Responsibility to Represent

eaglethe2nd

Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, I'm very new here, so good to meet you all along with my question.

I'm running into a bit of an impasse with my current project because I'm finding it difficult to make it clear that some of my LGBTQ characters are, in fact, LGBTQ. Most notably, one of my major characters is a lesbian, but it's hard to get that across since she isn't out to the main character and everything is told from his perspective. I can't think of a way to unambiguously say she's a lesbian without either switching perspectives (which I don't want to do) or having someone out her (obviously problematic). Her being a lesbian doesn't affect the plot of the story, but I also really don't want to omit that.

I'm not sure if I'm really looking for an answer to my specific problem, since I think I just need to work out the answer myself, but thinking about this topic generated some questions: first, how much do you believe counts as representation? Can I subtly hint and hope that readers get the idea, or is it necessary to outright state that the character is a lesbian? And second, do you think that we as writers have a responsibility to represent LGBTQ characters (or really all types of diverse characters) in our writing? Have I failed as an LGBTQ writer if I don't make it clear when my characters are LGBTQ?

Again, excited to join the community, hoping for some insightful opinions.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Hello and welcome.

I'm wondering if it's first person or not. If so, I don't really see a way for you to get across that she is a lesbian without the pov character knowing. None come to mind for me, at any rate, aside from relying on stereotypes. Is there a reason the pov can't know this about her? How does it relate to the story?

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Is there a reason the pov can't know this about her? How does it relate to the story?

Those are the questions to answer.

Here's another:

How does one "know" someone is a lesbian in real life? It's not always easy—and people often get it wrong.

The two best guides are that she tells you, or she introduces you to her spouse—but in the second instance, she might identify as bi, or various other kinds of orientations.

So that brings you back to KTC's excellent questions:

Is there a reason the pov can't know this about her? How does it relate to the story?

cool pop

It's Cool, Miss Pop if You're Nasty
Registered
Reaction score
Why not do it in a conversation? Have the character talk to the main character and say something like, "Hey, there's this new chick at work. Man, she's hot. I'm thinking I have a shot with that." Something like that. You get the info out quick and easy.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Why not do it in a conversation? Have the character talk to the main character and say something like, "Hey, there's this new chick at work. Man, she's hot. I'm thinking I have a shot with that." Something like that. You get the info out quick and easy.

:Wha:

Jennie

Registered
Reaction score

I agree with cool pop. Something said in a conversation seems to me the best way to show that your character is a lesbian: have you tried to write a personality "questionnaire" for this character? If you know what makes her heart beat, what she wants to defend, her political views on things, memories, you should be able to have her speak out about things that matter to her (going to a gay pride, spending an evening with a friend who broke up with her lover, reading a book written by a lesbian author, defending same sex marriage...).

NateCrow

Registered
Reaction score
If you wanted it to be more subtle, he could catch her checking out a beautiful woman. He may not think much of it himself, but the very fact that it's mentioned in the story should give it enough significance to get the point across to the reader.

Last edited:

shadowsminder

writing in the shadows
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowsinmind.carrd.co
I just need to work out the answer myself, but thinking about this topic generated some questions: first, how much do you believe counts as representation? Can I subtly hint and hope that readers get the idea, or is it necessary to outright state that the character is a lesbian? And second, do you think that we as writers have a responsibility to represent LGBTQ characters (or really all types of diverse characters) in our writing? Have I failed as an LGBTQ writer if I don't make it clear when my characters are LGBTQ?

Hi! I'm also a new member of WC!

I agree that you'll need to work out what you want to portray. My advice there, anyway, is that as long as the POV character sees the other character as straight, and her sexuality doesn't matter for the story, then it's not going to matter to the reader. You could tell fans that she's a lesbian, and you'll be JK Rowling to them.

Your questions for this thread are broader.

What do I believe counts as representation?
Hmmm... one of the meanings of representation is to serve as a symbol. Whatever else the character is, she's not standing in for lesbians if most readers will assume she's straight all the way through the story. Hints are fine, but they'd need to be enough for a cold reader to understand.

Do I think that we as writers have a responsibility to represent LGBTQ characters (or really all types of diverse characters) in our writing?
Yes. No particular writer must represent everyone. Someone who wants to write the same types of characters that saturate most markets might still write stories of value. I just think writers capable of writing in good representation should try to do that. We have hundreds of years of fictional history setting heteronormative expectations. The world can benefit from the diversity in fiction.

Have you failed as an LGBTQ writer if you don't make it clear when my characters are LGBTQ?
That is entirely dependent on your goals. I'm queering up as many stories as I can. That's my choice. However, sometimes, the sexuality and gender of all the characters isn't a big enough part of the story to matter. Sometimes, the main character is a straight(ish), White(ish), cis (wo)man who wants to fit in with the majority. My stories about straight or ambiguous characters don't change my identity.

Last edited:

JustinLadobruk

Registered
Reaction score
JK Rowling has said that Dumbledore was gay. It never once came up in the books as he never had any romances.

My MC is a bisexual woman. Three chapters in, this has not come up. It really won't come up until a romance starts, which might not even be in book one.

I don't see a problem.

Last edited:

Princess Of Needles

wants to poke all the shiny things
Registered
Reaction score
JK Rowling has said that Dumbledore was gay. It never once came up in the books as he never had any romances.

My MC is a bisexual woman. Three chapters in, this has not come up. It really won't come up until a romance starts, which might not even be in book one.

I don't see a problem.

The Dumbledore thing may not have been a problem, but it wasn't "representation" either. Having a character be confirmed as LGBT by the creator without actual canonical mention of that identity isn't the same thing as actually reading about a character with LGBT experiences. And quite frankly, when we repeatedly give JKR ally-ship credit for Dumbledore, it's kind of a slap in the face to all the LGBT creators who actually write LGBT characters on a regular basis.

MoonTheLune

Registered
Reaction score
Have you failed as an LGBTQ writer if you don't make it clear when my characters are LGBTQ?

Oof, I feel this. It's a constant struggle for me. My two main characters are a bi woman and a pan fella, and they're in an open straight relationship with each other so it's... it's internalized biphobia all over again for me to be perfectly honest.

I feel so strange classifying my work as “queer lit” as if it's the defining feature of the story. It very much is not. But on the other hand, I can't exactly not do that and expect no confusion when it comes out later in the narrative that the male lead has had a handful of male lovers, and the female lead is currently crushing hard on a woman.

From talking to other writers, other queer folk, and particularly other queer writers, the consensus I've come to is that simply including the tag of “queer” is common practice if it describes the author. We write what we know and who we are, so me being bi is inevitably going to reflect in my writing.

Still feels super weird to use though.

I just think writers capable of writing in good representation should try to do that. We have hundreds of years of fictional history setting heteronormative expectations. The world can benefit from the diversity in fiction.

Very well put, Aspirit! Be the representation you wish to see, right?

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
:welcome:

Of course, bi-sexual and pan-sexual people are still themselves no matter who they are involved with at any given time (I personally find it erasurist to define said relationships as heterosexual, and there's plenty of sociological precedent to label relationships as "bisexual" when the bisexual partner is self-aware and open).

As long as the narrative does not betray a character's identity...

:Shrug: