New Marvel Series Starts Tonight (Cloak & Dagger)

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Anyone going to give this one a shot?

"Freeform's first Marvel series focuses on two teens (Olivia Holt, Aubrey Joseph) who are linked by newfound superpowers. Tonight's premiere runs two hours."

Network: Freeform
TV Series: Marvel's Cloak & Dagger
Premiere date: 6/7/18

There will be episodes one and two tonight. In Colorado, episode one airs from 6-7pm. Episode two from 7pm-8pm. Check your local listings.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
thanx for reminding me. i wanted to check this one out. never read the cloak and dagger comic series....but am somewhat familiar with them.

(on a side note: Humans started their new season on Tuesday the 5th.)

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Don’t know if I’ll be able to watch it tonight, but it’s on my (limited) recording list.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Not a big comic show fan (except for Luke Cage), but I know this has been a labor of love for the writers, and they really, really, really want to make it stand out as something special. So I am curious.

telford

We learn by doing
Registered
Reaction score
Saw the first episode. Not bad, not great. It has potential so I'll see how it goes.

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
I think the show is awesome. I was an avid comic book reader in the 80s, and Cloak & Dagger were my favorite super-heroes along with Spider-Man, Daredevil and Dr. Strange. Never in a million years I thought I'd be seeing all my favorite characters finally appearing on TV and movies. And especially not Cloak & Dagger, since they were not the most important characters for the Marvel Universe.

There are some bad special effects, and sometimes cumbersome acting, but it's overall a great show. Warning: It's rated TV-14, and there's drugs and attempted rape.

For comparison, my wife and I also like to watch "Designated Survivor," which is a show similar to "Homeland." Both "Designated Survivor" and "Homeland" are aimed at adult audiences (I think, although sometimes I have my doubts), while "Cloak & Dagger" is more Young Adult. And yet, "Cloak & Dagger" has more depth and better execution, while the other two shows often have incredibly cheesy and unbelievable plot lines. "Cloak & Dagger," in spite of the super-powers, feels real and down-to-earth.

Note: I tried watching it on FreeForm, but the app sucks. Hulu is better.

Last edited:

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
I saw the first episode, and honest, I'm not in to it. The female MC seems to be a person I would have trouble liking. I do have sympathy for what she's been through, but it seems like she has issues where lying and stealing are her two go to self defense strategies. If she were to change and grow as the story takes place, maybe I'd give it a second look. Now, I just know too many people IRL like that to believe she stands much of a chance at changing.

chracatoa

COG: Sometimes, Heaven is Overrated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Near Puget Sound, in the beautiful Pacific Northwe
Yeah, I expect a lot of character growth. She's not a likeable character now, but we can see glimpses of what she wants to be. Also, if you compare the main characters with their selves before the "incident," it's like their lives were swapped. I don't want to spoil anything, so I'll stop talking about it.

There are people IRL like that that change, but it takes years, sometimes decades, for that to happen. But this is a TV show, so...

Laer Carroll

Aerospace engineer turned writer
Registered
Temp Ban
Reaction score
Website
LaerCarroll.com
Saw the first episode. The two main characters don't appeal to me much, so I don't know how much more I will watch. I will say that the actors are very good. It's the characters who don't appeal to me, not their performances.

The filming, editing, writing are top notch, and the world presented feels real.

TWO WEEKS LATER

I struggled through to the fifth episode, feeling that such a well-done show really MUST get better. But the people and the situations got to be so irritating and boring that I just had to delete C&D from my Amazon Watchlist.

Last edited: