• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Seeking Beta - YA Horror set in 1962

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
Hey all! I'm looking for someone willing to read my first 2 chapters of my novel. It's American Werewolf in London meets American Graffiti and has an LGBT subplot.

I'm looking for someone to give real honest and strong feedback, even if it hurts. I also am in desperate need of someone who can point out my grammar errors.

My mentor took a look at the chapters and his thoughts on the reason for the constant rejection are two things: "a number of small errors in grammar and syntax that make it seem less polished and evocative than it actually is." and "the bigger issue" pacing.

Admittedly, my 1st chapter is very long compared to the 2nd. Also I have a bit of trouble when self editing or reading my MS out loud because I can't see the errors. I had to read my mentor's notes a few times to see the differences between my sentences and the ones he corrected.

Thank you!

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
Oh? Can you give me an approximate word count? It sounds like it might be something I'd enjoy and I know what you mean about self editing. I catch most grammatical errors but I admit commas are my bane.

Would you like something where you'd receive notes separate from the document or something with comments?

Nuwanda

Registered
Reaction score
Website
abigailftaylor.wordpress.com
Thanks for the quick reply! The first chapter is over 12k...where as chapter two is intentionally short and under 2k. I don't think any of my other chapters are as long as the first.

It doesn't matter much how the notes are recieved as long as I get some kind of feedback. So what's ever easiest for you is good for me!

Status
Not open for further replies.