Not open for further replies.

Netz

Freshly caught writing bug lives!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The view from my stained glass window suggests by
Hi folks!

My 5-year-old Dell Inspiron 7520 died on me last night. :( When a previous PC died on me, my brother was able to put the hard drive into an 'Ice Box' so I could get all my docs,etc. I figured I'd do the same again, so I've managed to remove the hard drive (go me, lol), but now I'm stuck and need advice.

So, apparently, there are these new-fangled things called hard drive readers/docking ports these days. :) I'm presuming one of those is what I need, so does anybody have any recommendations? (And are they pretty much plug-and-play kind of things?) My hard drive is 7cm x 10cm (I don't know whether that's just industry standard these days, but I figure the more info you have, the more you'll be able to help me. I am so not a techy person ,lol). I'm in the UK, so Amazon.co.uk links, if you're so inclined, would be most helpful.

Thank you! :)

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, IDE and SATA is essential

Newegg and Amazon are my go-to resources so the above link from cbenoi1 should be fine :)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
IDE is the old standard. It's not uncommon for an old PC to end up in your hands and you want to download files from it after a crash. It cost a couple of dollars more compared to a drive bay.

-cb

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Yup - backwards compatibility is the rationale, as there’s still tons of IDE drives out there.

Its kind of like asking - why do I need a flathead screwdriver if all new screws are made in the Phillips head variety:)

Status
Not open for further replies.