character capitalization

Calhoon

Registered
Reaction score
Struggling with how to capitalize some character names.

For example I have a character known just as the beast. The other characters don't know his real name, they call him the beast, and in the narration he's called the beast, as in "jhlkjhk", the beast said.

In a situation like this would it be: the beast, the Beast, or The Beast?

Figured it would be the Beast, but wasn't entirely sure as it's always accompanied by the and it feels like that's part of his name as well.

Same thing with the Other Mr. Roberts. Have two characters, Mr Roberts and the other Mr. Roberts. Here would you capitalize the Other if it's treated as part of his name?

EmmaSohan

Banned
Reaction score
I don't know the correct answer, or even if there is a correct answer. But having wrestled with this for a whole book, I think the only good answer is The Beast. Or, to be more precise, once that actually is a name, you should capitalize it.

Then it becomes your choice. Writing The Other Mr. Roberts makes it a name; the other Mr. Roberts refers to a Mr. Roberts.

And, in a way, it's a standard problem. Is it the University of Michigan or The University of Michigan?

Sarahrizz

Registered
Reaction score
Website
writingstudiosarah.blogspot.com
I am no expert in grammar, but I'd say it depends on your story. If you have no intention of ever naming this beast, then capitalizing it seems best. especially if he's a major part in atleast a third of your story.
If he's only a minor character, or you intend to name him in a later chapter, I wouldn't. Capitalization would bring focus onto his character, and onto the Beastliness of his character. If that makes sense. It all depends on what you, the author, want to show your readers.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'd capitalize the B in the Beast and the O in the Other Mr. Roberts. You don't ordinarily capitalize the word the in titles that appear within text. It's the New York Times, not The New York Times, if the old ways are still in effect.

So I'd go with the Beast and the Other Mr. Roberts, because they're being used as name substitutes.

Maryn, who actually knows something once in a while

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I think capitalizing "beast" depends on whether the POV character sees it as an actual name or not. In this case, I'd guess that is how the character feels, so I'd capitalize it.

EmmaSohan

Banned
Reaction score
I'd capitalize the B in the Beast and the O in the Other Mr. Roberts. You don't ordinarily capitalize the word the in titles that appear within text. It's the New York Times, not The New York Times, if the old ways are still in effect.

So I'd go with the Beast and the Other Mr. Roberts, because they're being used as name substitutes.

Maryn, who actually knows something once in a while

Students and educators, subscribe to The New York Times today and save up to 70% on unlimited access to NYTimes.com.

I found one use of "the" in their name, but now I can't find it.

Baum, who had to deal with this issue a few times, wrote "the Scarecrow".

But I think "Where's the Beast?" is inconsistent, technically. If the name is Beast, the person would say "Where's Beast?"

Calhoon

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Think I'll go with the Beast, the Other Mr. Smith. For some reason can't drop the the.