Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
This is an easy one to kick around, and there are many obvious flaws, like Jar-Jar, and sub-par performances by Jake Lloyd and Natalie Portman. I blame the directing for that, since she's otherwise a good actress. Also the writing is often bad on a line-by-line basis (often too on the nose), which can make the performance look bad even if the actor is doing the best they can.

But an overarching flaw I noticed is that the movie tells rather than shows its stakes. The main external conflict of the plot is the blockade of Naboo, which they keep telling us is starving the people, but we never see any starving people on Naboo. And the main external conflict driving Anakin is that he and his mother are enslaved. But we never see any slaves on Tatooine being mistreated. Anakin's mother seems to live a comfortable domestic life with no obligations other than taking care of Anakin, and Anakin works as a technician in a shop. We don't see anyone doing hard labor in mines.

Versus in Episode IV we see Luke's foster parents incinerated in act one.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
George Lucas got too big and powerful to say no to. And for all his genius as a movie producer, Lucas is a competent director at best, and he is unfortunately not a good writer at all. Yet no-one was brave enough to stand up to his excesses. And his excesses are legion. There's the show-not-tell issues, to be sure, and Jar Jar Binks, but I think at the core of the problem with the prequels is Lucas was unsuccessful at capturing the tone of the original trilogy. It's like he didn't understand why his own movies worked in the first place. Somehow we went from the campy but spirited mashup of old adventure serials that made the original films, to a hot mess of dull characters making dull speeches past each other, fart jokes, and racial stereotyping. George Lucas thought they were the same thing. No-one else did.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
He believed he knew what people wanted, which was a cute kid, Midichlorians, and 1 ethnic stereotype = 1 alien.

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I was under the impression that a great deal of the credit for the success of the original trilogy was owed to Marcia Lou Lucas, the award-winning film editor George Lucas divorced in 1983.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I was under the impression that a great deal of the credit for the success of the original trilogy was owed to Marcia Lou Lucas, the award-winning film editor George Lucas divorced in 1983.

Very interesting. I had guessed that A New Hope was fixed in editing. Lucas also personally wrote and directed that, and it's a very good film, obviously. But watching the special edition scene where Han meets Jabba, it's just a terrible scene story-wise, to say nothing of silly stepping-on-tail gags. It totally neuters the tension that Jabba is hunting down Han and not going to give him any leeway or second chances. This scene was in the original script, and supposedly cut for budget reasons, but I think would have been cut anyway for story reasons by a good editor.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the reminders. But what else does everyone even remember about it?

It SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED. Seriously. On a monumental level. It seriously SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED. I mean serious galactic moose. It truly and deeply SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUCKED.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I remember that they flipped through a couple of kid's natural history books instead of using their imaginations to create some of the creatures. The plot was heavy on giant angler fish and Diplocaulus. Or maybe that was one of the other films in the I-III trilogy. I've tried to wipe it all from my memory.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
I liked the Naboo design and architecture. It was a departure from the usual futuristic look with a more historical style. The cultural details of Princess Amidala's outrageous outfits, hairstyles, and makeup were interesting. The decoy plot element was clever.

Enlightened

Always Learning
Registered
Reaction score
Darth Maul did not blossom to full, commercial maturity.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
TBH, I don't think it was nearly as bad as Ep. 2. And I liked it as a teen because I felt I was supposed to. I remember liking Qui-Gon Jinn a lot a lot, though I think that was the moment Liam Neeson stopped saying yes to every movie where he gets to be a badass with a sword. Also, Ewan McGregor has mad action star chops, though I don't think they were utilized properly.

I don't think I actually hate Phantom Menace so much as it was the moment SW stopped mattering to me. I dunno, the most off-putting part of it to me was the odd fetishization of childhood surrounding young Anakin, say what you will about Hayden Christianson and his dislike of sand, at least he was moderately convincing as a troubled young man who's willingness to believe what he needs to send him down a dark path. Jake Lloyd (though no fault of his own, and srsly, poor kid) ends up sucking all the air out of the film with his perfect beautiful pureness, and I always find depictions like that to be blinkered, if not vaguely troubling. Plus, he seemed very confused about what pod-racing is.

I remember liking the Trade Federation robots, mainly because of how dim and incompetent they were. Not their fault they were caught in a war that made no lick of sense.

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Re: Jake Lloyd's character, I think he was written with a misconception that kids relate to characters younger than themselves. Personally, as a child I only ever wanted to read about/watch characters who were at least a couple of years older than me. Something with a 9 year old protagonist (thanks Wookiepedia) would have seemed childish to me past the age of about seven. And that's the whole thing with the tone of the prequels, particularly TPM. It's childish. Not as in 'something kids of all ages can enjoy', childish as in 'I can't believe I paid to watch 2 hrs of animals farting and precocious little kids shouting 'yippee' while they blow enemy troops to shreds'.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
In retrospect, I would have been happy with a movie about Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi having cool, heroic adventures, and skipping the kid entirely.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
In retrospect, I would have been happy with a movie about Qui-Gon Jinn and Obi-Wan Kenobi having cool, heroic adventures, and skipping the kid entirely.

obi-wan is getting his own movie.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
When TPM opened in Seattle, a friend and I went to see it at the Cinerama downtown, which projected movies on a long, curved screen -- a unique moviegoing experience. It was a lark, neither she nor I was much into it, but we just wanted to do something interesting. I got itchy butt about 15 minutes in. During the marine sequence, where big fish get eaten by even bigger fish as they're chasing the sub of the good guys... I started checking my watch. Every ten minutes from then on, I checked my watch. "Is this OVER? Is this OVER?"

So many things wrong with it.