We USers are now officially in a trade war with our border neighbors

Jan74

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No, the frightening - outright straight-from-a-dystopian-nightmare terrifying - part is that nobody is stopping his misinformed delusions from dictating policy... how he's essentially being encouraged to be more outrageous and more delusional because it sells well to the base, future and the rest of the world be damned.

Agreed!

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
No, the frightening - outright straight-from-a-dystopian-nightmare terrifying - part is that nobody is stopping his misinformed delusions from dictating policy... how he's essentially being encouraged to be more outrageous and more delusional because it sells well to the base, future and the rest of the world be damned.

This, exactly.
Nero did not have nukes.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The U.S. and Canada are nations of similar geographic size and have a similar abundance of natural resources, although not exactly the same ones, in detail. Canada has about 1/10th the population of the U.S.

The U.S. needs good trade relations with Canada more than Canada needs good trade relations with the U.S.

caw

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He(Trump)drives me batshitcrazy with his outinleftfield beliefs which are never based in fact. First the tariff on steel is because of national security and now it's because of dairy....good grief make up your mind. As for dairy, the USA over production of dairy isn't Canada's problem(we have a supply and demand system)and we allow 10% of dairy products, tariff free I might add, into our country and the USA only allows us 3%. He's just so full on nonsense and bullshit. It's frightening how misinformed and warped he is.

Beg to differ. There is a method to Our Supreme Leader's madness. It's simple. It's direct. It's as Trump as Trump gets.

The Trump Doctrine is, "We're America, Bitch."

Many of Donald Trump’s critics find it difficult to ascribe to a president they consider to be both subliterate and historically insensate a foreign-policy doctrine that approaches coherence. A Trump Doctrine would require evidence of Trump Thought, and proof of such thinking, the argument goes, is scant. This view is informed in part by feelings of condescension, but it is not meritless. Barack Obama, whose foreign-policy doctrine I studied in depth, was cerebral to a fault; the man who succeeded him is perhaps the most glandular president in American history. Unlike Obama, Trump possesses no ability to explain anything resembling a foreign-policy philosophy. But this does not mean that he is without ideas.

Over the past couple of months, I’ve asked a number of people close to the president to provide me with short descriptions of what might constitute the Trump Doctrine. I’ve been trying, as part of a larger project, to understand the revolutionary nature of Trump’s approach to world affairs. This task became even more interesting over the weekend, when Trump made his most ambitious move yet to dismantle the U.S.-led Western alliance; it becomes more interesting still as Trump launches, without preparation or baseline knowledge, a complicated nuclear negotiation with a fanatical and bizarre regime that quite possibly has his number.

Trumpian chaos is, in fact, undergirded by a comprehensible worldview, a number of experts have insisted. The Brookings Institution scholar (and frequent Atlantic contributor) Thomas Wright argued in a January 2016 essay that Trump’s views are both discernible and explicable. Wright, who published his analysis at a time when most everyone in the foreign-policy establishment considered Trump’s candidacy to be a farce, wrote that Trump loathes the liberal international order and would work against it as president; he wrote that Trump also dislikes America’s military alliances, and would work against them; he argued that Trump believes in his bones that the global economy is unfair to the U.S.; and, finally, he wrote that Trump has an innate sympathy for “authoritarian strongmen.”

The third-best encapsulation of the Trump Doctrine, as outlined by a senior administration official over lunch a few weeks ago, is this: “No Friends, No Enemies.” This official explained that he was not describing a variant of the realpolitik notion that the U.S. has only shifting alliances, not permanent friends. Trump, this official said, doesn’t believe that the U.S. should be part of any alliance at all. “We have to explain to him that countries that have worked with us together in the past expect a level of loyalty from us, but he doesn’t believe that this should factor into the equation,” the official said.

The second-best self-description of the Trump Doctrine I heard was this, from a senior national-security official: “Permanent destabilization creates American advantage.” The official who described this to me said Trump believes that keeping allies and adversaries alike perpetually off-balance necessarily benefits the United States, which is still the most powerful country on Earth. When I noted that America’s adversaries seem far less destabilized by Trump than do America’s allies, this official argued for strategic patience. “They’ll see over time that it doesn’t pay to argue with us.”

The best distillation of the Trump Doctrine I heard, though, came from a senior White House official with direct access to the president and his thinking. I was talking to this person several weeks ago, and I said, by way of introduction, that I thought it might perhaps be too early to discern a definitive Trump Doctrine.

“No,” the official said. “There’s definitely a Trump Doctrine.”

“What is it?” I asked. Here is the answer I received:

“The Trump Doctrine is ‘We’re America, Bitch.’ That’s the Trump Doctrine.”

It struck me almost immediately that this was the most acute, and attitudinally honest, description of the manner in which members of Trump’s team, and Trump himself, understand their role in the world.

I asked this official to explain the idea. “Obama apologized to everyone for everything. He felt bad about everything.” President Trump, this official said, “doesn’t feel like he has to apologize for anything America does.” I later asked another senior official, one who rendered the doctrine not as “We’re America, Bitch” but as “We’re America, Bitches,” whether he was aware of the 2004 movie Team America: World Police, whose theme song was “America, Fuck Yeah!”

“Of course,” he said, laughing. “The president believes that we’re America, and people can take it or leave it.”

America is led by a moron who goes out of his way to be boorish, rude, vulgar and nasty to our allies and praise, flatter, applaud and suck face with tyrants, autocratic strongmen, dictators, and psychopaths. Welcome to the New Abnormal.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
The Trump Doctrine is {...}
There is no Trump doctrine, lower case 'd'. He's a narcissist. Period.

Here's a rapid checklist of symptoms for your amusement ( DSM-5 ):

Symptoms of Narcissistic Personality Disorder
The definition of NPD states that it comprises of a persistent manner of grandiosity, a continuous desire for admiration, along with a lack of empathy. It starts by early adulthood and occurs in a range of situations, as signified by the existence of any 5 of the next 9 standards (American Psychiatric Association, 2013):

• A grandiose logic of self-importance
  • A fixation with fantasies of infinite success, control, brilliance, beauty, or idyllic love
  • A credence that he or she is extraordinary and exceptional and can only be understood by, or should connect with, other extraordinary or important people or institutions
  • A desire for unwarranted admiration
  • A sense of entitlement
  • Interpersonally oppressive behavior
  • No form of empathy
  • Resentment of others or a conviction that others are resentful of him or her
  • A display of egotistical and conceited behaviors or attitudes
This comes with a warning sign though. You'd be hard-pressed to find a shrink willing to poke a finger into that screwed-up gearbox in public for two reasons - a) ethics - can't pose a diagnosis without examining the patient nor can't publish the results without the patient's consent, and b) the Goldwater rule ( link ).

Trying to corner Trump's political doctrine is a fallacy at best. There is no political agenda. There is no doctrine. Only a way of life that boils down to three bullet points: Me, Myself, and I. In other words, Trump will always choose the path that makes him look good or his adversaries lesser. Instant gratification regardless of the consequences. Besides there always was and always will be a cohort of loyal minions mopping up the mess behind him. They're the ones with the pesky little agendas. THAT is what makes Trump dangerous.

-cb

Last edited:

Tazlima

Registered
Reaction score
Beg to differ. There is a method to Our Supreme Leader's madness. It's simple. It's direct. It's as Trump as Trump gets.

The Trump Doctrine is, "We're America, Bitch."

America is led by a moron who goes out of his way to be boorish, rude, vulgar and nasty to our allies and praise, flatter, applaud and suck face with tyrants, autocratic strongmen, dictators, and psychopaths. Welcome to the New Abnormal.

While I agree with the last paragraph here, I can't agree that Trump's doctrine is "We're America, Bitches," simply because from everything I've seen of the man, he never thinks in terms of "We." That "we" is wishful thinking on the part of the speakers, who are still clinging to the illusion that Trump is loyal to anybody or anything but himself, and projecting their own sense of civic pride onto an individual who, going simply by his title, reasonably SHOULD be expected to share in it, at least to some minimal degree. An unpatriotic president seems as bizarre, as almost-unthinkable, as an athiest pope.

As far as I can determine, his entire existence focuses around "I, me, mine." He views this country the same way he views his real estate, his own personal property to profit off of as he sees fit. He takes criticism of the country as a personal slight.

In light of that, I'd say his leadership style, if such a crude, childish approach to world affairs can be called a "style," is more accurately described as: "I'm America, bitch."

Last edited:

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
“They’ll see over time that it doesn’t pay to argue with us.”
The rest of the world may see in time that it's just simpler to ignore the US totally. Keep a wary eye on it from a distance, sure, but :Shrug:why waste the effort to try to work with it?

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There is no Trump doctrine, lower case 'd'.

While I agree with the last paragraph here, I can't agree that Trump's doctrine is "We're America, Bitches," simply because from everything I've seen of the man, he never thinks in terms of "We." That "we" is wishful thinking on the part of the speakers, who are still clinging to the illusion that Trump is loyal to anybody or anything but himself, and projecting their own sense of civic pride onto an individual who, going simply by his title, reasonably SHOULD be expected to share in it, at least to some minimal degree. An unpatriotic president seems as bizarre, as almost-unthinkable, as an athiest pope.

As far as I can determine, his entire existence focuses around "I, me, mine." He views this country the same way he views his real estate, his own personal property to profit off of as he sees fit. He takes criticism of the country as a personal slight.

In light of that, I'd say his leadership style, if such a crude, childish approach to world affairs can be called a "style," is more accurately described as: "I'm America, bitch."

Incorrect. The Trump Doctrine is:

"I'M America, Bitch."

Hmmmm...upon further consideration, maybe this is an more apt descriptor?

“People criticize [Trump] for being opposed to everything Obama did, but we’re justified in canceling out his policies,” one friend of Trump’s told me. This friend described the Trump Doctrine in the simplest way possible. “There’s the Obama Doctrine, and the ‘Fuck Obama’ Doctrine,” he said. “We’re the ‘Fuck Obama’ Doctrine.”

:flamethrower

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
He does spend a lot of time thinking and talking about President Obama, don't he.

It must be very painful to be that insecure...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
He does spend a lot of time thinking and talking about President Obama, don't he.

It must be very painful to be that insecure...

THIS. Trump gets accused of having a ridiculously large ego, but in fact his self-image is fragile to the point of shattering whenever anything or anyone doesn't bow down and pay obeisance to him. He never gets enough of that, so he has to provide his own self-obeisance with regularity. He is, at base, a pathetic, weak man whose defense mechanism is always a retreat into absurd braggadocio.

But, he is, de facto, the President of the United States. And he has just inadvertently, via vocal diarrhea, revealed one of his secret goals. This quote, just a day or so ago, about President Xi of China:

“They just, essentially president for life, that’s pretty good.”

We are all rightfully concerned about the First Amendment to the Constitution being under attack from Trumpians. We also need to worry about the 22nd.

caw

clintl

Represent.
Registered
Reaction score
He's basically what Joffrey would be if Joffrey was a real person.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
But, he is, de facto, the President of the United States. And he has just inadvertently, via vocal diarrhea, revealed one of his secret goals. This quote, just a day or so ago, about President Xi of China:

“They just, essentially president for life, that’s pretty good.”

We are all rightfully concerned about the First Amendment to the Constitution being under attack from Trumpians. We also need to worry about the 22nd.
... then there was this interview this morning...

https://twitter.com/atrupar/status/1007607479348363265/video/1

Trump says he wants American people to treat him like North Koreans treat totalitarian dictator Kim Jong Un.

TRUMP: "Hey, he's the head of a country, and he's the strong head -- he speaks and his people sit up at attention. I want my people to do the same."
The 22nd is the least of your constitutional problems as of now.

-cb

Last edited:

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Trump would have loved Saparmurat Niyazov (if only he could read his name). Rare to has a prospective dictator quite as undisciplined and hindbrain-dominated as Trump is, though, really unprecedented. Caligula & Nero at least knew how to play the bread-and-circuses angle, & King John actually took some interest in jurisprudence. Even Joffrey has some good idea on military reform!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think Trump wants to be a 'strong head' - he just wants to have his own way, and have people bow and scrape in his presence. This is why he freaked out over the 'take a knee' protest: when people disrespect the flag, anthem and Pledge of Allegiance, they're disrespecting him.
He's probably got people, really great, top people, working on a special salute that people can use to show their love and respect.

SWest

In the garden...
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I don't think Trump wants to be a 'strong head' - he just wants to have his own way, and have people bow and scrape in his presence. This is why he freaked out over the 'take a knee' protest: when people disrespect the flag, anthem and Pledge of Allegiance, they're disrespecting him.
He's probably got people, really great, top people, working on a special salute that people can use to show their love and respect.

He has, however, succeeded beyond expectations in propagating the false narrative that the protest postures have anything to do with disrespecting national bric-a-brac.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
Of course. In his head it's all about him, all the time. People have no other real issues, not in his eyes.
I suspect that at some level, 'people' don't exist, except to fill in the background, flesh out the setting, etc.