• Read this stickie before posting.

• In order to reduce the number of new members requesting a Beta reader before they're really ready for one, we've instituted a 50 post requirement before you can start a thread seeking a Beta reader.
    • You can still volunteer to Beta for someone else; just please don't request someone to Beta for you until you're more familiar with the community and our members.

Sci-fi/Fantasy Internet Writing Group (Discord)

Status
Not open for further replies.

folclor

Left-Handed Writing Fairy
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.angrypossumpublishing.xyz
This is an edited post!

I've decided to change the original plan and am now heading a group on Discord! Anyone interested in helping one another in writing and fixing their own stuff is welcome to join. This is mostly focused on Sci-fi/Fantasy, but if there are enough authors with other desires joining I will actually make different sections for different genres. Please follow the link to join! https://discord.gg/yqe2Ku6

I will say, please act as if you're on AW while you're there, pretend it's the same rules. I don't want to play enforcer and this is just supposed to be something fun and helpful between authors.

Last edited:

Plisley

Registered
Reaction score
Hi!

I’ve been on the hunt for a writing group or buddy and wouldn’t mind seeing if we click. I too am struggling to finish my work and the setup you described sounds similar to what I’m looking for.

I write Sci-Fi and Fantasy, mostly in the form of varying degrees of the Xenofiction subgenre (that was a mouthful). I also tend to skew into erotic territory on occasion but if you’re not comfortable with that, I have no problem leaving it out of discussions.

folclor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, I'm definitely comfortable with that in fiction. I think we should see if this would work ^^ Would you like to exchange samples or just chat to see if it would work?

Plisley

Registered
Reaction score
We can start off with chatting (I honestly wouldn’t know what to send sample wise, everything’s a mess at the moment.)

You mentioned possibly using Discord. I’m not too familiar with it but have heard good things about it and wouldn’t mind using it.

rachel0d

Registered
Reaction score
I'd love to help- I'm starting over from scratch on my novel and only have three paragraphs down. If you still have room PM and i'll send you my discord# !

BagfootBandit

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be happy to exchange! My writing background is more in historical fantasy and supernatural horror, but I'm always down to read fantasy. I've also been looking for people to bounce ideas off of. I'm not quite in the same situation as you. My current project is 5 years in the making and almost finished...at 37,000 words. So more of a novella. The people who have read it I can count on one hand though, so I'm looking for beta readers (but I also don't want to just foist my work off on someone, it should be a mutual exchange).
My story, Godslayers, is a supernatural horror with historical fantasy elements set in Colorado at the turn of the millenium, with trips back to certain important events in the 20th century. If that sounds interesting to you, great! If not, I'd still be happy to shoot the breeze.

If all else fails we can talk games. I'm a gamer as well :p

Ezakima

Registered
Reaction score
Adding my name to the goblet, too, if anyone is interested. I'm guessing this is a critique-group type of setup. I'm working on finishing my novel right now, but I should be finished in a month or two. In the mean time, I can exchange pieces of it for feedback and also give feedback to novels, short stories, etc. I write fantasy/dark fantasy/horror.

xanaphia

Registered
Reaction score
Throwing my hat into the ring as well. I am currently editing a trilogy of dark fantasy novels, and am about one third of the way into book 2. I also already have a discord channel set up, which was originally intended to be a dook discussion group, but has morphed into a general writer's group. Inclusion is very important to us, so no harrassment of any sort will be tolerated. Pm me if interested in joining!

relletyrots

The One Who Tells The Story
Registered
Reaction score
There's already an abundance of replies here, but I'd like to add mine nonetheless. I write SciFi and Fantasy, usually inclined toward the dark side.

I'm currently finishing my first novel, but have other shorter pieces I can share until it's done. Of course, that's not a one-way arrangement, and I would be happy to provide feedback for others as well.

I'm open to both a partnership or a group setup. Anyone interested, feel free to PM me.

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I'm in need of critique partners! My preferred genres are Science Fiction and Dark Fantasy. I have experience critiquing these as well as Erotica.

My projects change from month-to-month. Next month, I'll be talking about novels while asking for feedback on short stories, mostly flash. I don't mind swapping flash for chapters. A partnership or group would work.

Note: I need a partner or group who doesn't discriminate against LGBTQ+ stories.

Communication options... I've tried to use Discord; it never works. My podunk internet might be too unstable. Chatting is difficult, too. Any method that doesn't require immediate responses for long stretches of time is fine. Email might be best for me.

Please PM or let me know how to respond if interested.

ktdude

Registered
Reaction score
I'm going to throw my hat into the ring too, although I'm a little off-genre - more speculative fiction. I'm also a rookie, so looking to hone my own critiquing skills as well as receive crits on my own work - I'm currently 70% of the way through the first draft of a speculative near future/dreamworld novel, and am also writing bits of short fiction here and there. If this sounds good to anyone give me a shout, or I'd be up for joining a group if one emerges.

Ezakima

Registered
Reaction score
I'm in need of critique partners! My preferred genres are Science Fiction and Dark Fantasy. I have experience critiquing these as well as Erotica.

My projects change from month-to-month. Next month, I'll be talking about novels while asking for feedback on short stories, mostly flash. I don't mind swapping flash for chapters. A partnership or group would work.

Note: I need a partner or group who doesn't discriminate against LGBTQ+ stories.

Communication options... I've tried to use Discord; it never works. My podunk internet might be too unstable. Chatting is difficult, too. Any method that doesn't require immediate responses for long stretches of time is fine. Email might be best for me.

Please PM or let me know how to respond if interested.

I'm going to throw my hat into the ring too, although I'm a little off-genre - more speculative fiction. I'm also a rookie, so looking to hone my own critiquing skills as well as receive crits on my own work - I'm currently 70% of the way through the first draft of a speculative near future/dreamworld novel, and am also writing bits of short fiction here and there. If this sounds good to anyone give me a shout, or I'd be up for joining a group if one emerges.

Perhaps we could start some sort of critique group. I can critique both sci-fi/fantasy and speculative. I write dark fantasy. Working on a dark portal fantasy right now, and have a horror novella I still have to revise. If interested, PM me.

timebider

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I'll toss my name into the hat, too. I'm sick to death of looking at my own MG semi-fantasy and the former MFA student in me is just itching to read for fellow strugglers. ;)

Cascada

Registered
Reaction score
I think I accidentally deleted my original post (sorry, I find navigating difficult on my phone).

Here I go!

*pokes head into thread* I am also looking for writing/critique/beta buddies.

I reply quickly via email (daily, unless I'm busy), and I aim to send feedback as soon as I can.

I don't send anything for feedback unless I'm at least 80% happy with it, and tend to edit and fiddle a lot, so you may not get stuff from me for weeks on end, but I am editing a dark fantasy short story that I'll need feedback on soon, and a sci-fi novel.

I give honest, but gentle feedback. My aim is to provide clarity, and to encourage, and I highlight strengths as well as perceived weaknesses. I also appreciate the same in return.

Pop me a PM if interested!

ejhbarrett

Registered
Reaction score
Hey! I'm searching for a longterm CP. My ideal CP already has a completed first draft (or close to complete) so we can bounce chapters. My ideal CP could provide feedback on YA character voice, description, and readability. My strengths are story, plotting and pacing.

I'm writing a YA Fantasy Series. Book One is in Draft 3 stage and I'm partway into Book 2. My goals are to complete 1st 3 books before taking the publishing plunge.

BOOKS THAT EPITOMIZE ME AS A READER: Sirens of Titan (Vonnegut), Dune (Herbert), Snowcrash (Stephenson), HP (Rowling)

If you're searching for a CP relationship, E-mail me at [email protected] and we can see if we're the right fit for each other :) Exchange story blurbs, and if our stories are mutually intriguing, share a chapter or two before committing to anything.

ktdude

Registered
Reaction score
Sorry for dropping off the planet here - I am still interested in being a part of this group or establishing a couple of useful partnerships. I will drop PMs/email as appropriate. Hopefully something will work :)

Sabih888

Registered
Reaction score
We should make a whatsapp chat ! we could chat and talk about books and stuff ;) .
Hands up if ya like the idea!

Errant_Fragments

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not wholly sure what Discord is but I'm in a similar kind of boat as everyone else where - mostly fantasy with a dash of horror in my main work with a separate strand of ghost stories that seem to keep getting written when I'm procrastinating on difficult problems. The main book is in various states of disrepair, like a lot of fantasy writers I started with world building and then I've got 3 different attempts at starting and whenever I start the project just seems to keep getting bigger.

Would be great to join a group to swap stuff with and see if what tumbles out of that together

folclor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Yeah, that'd be great! (will state I do love horror)

Discord is a messenger somewhat like Skype. I find it easier to use and less intrusive, but if not everyone wants to use it we should make something that's much more easily joined and used.

Does anyone have a non-Discord or Skype option? I'm not really sure, myself, but I will research.

CindyRae

Registered
Reaction score
I'd be interested in the Discord group. Also, I'm making a separate post looking for a one-on-one partnership on more of a sounding board, pre-beta-reader basis.

folclor

Registered
Reaction score
Website
Well, I'm up for making a Discord group or server for it. If y'all are up for that I'll PM you with my Discord name and we can all come together on that!

Ezakima

Registered
Reaction score
Well, I'm up for making a Discord group or server for it. If y'all are up for that I'll PM you with my Discord name and we can all come together on that!

Yes, I'm still up for it. I'm semi-familiar with discord and already have an account, so everything is good on my end. If you want, we could post the discord and anyone interested in joining can join that way, instead of endless PMs back and forth. Whichever way you want to do it. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.