Dorothy Dunnett The Game of Kings book 1 of the Lymond Chronicles Kindle sale

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is the first book of a six-book series of historical novels set in the tale end of "Bloody" Queen Mary and Elizabeth I.

Locations range from Scotland, Britain and Ireland to Turkey, France, and Russia.

I love these books with a fierce passion. These are some of my dessert island books. I first read them when I was a junior in college, and they helped convince me to change from a music history major an English major, and a Medievalist.

The hero Lymond is complex, and so is the heroine and the other characters. The prose is lovely. The plot is full of twists and turns.

The first book The Game of Kings is currently on sale at Amazon as an ebook for 1.99. If you don't read ebooks, go to your library and borrow it.

* That's an AW affiliate link. But the book is also on sale at other ebook vendors.

I. Love. These. Books.

Maryn

Sees All
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just bought it. Not sure when I'll read it, but hey, at that price, with trusted recommendations, you'd be silly not to pounce, right?

talktidy

Registered
Reaction score
A friend lent me her copy. Didn't know quite what to expect, but it was a read-until-early-hours-and-then-feel-like-shit-the-following-day-thing because I was so tired. Must have read them over thirty years ago and I can still remember bits.

She kind of put me off ever writing historical fiction. It's impossible to imagine I could ever write as well as that.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I found a couple of them at the local public library. I'd been told to read them by a fan.

I started reading just before finals week during my junior year of college.

Guess who stayed up WAY too late reading?