with the university's journal name. (And some people who bought the online editions did review them and said that they enjoyed reading the authors' work, getting to read work from a variety of international writers.) On the journal's Facebook page, previous authors who'd been published by the literary journal left comments thanking the editor for their contributor's copies and for being selected, again, that year.

I also found an old page on the university's site that explained that they also printed out physical copies where students and locals could pick up the journal, once it was printed, and that it was published by its students and the editor. So, I thought it was going to be legitimate and punctual because I didn't come across any negative problems or complaints from others who had been published, only positive praise.

Apparently, the publication used to have its own website, but for over a year, it has only had just one main page that has claimed they're "temporarily down while in the process of upgrading our site" and to "Please check back at a later date." But they haven't updated anything for over a year. There's also a Facebook page for the journal that hasn't been updated since January 2018, when the editor last updated it. But the editor already told me the journal has closed down.

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
But, I'm worried the editor might try to sue me or something like that, for libel or whatever else excuse and blame he might try to come up with, next, etc. if I try to contact his new workplace and mention what he's said to me, what he's trying to do, etc.)
Don't contact his new workplace. Contacting his old university should be sufficient. If he's dragging their good name through the mud, they'll do any contacting necessary.
Concentrate on what you want - to get the rights to your material back. You are merely contacting the first uni, so that they will be made aware that work collected under their name is being sold on.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I was correct that the university wouldn't be able to help. The editor's former university told me that they can't help, that it's between me and him because he's no longer an employee, there (and that they don't believe he has the right to publish my work if I want to withdraw it, as the university's literary magazine no longer exists.)

Still, I imagine it might've been helpful if they contacted him to let him know that he doesn't have the rights to the work from when he was employed, there.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I think it would be more accurate to say they won't help than that they aren't able to. Universities have lawyers that could easily whip up a letter to the effect that you describe.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'll see how this goes: the editor finally agreed to withdraw my work, but will list it as "withdrawn after acceptance" (because, according to him, since he'd publicly announced it'd be published in 2017, that counts as having been published.)

I'm kind of worried about that, though, whether it might make other professionals in the industry (i.e., literary magazine publishers, editors, agents, etc.) think I'd done something unprofessional and wrong by withdrawing my work (because I've read magazine editors say that they don't like it when writers do that and blacklist them), when, because the editor hadn't written to me or anyone else in months and moved, I'd thought the journal had been abandoned and cancelled. Wouldn't that also mean that other literary magazines wouldn't want to publish my piece if it's listed as "withdrawn after acceptance"? I thought, since the editor had only listed the title (as going to be published), that that wouldn't count as it being published.

Last edited:

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I really don't think you need to worry about that. Very few people will even notice, and those that do aren't going to put much weight in the opinion of some indie editor who burned some bridges along the way.

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
This editor is so full of shit. No, listing the title doesn't count as the work being published. He's trying to spook you.

My bet is that this fool isn't ever going to publish the anthology, and even if he does, putting your story's title into the table of contents simply to list it as "withdrawn after acceptance" says more about the editor's amateurish and vindictive behavior than it does about you as an author.

He can't hurt you and he's not publishing your story. Put as much distance between him and his delusional behavior as possible. And congratulations for being rid of him.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly, I've read and listened to interviews where agents and literary magazine editors complained about young writers being unprofessional in their dealings with them (including withdrawing their work after acceptance), so I'm worried about being placed in that category, too, since some say that they talk to each other about writers who are unprofessional, to warn each other. So, to me, it seemed as though an older editor's word would be more likely to be believed as being the more truthful, professional one, rather than a younger writer.

Last edited:

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
I'm kind of bothered by the fact that the editor still seems to feel that I was wrong to submit my work elsewhere and not continue to wait to hear from him for almost an entire year. He said he was just trying to do the defunct university journal a favor by publishing the work, elsewhere.

Last edited:

eqb

I write novels
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.claireodell.com
I'm kind of bothered by the fact that the editor still seems to feel that I was wrong to submit my work elsewhere and not continue to wait to hear from him for almost an entire year. He said he was just trying to do the defunct university journal a favor by publishing the work, elsewhere.

He's trying to manipulate you emotionally. I totally understand why it bothers you, but don't worry about what he thinks. veinglory is absolutely right.

Years and years ago, I had a story accepted by a zine--tiny circulation but edited by someone who had a decent reputation in the genre. The publication date came and went. And went. and went. The editor did respond to emails, but after two years and the fifth or sixth response of "maybe next year", I withdrew the story. Oh. My. God. The drama in her reply to me. I was being unprofessional. I would be blacklisted. Etc.

What really happened was that I sold the story elsewhere, it got published, and my career is just fine.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I'd also lay odds you're not the first person who's tripped over this particular editor's unprofessional behavior. If this incident reflects badly on anyone, it'll be him, not you.

novicewriter

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, wow. Two years?

Thanks for mentioning what happened to you and that your career wasn't ruined due to that incident. I feel a bit better.

A couple of weeks ago, I was so shaken by this, that I was worrying about whether editors at traditional publishing houses might be similar, too (and that that's why having a literary agent is important: for incidences like this), especially after listening to a podcast by a literary agent who said that they've had to repeatedly send emails reminding publishers that they should've sent their clients' royalty earnings when they were contractually supposed to.

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
I once had to pull a book from a ostensibly reputable editor because they didn't contractions (it's, can't etc) anywhere at all in the book's text as a matter of style (no exceptions). There were no negative consequences. These things happen.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Some say that they talk to each other about writers who are unprofessional, to warn each other. So, to me, it seemed as though an older editor's word would be more likely to be believed as being the more truthful, professional one, rather than a younger writer.
I'd bet they're equally likely to talk about editors who are unprofessional, as well. Both to warn each other, and to mock that editor.
An 'older editor' can also be one who's had time to get a bad reputation and make enemies. I doubt they'd believe that this person is putting out the anthology as a 'favour' to an ex-employer.
And, if this editor is stupid enough to actually put 'Withdrawn after acceptance' beside your title, bet it makes people who know them wonder what they screwed up to make you withdraw.

Remember, you are a novice writer, you can be taught. That editor has had years of experience. If all he's learned is to be a jerk, well, people notice these things.

And, if merely listing a title makes a book published
a) change the title
b) I'M A PUBLISHED WRITER!! My first book will be a collection of short stories, titled 'Three Bears'. My second is a tale of craftsmanship and camaraderie title 'Seven Dwarves Went Down the Road'. If it were really that easy to call oneself 'published', everyone would be announcing titles and skipping the actual work.