When to switch modes?

KayMitch

Registered
Reaction score
So i've heard/read/seen generally that with a manuscript you should try for the biggest first and then go smaller. What I mean by that is first try to get an agent because the agents are the only ones who can reach the bigger publishing houses, and then if that doesn't pan out start submitting to smaller publishers who do take unsolicited material without an agent.

My question is when do you know it's time to make that switch? A certain number of rejections? A certain length of time? It's all subjective and personal opinion? I'm just curious. I am nowhere near ready to give up on agents, but I like to have some semblance of a plan for the future.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I gave myself a time limit for querying agents. Another method - probably a better one, frankly - is to have a prioritized list of agents and not submit to publishers directly until you get to the bottom of that list.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So i've heard/read/seen generally that with a manuscript you should try for the biggest first and then go smaller.

Then change modes now. Go for the BEST, regardless of size. And remember that "best" is what's best for you and your goals, not what's best according to the latest Facebook post, Guardian article or "Dancing With The Publishers" show on some unnamed TV channel that cancelled Lucifer

Jeff