Another question about re-submission etiquette

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Hi, I received a rejection a month or so ago from an agent I though would be a really great fit for me - I accepted it and moved on. My conundrum now is that said agent recently posted that she is specifically looking for a story with two particular elements, both of which perfectly fit my book. 'But she already rejected you' I hear you cry, and I agree that I should probably leave well alone. But I have a niggle that won't leave me be. You see I'm not particularly good at queries or synopses - terrible in fact - and I was wondering if my submission possibly sat in a slush pile and was perhaps passed over without due consideration.

Now, I'm not saying that it was, or even that my novel is so fabulous it's inconceivable it wasn't immediately picked up - I would simply like to know if this is a possible scenario, and that if it is, and I can write a better query/synopsis would it be acceptable to re-submit said novel to the same agent after such a short period of time given her recent posting?

Or should I just leave it the hell alone?

pingle

Registered
Reaction score
Where did you read it? Twitter? Can you reply and ask? As it's so soon I think transparency would be best. Mention you were new to cover letters but the book has components they are currently looking for. We're all human, they know about rookie errors, maybe they will give it another go?

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We all like clutching at straws. :Hug2:

Leave it.

If there had been anything in the original Query Letter, synopsis or manuscript that matched what she was looking for, she would have spotted it.

I see you're still revising. Wait till it's all polished, and you've got a better grip on Query Letters, and writing a good synopsis etc., and then....:Trophy:

JMHO.

And, ooooops - Welcome :hi:

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
Yup. Leave it alone.

We've pretty much all been in the "This agent (or editor) says they're looking for this thing I've written!" boat. And queried and gotten a rejection. And then wondered if maybe the problem was the query. And sometimes it is, but you won't improve things by trying to write a better query and resending it.

If you think the query is the problem, then polish it. (Also finish up the revisions and polishing on the MS so you're not caught off guard when someone does ask to see it.) Find other agents and query them.

(I've found, in general, that folks who are looking for a specific thing are likely to cast a wider net in trying to find that one MS that is what they want. If they've rejected you already it's because there's something there they aren't keen* on - not just that they didn't see the bits that are what they've said they want.)

*And this isn't necessarily a bad thing. But, FREX, some folks don't like Steampunk with magic, so no matter how hard one tries to emphasize the "But Steampunk!" parts to an agent looking for Steampunk without magic, a novel with magic** it in will not get a read from them.

**Yes, true story. But I eventually found an agent who didn't mind about the magic bits.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I have found that I get fewer requests from agents who asked for something like my book on #mswl than agents who did not. Unless it's really specific, those agents are probably already seeing things in their slush like that thing they want, but not yet the right book. The #MSWL comes from longing to find the one that is right for them. It seems inconsistent to the writer on the other end, who isn't seeing exactly what the agent wants, just the one or two elements they tweet or blog about was right there in the book they rejected. To the agent, they were probably sad that there was something about the book that didn't work for them after seeing those desired elements in it.

Lady Fox

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice. I had one foot in the 'nothing ventured, nothing gained' camp, and another in the 'hell no woman, what are you THINKING' camp. I think I'll leave well alone and move on. Plenty more fish in the sea etc etc - I really did like her though:cry:

On the upside, another agent I really like has yet to respond so I'll look at the glass as being still half full (until some b*std drinks it!)

Thanks again