Joyful June - 500 words per day editing/writing - all genres welcome

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
erinkendall.wordpress.com
Here we are in June! The year is almost half over!

How did you do in May? Did you make your goals or fall a bit short?

What are your goals for June?

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I made my May goal of finishing the 2nd round of edits on Fireborn. I turned it in a day early. ;)

I also have a cover! And it's beautiful! I'll share it sometime soon.

Goals for June:

~2nd round edits on the secret project
~Oubliette words, if possible
~20 pages on big editing project

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
May was weird for personal reasons, and I didn't get nearly as much done as I wanted.

I did get through about half my revisions. AND I joined Sage's beta project. AND I published a short story that got a better reception on Twitter than, well, anything else I've ever done. I even got the newsletter out on time!

Okay, I feel a little better now. :)

For June, I need to FINISH MY REVISIONS. Hoping to do that in the first half of the month, and then I can get back to the query letter.

I feel like i'm procrastinating.

Well, anyway - I'll try to be more consistent with updates this month. :D

Brechin Frost

Registered
Reaction score
I finished my edits on the 29th. I would've been finished two days before but I decided I didn't like roughly 200 words and rewrote that portion a dozen times before I was satisfied.

June, I'm going to flirt with writing something new but for the first week, I'm going to take some time off, enjoy a visit from my family and play some basketball.

Last edited:

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Saoirse - congrats on finishing up Fireborn :Thumbs:

Liz - Hope things have gotten to normal for you and you get back on track

Brechin - congrats on wrapping up the edits, good luck with the new stuff

May was kinda dismal for me, didn't get as much done as I would have liked. Oh well, moving on. For June I'm looking to send out queries once again and decide which of my newer projects I want to concentrate on most instead of jumping around (Although there will be some jumping around)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Brechin, I feel your pain on the query. I've been procrastinating on that for <mumble> months now.

Not a lot done today - couple of short chapters that didn't need a lot of work. But it's still the weekend, so I suppose that's kinda OK. :)

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I hate querying. Don't you hate it? It's the worst. There should be a service that handles all the querying for writers.

I think Absolute Write is the service. :)

It's amazing, because I can read someone else's query and think "Oh, this works and this doesn't, and they should say more of this and less of that" and it seems so clear. My own queries? I'm mired in the swamp.

I had a query that worked for me (sort of), but when I read it now it's cringe-worthy. I hate the whole process, beginning to end.

Querying = :Headbang:

EXACTLY.

Got some revisions done yesterday, but Real Life has reared its ugly head today and I'm not sure how much time I'm going to get. I also need to write something new - I'm getting crabby from lack of writing.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Liz - Hang in there. Hope things turn around soon.

I've been working on some editing and revisions these last couple of days.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, didn't realize so many days had gone by since I stopped in to say hello, :hi:

So how's everyone doing? How are your projects coming along?

So far today I've done about 250 new words and am working on a formatting error I realized I had made.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
Kind of in regrouping mode here. Too much going on, and tbh I'm not coping all that well with any of it. Better today, though, for reasons unknown, so I'll take advantage!

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
So I'm procrastinating, I think. I'm reworking a section of the story that's given me a lot of trouble - I know what happens, but the pacing is giving me fits. And it's one of the parts of the story that Certain People referenced when they told me I was a bad writer and lacked the skills to improve this MS. So maybe there's a psychological block here as well.

Somebody poke me with the stick, please. :D

I did write a little bit on a short - just enough to realize I need to start two scenes later, but progress is progress!

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
LIZ - :poke:
Progress is progress, so congrats. I'd like to see you kick aside what "Certain People" had to say (a difficult thing to do). I read the opening to your "The Cold Between" novel and I fully believe you have the talent to get over this obstacle you're now facing. It will come to you, probably when you least expect it, as a sudden epiphany I'm guessing.

I haven't added a whole lot in the way of "new" words of late. About 150 so far today, but it's still early maybe I'll hit 500 later. I've been doing some research and tossing things around in my head. It will lead me somewhere, eventually, just not sure where or when.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:pokes Liz gently with a stick: You are a great writer. Don't let anyone get into your head and tell you otherwise. I will smack them with a fish.

Zan75 - Tossing stuff around is good. :D

It's been a rough ..week? I have an abscessed tooth that was causing me some serious problems. Got a root canal today, my first ever. I also have been inching along on the big editing job. And I have a small freelance job due tomorrow that I hope to finish today. No fiction words. I hope to change that soon.

lizmonster

Possibly A Mermaid Queen
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Website
elizabethbonesteel.com
I haven't added a whole lot in the way of "new" words of late. About 150 so far today, but it's still early maybe I'll hit 500 later. I've been doing some research and tossing things around in my head. It will lead me somewhere, eventually, just not sure where or when.

This is all important stuff. There are things that need to be tossed around for a while before they can be written. Go, you! :hooray:

It's been a rough ..week? I have an abscessed tooth that was causing me some serious problems. Got a root canal today, my first ever. I also have been inching along on the big editing job. And I have a small freelance job due tomorrow that I hope to finish today. No fiction words. I hope to change that soon.

YOWCH on the tooth! I'm sorry. :( Root canals are no fun, either. But progress on work is a good thing! Fiction will be there. :)

Thanks to you both for poking me with a stick. It did help! (And thanks for the kind words about the book, Zan - you made me remember how many times I revised that wee little prologue before I was happy with it. :)) I revised almost a whole chapter, which may not seem like much, but a lot of it was a rewrite. This book will be written, and if I can't sell it to a publisher, I'll put it out myself and make some pizza money off it. :D

Also, some person on Twitter today was asking for recs for character-driven SF and I replied "um, mine, I think" which is the most marketing I've done in a while so go me. :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Here we are about midmonth. How's everyone doing? How are your respective works progressing?

Saoirse - Sorry to hear about your root canal. No fun to be had in that. Hope it went well and you're doing better.

Liz - Thumbs up on the rewrite. Keep it up.

I added a couple hundred new words today. It's moves the progress bar a little bit further along. I'll take the small victories :)

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Brechin - Good job, sounds like you're making progress.

I had a good last couple of days. Started out just adding a simple paragraph description which turned into about 1500 new words that let me connect two sections of the story together.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
:cheers everyone:

Tooth is feeling much better, but with my existing facial nerve pain, it's hard to tell exactly. But I'm pretty sure.

Been slogging away at the big project. I'm on page 55. I've been meaning to start editing the secret project again, but I haven't really felt up to it. Been exhausted.

Zan75

Registered
Reaction score
Salutations everyone :hi:

Saoirse - Happy to hear you are feeling better. I just saw your footnote "Big Editing Project That's Making Me Question My Sanity", very amusing. Hope you aren't completely losing it :)

I've moved back to pen and paper again, making progess, I'm finding that to be a more productive method of late.

Saoirse

Mi verkas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Zan75 - LOL, so far I am still sane. :D

I managed to squeak out around 30 pages of edits on the secret project last night. Felt good. Now it's back to the BEPTCMMQMS. ;) BEP for short.