Help with terminology

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
Hello

I haven't really posted on AW yet, but have been lurking for a bit, trying to learn as much as I can from the wisdom here. I was hoping someone in this forum could help me with a small concern I have with the MS I am revising.

This is a rom-com, and while both main characters are straight, there are a few LGBTQ characters in it. In the scene I am worried about, the main character is talking with her grandmother, and her grandmother repeats a rumor she heard that a certain group of men in the story are all gay. It's important to note, this is an immigrant family. The grandmother is a Muslim Indian, and she is quite conservative, religious, and English is not her first language. I struggled to find the right word for grandma to call the gay men: something old-fashioned, and moderately but not jarringly offensive. It needs to be funny, too (the book is a comedy). I settled on the grandma calling them fruit at first, then when the MC doesn't understand, she says poofs.

As these terms aren't really used mainstream anymore, I am concerned that they are actually more offensive then I think they are. (and if they are harming someone, I am so sorry for using them). Is there a better funny and outdated term I can use here that wouldn't cause harm? Important to note: the MC does n't really call her grandmother out at that point, but does later in the book when her grandmother's intolerance plays a bigger role in the plot. Maybe the words are okay if the MC vehemently calls grandma out right away?

Thank you for your assistance!

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard "poofs", "pooves" ("hoof"/"hooves" plural rules), and "poofters" still in use, more in a comedic sense, though. The impact might have lessened due to the passage of time, probably a bit more common in the 1970s, but they're actually much less offensive than "fag", "homo", or "queer" to me. Then again, I'm in the US where it's much more common to use "fag", "homo", or "queer". Also in the US, "fruits" was probably used more in through the 1980s than it is currently but considering the grandmother's age, she might use these terms more frequently. As for the offensive nature of the terms, I wouldn't worry about it. You're writing a character who would use these terms as part of her vocabulary so if the readers find it offensive, it's on them. People are going to use such language, no matter when or where the story is set so if it fits the character, use the language.

Last edited:

FJaneH

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you! This is very helpful. The woman would have moved from India to Canada in the 80's so I can imagine she would have learned the outdated terms then.